Sirius XM Android app is here

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, May 28, 2010.

1. CoffeeGood

CoffeeGood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It works!! THANK YOU EVILDROID (Member#101486)!!

WORKS!! THANK YOU EVILDROID (Member# 101486)!!

2. FWPhoto

FWPhoto Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sirius still doesn't beat Pandora?

Ugh...it installed like butter and I have sirius in my van but no premium. Is the $2.99/month worth it when Pandora is free and better quality plus Pandora is far more versatile? This free trial keeps skipping and goes silent when a text comes in. Not sure if that's because it just the free trial or not. It just got stuck on the Pulse playing the first chorus of a song over and over. Pandora=win...Sirius...not so much. Anyone have any clues to why it sucks so bad or is it just because it's the free trial? Oh...I don't listen to Howard but do like the 80's and 90's channel and I don't see those either. :(

3. Derekweb

Derekweb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. They sent me a free trial. It is not smooth on 2.2. Pandora and Last FM are free, smooth, and show the art work. I keep Sirius/FM at home, only because I have the player jacks hooked up all oner the house.

4. CoffeeGood

CoffeeGood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth depends on how often you want to listen to your 80s/90s channels outside of your van. I ride a train for an hour each way every day to and from work so, for me, it's definitely worth $2.99/month. If you're in a service van for most of your working day then, maybe not.

I'm a fan of Pandora and Slacker Radio because they're free and for their customizable station features. However, I'm also a Fantasy Football fan. Sirius has a Fantasy Football station that I can't get from a free app like Pandora/Slacker. Plus all the different news stations (CNN, HLN, Fox Talk, MSNBC, Bloomberg, etc.) and Sports stations (ESPN Radio, 24/7-MLB Talk, NHL Home Ice, etc.) are NOT available on the free apps (that I'm aware of).

So...$2.99/month is an easy decision for me.

Check the "Channels" button at the bottom of your Droid while running the Sirius-XM App and you'll see all the channels listed. The 80s/90s channels are in the "Pop" section.

I don't think you running the trial affects the quality. I had the same skipping/repeat issue as soon as the 2.2 update happened. I had to follow post #235 from this thread (root my phone/disable stagefright). It works like a charm now.

One thing that will hamper your listening is poor data coverage. If you're in an area of weak data coverage or traveling and frequently switching cell towers, you'll experience interruptions while the App reacquires a data connection.

Feel free to let me know if I can be more help or if I thoroughly made a confusing mess out of your situation =)

5. FastKatt

FastKatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Decades channels are there...
    The app has a problem with Android 2.2 (they are working on a fix)
    If there's things in Sirius|XM you'll "miss", then it's "worth it"
    If you're happy with your Pandora channels & don't need to skip too many songs, save your money
    HTH

I listen to HairNation & TheHighway (Highway16) while I work out, I'd miss it...
    There's a "fix" listed for the skipping & looping, but you need root access to do it.
    (I also found a way to get free access to the app, just need to resign-up every week)
    Good Luck!

6. FWPhoto

FWPhoto Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info...I do see the decade channels now...not sure why my blind ass didn't see them before lol. I do have great coverage where I am and am on wifi too (not sure if that makes a difference or not) but it does still hang and skip. BTW...Hair Nation rawks...have you all tried Boneyard...it's pretty awesome too.

Now onto the fix. I did go to the easyroot...my AVS says it's a suspicious app. I ignored that because enough folks have used it here so I'm fairly certain it's not malicious. I'm not a rooter though...only because I don't know enough about rooting and the more I investigate the more confused I get and don't want my ignorance to screw up my phone. Other than being able to try to fix this Sirius issue, will doing all those steps have any other benefits? I feel the need to justify buying a bunch of apps...if you know what I mean.

7. FWPhoto

FWPhoto Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK...one other quickie...this root explorer...I searched it in the market...is that the right place to look for it? I saw a UK one...says it's a file manager. Is this the one they're referring too? If so, do I need it if I already have ASTRO? I haven't tried to edit files in ASTRO yet so thought I should ask before I make my headache worse. :blink:

8. CoffeeGood

CoffeeGood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See here for rooting details (IT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html (I'm not saying "Stop Asking" LOL - it's part of the thread title)

You've got (3) options at this point: (1) accept the risk of rooting and immediately benefit by a better Sirius-XM listening experience, (2) accept the app as it is and wait for Sirius XM to patch the issue with their next update (go here to sign up for an email alert when it's available: SIRIUS|XM on Android) or (3) stick with Pandora.

#2 is the safest and reaps the rewards you want, just not as quick as #1.

Yes. Rooting your phone gives you "admin" rights. You can tweak things normally only developers could.

9. Booch_21

Booch_21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Root Explorer (File Manager) from Speed Software is the one that I use.

I rooted and have really done little else than make the "fix" in order to get the Sirius/XM app to work correctly. I listen to it all day at work and that made it worth it to me. Rooting is a bonus, but you really don't have to do anything else after its rooted.

10. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 1.0.0 version of SXM online. I have Froyo rooted Rom (kangerade) and it works fine.

11. Graywolfscv

Graywolfscv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just recently upgraded to the Droid 2 using one of the other lines on my plan. Tested out SiriusXM 1.0.0 tonight and it worked fine, minus the hiccup with trying to actually connect.

12. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I just downloaded this to my Droid..With the car dock in my second vehicle, it is only $2.99 and I can just connect this to my AUX and get the same result as having to pay for a second subscription on the truck radio which is like $7.95 or something of the sort that I pay now..So I save a few $$. Go me!

Search tags for this page
android sirius app not working
how do i install siriusxm app on my galaxy s4
listen to sirius free root
on the sirius app how do you know what channel you are on
rotate siriusxm app
sirius app does not auto rotate
sirius xm basic accounts restricted
sirius xm skydock for android
siriusxm app won't rotate horizontally

xm skydock for android