1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sick of this razr

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by aquaholic, May 18, 2012.

1. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

First time caller long time listener. I purchased my razr a week before the nexus came out for the simple reason that it seemed like a much better phone for me because it seemed like it could survive the apocalypse. I figured who needs the nexus with its ics, my phone is rather new it will come out with ics within a month or two. i went through months where 3g and 4g were practically non existent because of junk updates. Ive been through 2 sim cards. I have to charge my phone twice a day. And if thats not enough we have been strung out for months on ics release dates. And if morale wasnt already low, verizon hits us this week telling us we have to pay full price for our next phone if we want to keep our grandfathered in unlimited data. Its not like verizon gives us any deals in the first place. I always told myself i would never own anything apple after i got tricked into buying one of those easter egg looking imacs and was stuck with aol 4.0 while everyone else had 9.0. But now im considering jumping ship. at least then i dont have to get my hopes up every week for a new update that never comes, because apple never changes anything.

i know first world problems, but is anyone else feeling this frustration?
  2. trentphipps

trentphipps New Member

I have Been an original Android person from day one, I was frustrated when I got the thunderbolt, I was left in the cold I jumped ship to the iPhone and enjoyed it because it was stable, and in fact they DONT change anything which sucked! I am now with a razr that I love dearly and prolly wont ever switch which is unheard of. all I can say is do what makes you happy but you will miss 4g, navigation,big screjen,
  3. SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU New Member

I can empathize with you. I had a bad run of Razrs with buggy issues and dont even live in a 4G area. After 4 replacements, they offered to swap me to other phones to include nexus or bionic but I persisted and was upgraded to Maxx for my inconvenience. I love the Razr when it works and don't want an ijunk. I don't root and run completely stock, NO issues since got the Maxx a few weeks back. Works great and in live again.

Work through the issues and be persistent with verizon and their tech support. If you are having that many problems, and have had replacements, perhaps swapping out may be an option. Swapping to iPhone is not an option but swapping to another 4g should be possible.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  4. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

Not only a first world problem, but also a whole lot of "poor me" over something that is a gigantic luxury. I know we have convinced ourselves that smartphones are a necessity, but that is simply not true. We can live without them if a) we want to and/or b) we can't afford to have one.

Don't know what else to say.
  5. Androidatic

Androidatic New Member

I got tired of hardware and software fragmentation. I ordered an iPhone 4s and should have it next week.

I've been with Android since Verizon released them. I had the Eris, Incredible and now the Razr. I feel the Razr is just too big for me.

What upset me the most was Moto releasing the Razr and Maxx so close together. Now with the Razr HD right around the corner, that's 3 Razr models in about 7 months.

What I think is great about the iPhone is that if I end up not liking the iPhone, I can sell it and get a Rezound and still pocket a few bucks. There isn't an Android phone out there that holds it's value like the iPhone. Especially 7 months after it was released.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  6. BradenFontaine

BradenFontaine New Member

We have grown up in a society that force feeds us the illusion that we must have the latest and greatest [Mod edited for content]. No one seems to have any patience. If you don't like it you should have figured that out in the first two Weeks and returned it. So what it doesn't have ics yet. When it does i'm sure people will have things to complain about then too. [Mod edited for content] I remember the first phone I got that took me four Weeks to save up for. It was a Nokia brick that made calls sent text and I don't even think it had a camera. Had out for years. Still in one of my junk drawers. If it is defective then demand a replacement, off you're just not satisfied with it then I'll give you my old Nokia brick and you can appreciate "the good 'Ole days"...

I'll give you my RAZR when you take it from my cold, dead hands...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Well it seems the only solvable problem would be battery life, since there isn't much you can do about getting a bad SIM card. What are you battery habits like? Download bada$$ battery monitor and see what is eating all of your battery up. Do you use FB or Twitter and have them updating too regularly?

