Skype Updated To V 1.0.1

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skype-update10.jpeg

When it comes to an update, it is always nice to know what you get. This update is for software that many have began to use more commonly, and after many tips to the developers… Skype update 1.0.1 is now available with the following PR release:

Skype 1.0.1 for Android is here.

First of all, we'd like to thank everyone for the feedback given on the initial release of Skype for Android.

With Skype for Android 1.0.1, we focused on the areas we received feedback on from our customers. In short the most important improvements for this release are:

* 320*240 and 240*400 screen resolutions are now supported.
* Hardware back key is now supported.
* Signing out from Skype now exits Skype.
* Reduced power consumption in idle mode.
* Improved login stability and behavior.
* Improved performance with large contact lists.
* Reduced application size.
* General bug fixes.

Start downloading now the updated version of Skype for Android from Android Market or browse from your phone to skype.com/m, you can also see more details on our Skype for Android page. Let us know what you think about this release by visiting our forums.

New screen resolutions supported

We have introduced support for lower screen resolutions used on many popular Android devices, including the HTC Wildfire.

Hardware back key

When sending Skype to background with hardware back key, the Skype user interface process ends, but the library process continues to run in the background. As a result, you'll still be able to receive incoming calls and IMs. This should help reduce Skype's battery consumption while it's in the background.

Signing out now exits Skype

When you sign out from Skype then it now exits the Skype application.

Grab a copy in the Market.

Source: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2010/11/skype_101_for_android.html

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i only see version 1.0.0.614 on the market

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Give this a shot: skype.com/m from your phone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm that leads you to the market and the old version...

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Until WiFi is enabled (which will be never on VZW), the Skype app is just a memory hog on my droid. Sorry... just had to rant.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until WiFi is enabled (which will be never on VZW), the Skype app is just a memory hog on my droid. Sorry... just had to rant.

But that's when you'll download Skype for Verizon which allows wifi haha

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Wait, Skype for Verizon doesn't allow WiFi but has you call an access number and uses minutes. The Skype app itself does allow WiFi calls but it isn't on 1.0.1.... I'm confused, are some of you seeing 1.0.1?????

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, Skype for Verizon doesn't allow WiFi but has you call an access number and uses minutes. The Skype app itself does allow WiFi calls but it isn't on 1.0.1.... I'm confused, are some of you seeing 1.0.1?????

I thought Skype to skype was free? skype for verizon allows wifi, and skype for android is only 3g...or the other way around. either way there are two separate apps and one allows wifi and the other allows 3g I don't know about skype-to-phone as I don't do that...

WVOz1970

Reaction score
I stand absolutely corrected. The Skype app does indeed allow WiFi. The Skype for VZW did not. And I will now do a little happy dance in the privacy of my office so no one will see. Not sure how I missed that one! Must have been sleeping when it came out.

And the version downloaded from the market was 1.0.0.614

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
So no one has seen this 1.0.1 then... OK cool.

And correct, on the Skype for Verizon as long as you are doing skype to skype it isn't supposed to use your minutes.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah the Skype for Verizon went from 1.5.0.4 (I think) to 1.5.0.16. The Skype app (by itself) also had an update.

I tried the Skype App for Verizon and it was severely limited. Skype just needs to combine the two.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
sooo... if this 1.0.1 app does exist. someone should send it to me. cause i want to try my hand at unlocking it for 3g calls in the US. cant say ill do it, but want to try