Sirius XM Android app is here

brando56894

Reaction score
I just tried it out and Slacker is still way better IMO. Since Ive had Sirius for about two years and Ive been using Slacker for about 2 months I'll weigh out the pros and cons for people who've never used Sirius.

Sirius Pros
-About 150 channels of commercial free music and talk radio ranging from Martha Stewart to christian music to death metal to playboy radio
-Actual DJs that you become "close" to since you listen to them talk about their lives a lot (Im a fan of Kayla from Octane)
-Music news
-Lots of new music
-Find artists that you would have never found yourself

Sirius Cons
-the service itself (not streaming internet radio) is pretty expensive, about $200 a year. Streaming radio only is around $36 a year
-Theres really no features in the app, you select the station you want to listen to and thats about it, you can only Pause the music.
-app doesnt auto rotate so it would be pretty annoying to use in a car dock

Slacker Pros
-Wide selection of music genres to choose from
-create your own stations tailored to your liking
-ability to "favorite" songs so they play more often than others
-ability to "ban" artists or specific songs so they wont play at all on that station
-Displays album art for the song that is currently playing, the song that was just played, and the song that will play next
-Tells you what song will play next
-Ability to skip the current song thats playing (limited to 6 an hour for free users, unlimited to paid users)
-Free
-auto rotates depending on phone orientation

Slacker Cons
-If you listen for free, ads play about every 20 minutes or so
-A one year subscription is slightly more than Sirius at $50 a year
-No DJs
-No music news
-No "brand new songs"
-Odds of finding new artists are low since the stations are tailored to artists you already now and like
- Ive noticed that songs stop playing at random points sometimes and will skip to the next song. Kind of annoying when youre a minute or two into a song you like and it skips to the next song. IDK if this happens with Sirius yet...

brando56894

Reaction score
Since I cant edit my post I make a new one..

If you already have a Sirius subscription do you have to pay a seperate fee or does this give you any kind of break? I can't see paying for it twice; I may cancel my other subscription and get this app. I have a portable satellite radio and plug the output into the in dash unit so I could do this I think.

I'm assuming you have a Stiletto also? Ive had the Stiletto 2 for about 2 years and its ok but the droid definitely blows it out of the water, I'm selling my stiletto and was about to cancel my account completely, I may just keep internet radio.

64k Internet radio used to be free and it was $3/month in addition to your normal fee for "cd quality", now I guess they did away with the free option. I used to listen to the internet radio while I was at work but forgot I had it and never canceled it, I finally just used it for about the first time in a year lol

My opinion: ditch sirius (or atleast the stiletto) and use slacker.

Silver Member
Reaction score
this sirius/xm app is the only app that has streamed all day at the office. pandora usually drops and slacker ends up eating a ton of memory and takes forever to cache between songs.

the s/x app seems to degrade performance to guarantee a signal. you can hear the stream lose quality if the app feels it's not streaming fast enough, which IMO is great for my needs.

music all day = i might foot for the internet fee.

issues636

Reaction score
this sirius/xm app is the only app that has streamed all day at the office. pandora usually drops and slacker ends up eating a ton of memory and takes forever to cache between songs.

the s/x app seems to degrade performance to guarantee a signal. you can hear the stream lose quality if the app feels it's not streaming fast enough, which IMO is great for my needs.

music all day = i might foot for the internet fee.

you seem to have gotten lucky. i dropped twice already and i've only had the app for 2 hours.
well i dropped once, where the music just stopped for whatever reason. just had to click the channel again and it started right back up. and the second time, sirius seemed to have just froze my droid. music stopped and phone locked up. i could hit the lock/unlock button on top, and it would light up the screen, i see my background, but no sliders to unlock, and no icons on screen. had to restart droid to fix it.

rcfx

Reaction score
I've been listening to this app now for about 2 hours in the car. With Pandora if someone calls, it pauses, you finish your call and Pandora starts right up. Well maybe they need to 'tweak' this new app a bit cause when you get a call and your finished, the xm app pops a box up that says data lost or something to that effect. I click and click on it repeatedly and it cannot find 'the data'. So I started up Pandora and it came on immediately. While the xm app is working it sounds great, like Pandora, but it costs money. If it was only a few bucks a month I might go for it but I see you have to have the 'premium' service, and pay extra?? I think I'll pass, and I had XM for about 8 years till last year when I retired.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ive uninstalled Pandora, Slacker, and now This XM app. I'll just continue to sync and swap my music out weekly on the SDcard.

dave4100

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but i'm guessing that this app will also be available on newer android phones. If I pay for the service, I would like to continue it on the next newer phone I purchase(Droid2,orShadow etc.). I hope this isn't just phone specific, but rather operating system specific.

pjo1966

Reaction score
I took this out for a test drive while I was driving around town. I did not get any calls while i was listening, so I couldn't test that, but I did lose my data connection a couple of times. When it started back up, it picked up right where the song left off.

I'm hoping future updates make this a little more stable, as well as adding the auto-rotate feature.

glenn

Reaction score
I'm loving this app. The graphics, the Artist and Song Title display are very impressive. I've been a Sirius & XM subscriber for years, so this needless to say, I'm happy as a pig in X#*@! :)

pjo1966

Reaction score
I got a call while listening to Sirius. The music cut out and the phone rang, except I was unable to answer the call. When the call disconnected I got the lost data message.