When I had the Razr I made it two days on minimal usage, and now with the MAXX two days on heavy usage. I only went to the FB mobile site and didn't have the APP pulling data constantly, none of my friends are saying anything I need to get right away. Same for my Beautiful Widget, I have that set to update the weather every hour instead of something lower.

I am sure you can find at least one APP that is draining more battery than it should and either limit it's use or kill it all together, and by kill I mean uninstall don't use Auto Task Killers.

Let us know what you find out on the battey usage and maybe we can go from there.
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I don't think aquaholics problem or frustration is any different than a 100 other people's complaints/problems with their phone of various makes. But he happened to mention that he knows it is NOT a third world problem and everyone decides to jump on that ship statement to criticize instead of trying to help resolve his situation. I think we all know having a smart phone is a luxury that we all love to play with, including the op.

To the op, what are the problems or frustrations you are having with the Razr? I know the Razr is capable of getting 10 hours of battery life which is avg for smart phones w-out extended battery. Radio reception has been great and many have switched from their nexus to a razr specifically for that reason. If your Razr is having those problems there are many things that can be done to help improve them. Let us know what your problems are and we can give you some ideas or if you are interested in another phone, we can give you honest pros and cons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  9. Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701 Member

Wow, some of the responses here seem a little harsh... I agree that a smartphone is a luxury; like any luxury, we're paying for it willingly. But in return we should expect some level of stability and service. That's part of what we're paying for.
    As for the ICS update, well, that's an irritant, true, but who do we blame? Verizon? Motorola? Google? I dunno, so I personally just try to be patient about it. And that ain't easy, so I sympathize with aquaholic (cool name BTW).
    I have unlimited data, and I will hate to lose it, even though I don't think I've ever gone over 2 GB a month as long as I've had my OG Droid X. What irks me is that arbitrary "upgrade fee". In a few short years, they went from "new every two" to "bend over and smile".
  10. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

Just thought I would say that I love my Droid Razr. My only regret is that I didn't get the Maxx - I could really use that monster battery! Most of my friends and family are on IPhones now, and I can honestly say that I don't see myself ever leaving a Droid!
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

How about we try to focus on what the concerns are for the OP, on what we can do as users and lovers of our Droid RAZRs to help, and keep the commentary to the plus side?

There are obviously issues that they are experiencing or there wouldn't be a complaint. Whether the OP is capable of diagnosing themselves is not the issue. Whether the OP has made the "right choice" for a phone or not is also irrelevant to the core issues. The phone obviously isn't performing to his/her expectations and there must be SOMETHING to what they are saying as Verizon doesn't simply hand out SIM cards like candy in a candy dish. Also, whether this person has unrealistic expectations of the phone or of when ICS was to be released is also irrelevant to the core issues.

You all know my position regarding the battery power of these devices and how much of an advocate I am regarding proper battery/authorized charger/meter maintenance and use. Instead of criticizing, how about lending a hand to a fellow who is down and frustrated? Talk about meter conditioning, avoiding battery levels below 15% if possible and never allowing it to got to 0%, about how he can use Smart Actions and other "power preservation" techniques to gain greater yield from his battery, how charging multiple times during the day and from not just the wall charger but also the car adapter and computer USB ports can help bridge the gap, how turning off 4G in areas where it is spotty will dramatically reduce power consumption, how turning down the display brightness and reducing the display timeout will also dramatically reduce consumption, how using WIFI in lieu of cellular data will also extend the battery...

Come on people, step up to the plate and "HELP".
  12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Thank you! I am embarrassed by the responses because this is not what Droid Forums is about. It has always been welcoming and about helping and supporting people's problems/frustrations with their phones no matter how simple or complex.

13. Sydman

You are both completely right, I apologize for mine and changed in completely. They kicked me out of my office at work this AM for a new Sales guy to use since I am just tech support. Was feeling a little less than empathetic.
  14. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

It's a good man that can apologize. Hope you get your office back soon.

