Skype for Android Hits The Market For All Phones Running 2.1+. No 3G/4G calling in US

Discussion in 'Android News' started by androidpolice, Oct 5, 2010.

1. androidpolice

androidpolice DF News Team Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Skype is out, and not just on Verizon anymore! Less than 2 hours ago, the new, updated Skype hit the Android Market. Unfortunately, Skype decided to stick to no calling over the mobile data connection in the US (to Skype users or phone lines). That's a bummer, but we have no other choice and use WiFi. The app weighs in at 9MB and runs on Android 2.1+.

There are some login issues with Galaxy S phones, but Skype has already acknowledged them. Give them some time to work it out.

We went hands-on and provided initial impressions and a plethora of screenshots, available right here:[Breaking, Hands-On] Skype For Android Now Available For Download In The Market For All Phones! Still No Calling Over Mobile Data In The US
  2. Delirious17

Delirious17 New Member

So what's the difference between this and skype mobile?
  3. virus786

virus786 New Member

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the old skype did not allow you to make wifi calls, thats what everybody always complained about. Saying its useless without wifi.

Now it can finally use wifi? but not 3g?
  4. jdx

jdx New Member

I dont get it either. Are there now 2 skype versions?
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

so this allows wifi calling? awesome!
  6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

it would actually be more awesome if it actually installed without FCing hahaa...needs a lot of work but I'm sure they'll fix it
  7. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Android needs a version if 3g unrestrictor like they have on the iphone.
  8. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 New Member

this is exactly what everyone was asking for when it was 3g only, because people didnt want to have to pay for the phone anymore if they can call everyone via the wifi and now they can :) from what it seems like at least, ill try it tonight.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    The Verizon version doesn't ding your minutes if you're calling other Skype users. For US users all calls to non-Verizon numbers in-country are counted against your plan minutes if calling non-VZW customers, international calls are counted against your Skype credit. I can't speak for non-US customers.

Skype-to-Skype is free, is what I'm trying to say, even though it uses the voice network.
  10. Horch it

Horch it New Member

verizon to verizon or mobile to mobile has always been non minute incurring calls. (fragile, fragile)
  11. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

Yes, but the Sype for Verizon Mobile also allowed you to call from your mobile phone to someone using Skype on their computer, and it wouldn't count agains your mobile minute plan. It basically added all Skype users to your "free friends & family" list.
  12. furbearingmammal

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself (and, as you can see, I didn't. ;))
  13. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

So, here's what I see. Skype has two apps. One is called "Skype Mobile", and the other is just called "Skype".

"Skype Mobile" is only available to Verizon Wireless customers. It allows free calls to Skype users using your mobile phone's voice line (not data). The advantage of this is that your voice line is likely to sound better than if they had compressed it for transmission over your 3G data connection. The other benefit of using your voice connection is that you can simultaneously surf the web using Wifi (Unlike AT&T, Verizon's network can't handle simultaneous voice & 3G internet). Skype-to-Skype calls doesn't use your plan minutes.

"Skype" (available to all 2.1+ users) only uses your Wifi data connection (in the US) to make calls. It also includes multi-user chat. The review referenced in post #1 in this thread says that this app taxed the phone and that audio quality wasn't that great. I would probably only use this app as a backup to the first one, for those extremely rare moments that I have no phone service, but do have access to Wifi. Again, this is rare, but maybe if I'm in another country on vacation/cruise, this would work to call friends/family back home (but just using a calling card might be easier).
  14. Horch it

Horch it New Member

So the jist is, since it's using wifi all calls are now non minute incurring calls (not on the 3Gnet) literally matching what the original skype to skype (read computer to computer) free calling is. But now the new skype is now on the android market for all. TRUE?
  15. furbearingmammal

Correct -- but if you're on Verizon you're better off using the Skype Mobile app for Verizon phones as the sound quality is much better.
  16. Horch it

Horch it New Member

Correct -- but if you're on Verizon you're better off using the Skype Mobile app for Verizon phones as the sound quality is much better.

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Thank you!
  17. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

I can't log in now... all the recent comments say the same. This sucks that it can't be used on 3G. Wifi calls to US Numbers and to other Skype Users has been perfect! Pathetic no one can log in now.
  18. Bailers

Bailers New Member

So dumb question, but if I got a skype number then put that number in my google voice calling tree, I should be able to get calls at home on my skype number. Thus no more needed for a land line, right? Our am I missing something?
  19. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

What a fail app... 2.5 stars and no one can log in. I mean, for a company as big as Skype with 22 million people logged in at once... what is going on? I use Skype all the time and was pretty happy when I saw this app come out, now no one can log in at all.

@ Bailers - Correct, that is theoretically possible assuming your computer is on all the time with Skype. Since I use Skype all the time to call out and I have a Skype in number, this app was pretty big for me. I too use Google Voice and will be using it the same way you plan to.
  20. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

OK they fixed the login. I've waited for an app like this for over a year - almost got an ipod touch because I wanted to use Skype on a mobile device (within my home). They finally fixed the login issue, but not before the app had 2.5 star rating and about 100+ 1 star reviews. I'm on a skype to skype call and the quality is A+ and I'm loving it being mobile (within my house = wifi).

It still has some bugs - if you turn off the screen in a call, no one can hear you. Which means even more of a battery drain if you aren't plugged in.

If you go to the home screen while on a call you can raise the in call volume to increase the skype call volume (which by default is super low even at 100%).

After being on a call for an hour I lost wifi connection (the droid's wifi connection ain't that great to begin with I guess). But on the call again and doing well. (Skype is what I use to talk with GF all the time).
Search tags for this page

3g unrestrictor android

3g unrestrictor alternative for android
difference between skype and skype mobile