15. Sydman

You and me both man, have this amazingly loud server whirring in the background not sure how my support calls to customers are going to go.
  16. LoneWolfArcher

I guess my problem with his post it it comes across a bit like someone that wants an iPhone, realizes it is imperfect (due to screen size, no 4G, etc), and then comes here and rips what he can. I've had two Smartphones: HTC Eris and the Razr. I liked my Eris. I love my Razr.

Why not just go get an iPhone and be done with it, instead of coming here and starting a thread that is sure to rattle horns. Unless rattling horns was the intent?!?!
  17. LoneWolfArcher

Sorry, fired off another response before I read this. I apologize. I will move on now.
  18. FoxKat

First let me apologize to you on behalf of the forum and the overwhelming percentage of users here for the earlier backlash. Sometimes we are frustrated and need to vent, but unfortunately when you vent on an open forum, and especially in a negative fashion about something that others on the forum are somewhat protective of, there can be such backlash. That's no excuse for what I saw.

As for your phone's problems, the issues you suffered which caused you to get a new SIM card on two separate instances were probably not the phone's problem, but an interruption in service suffered either locally, regionally or nationally by Verizon. The first time it happened it was widespread and since none of the Verizon technicians were totally aware their first inclination was a bad SIM card. The truth is in some cases replacing the SIM actually helped, but further truth is that was probably only because a card was removed and replaced since the same effect was gained if you simply pulled that card and reinserted it. Other times, the problem seemed to be intermittent.

I can tell you that a SIM card is really nothing more than an SD Card, in other words, it's a storage device with flash RAM/ROM which is used to identify the phone as unique on the system and tie it to an authorized account in good standing. If the card is going to fail, it's going to fail completely and will not work again. I actually was one of the many thousands who also had a SIM replaced in that first outage months ago, and found the replacement card also "seemed" to fail - and yet eventually the problem went away and the so-called "failed SIM card" worked fine from there on and through today.

Much of the service problems you are suffering are as a result of the growing pains of an established 3G system transitioning to a 4G system and the two systems having difficulty deciding which one holds priority. There are potentially some problems with the phone's own ROM that may have contributed to that difficulty but as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), those internal issues have been addressed in updates.

The ICS update is something that is what it is. If you buy a phone with the expectation of an upgrade to the OS and give yourself (or someone gives you) any sort of timeline in which to expect it, you're going to be disappointed almost every time. Feel fortunate that Motorola and Verizon are working tirelessly to make sure the update to ICS is a smooth transition and not full of bugs as some on other phones have experienced. I for one am happy with the Gingerbread that I have on my phone now, since it WORKS and that is something other phone users can't even say at times. I have tried the leaked ICS and yes, I am excited, but I don't think it's a deal-killer for me and really shouldn't be for you too. What you get in ICS is a real nice GUI upgrade, and some tweaks to the system that you can see and feel, but it's not like the difference between Windows 98 and Windows XP if you will. Yeah, it looks nice and all, but other than face unlock and screen shot capability, most of what you get in ICS is visual. What you DON'T see is perhaps even more important in the grand scheme of things.

The battery issues are unfortunate but you'll see in many threads through this forum that they can be dealt with very effectively with a number of changes to the system and to your usage and charging patterns. The biggest issue for many is that the meter is telling them the phone is about to die, when the phone actually has considerable power left. There is a thread on here where a guy was using his phone to play music and the meter was saying 5% left for the last 7 hours. Calibrating the meter to the battery (something that's sorely missing from the user's guide) is an effective way to resolve that issue. I'll let someone else describe the process as the keys on my keyboard used to type that description no longer work due to over-use! (just kidding).

And finally for the contrast between Apple and Android, it's a tough battle to wage from either side. Apple is locked down pretty tight and yes, they "seem" to work out of the box and "seem" to need no updates, however they DO have their problems. It just "seems" that iPhone users are more willing to simply reboot and try again, I don't know. What I do know is that there is SO much more you can do with an Android phone than you can with an iPhone and the limits placed on iPhone users is far too restricting for me and also for many of the Android fans here. And further, Motorola versus Apple...I'll take Motorola's communication technology over Apples any day - hands down. Their strength is in their radios and that comes through clear with the RAZR/RAZR MAXX. I LOVE my RAZR (now MAXX), and have NEVER been disappointed with call quality on these phones.

As always, your results may vary.
  19. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

Let me just say no apologies are necessary. Like i said i realize its a first world problem, and i have plenty of old bricks myself so no need for anyone to donate me one. I would also like to point out i am not an apple fan, i drink domestic beer, own an f150 and eat beef . I hope that takes any idea away that i am some kind of apple lover( my comment about switching to the iphone was an irrational outburst of anger). However getting back to the luxury issue, yes it is a luxury, but its a luxury i pay for. I think we should get a little more love from these companies for the amount of money we pay. Im not try to rattle anyone or start any problems i have been an android owner since the first week the original droid came out. And let me just go on record and say the razr would be a great phone if it did everything it was suppose too, or if verizon/ Motorola fixed their problems. As far as issues , i think its ridiculous i have to use airplane mode at least once a day to get my signal back. My sim card issue was that everyday my phone would say no sim card, when it had one in. That problem is fixed for now. Its got a nice screen but ive noticed when watching netflix i can see black dots, which a friend told me was some type of glue used to hold the screen. And of course the battery issue is a big one, and i do have a couple social networking apps that i use once or twice a day.

My main goal of this thread was to see if any other razr owners were having the same feelings i was getting. Seems like the whole time ive owned the phone ive been getting {pushed} around with updates on issues.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  20. FoxKat

I am pleased to get a better understanding of from where you come - both literally and figuratively. I drink Victory Hop Devil (domestic micro-brew, Downingtown, PA), own a Durango and eat Beef too. I also have been an android customer since very early in the first release of the OG Droid (Droid 1), so we have some definite commonalities.

You have every right to expect something you've paid good money for to perform as advertised and that's one of the reasons why we try so hard here to help (usually :icon_eek:).

The issues you have with lost data connection are, as I said before, likely not the phone's fault - or at least not solely the phone's fault. I actually found that Airplane mode was not as effective as Data Enabler Widget. It's a small widget that sits on the screen, and you simply tap it once to shut data off, then a few seconds later tap it again to resume. It works even when Airplane mode doesn't.

The black dots you see are apparently (as you mentioned), based on what some say is a credible report (don't know exactly where it came from and could be simply a rumor), due to the glue/adhesive used to laminate the motherboard to the back of the display. It is a known issue with these SAMOLED displays and is different with every phone. Some have lots of marks, some virtually none. Some are in apparent "patterns" (like mine that has circles that look like wedding bands), some have "lines" (that look like scrub marks or wipe marks), some have dots of varying sizes.

To get one that has NO marks is trial and error with potentially multiple Like New Warranty Replacements, however this problem isn't unique to Droid RAZRs, as I have seen reports from other cellular phones that also have a similar construction with SAMOLED displays and suffer likewise. I do know this is only visible in very dark rooms and with very dark scenes in movies, or when the screen turns black (or when using a test screen of all black). For most, it's almost never seen and when it is, it is simply a point where you say to yourself, "there's those marks again". It doesn't seem to bother the great percentage of people, but those who seem to have the biggest issue with it are those who watch video, so I can't say it's no big deal.

The battery issues are definitely a concern for many with the RAZR, but if you look at the battery comparisons with other smartphones, you'll find that the RAZR actually lasts longer than most. Of course the RAZR MAXX smashes the competition but we're talking RAZR here. Again, there are things you can do to minimize your battery consumption without negatively impacting your user experience. Turning off background updates to the social networking and simply hitting refresh when you look once or twice a day will help.

Does anyone else wish to add valuable and helpful comments/suggestions?
Search tags for this page
droid razr says no sim card

razr maxx keeps saying no sim card