Questions about exchanging nexus for razr

Imprisoned

Reaction score
I currently have the nexus and think it's a nice phone if everything would work properly. I exchanged my original unit this week because I always had voice issues and finally wanted to see if another unit would correct this. I received a replacement unit Thursday morning , fortunately it will not work on 4G LTE.

I have to go in the network setting and select only CDMA for the unit to work on either data or voice. I will be getting a second replacement unit by noon today as I insisted on overnight shipping with Saturday delivery. The rep is going to call me on Monday July 9th and if I don't have a nexus unit I'm satisfied with she told me I'll have the option to get exchange the nexus for a razr, I don't have the option of the maxx .

My questions for you guys, how is the voice quality of the razr? We forget sometime that our smart phones are a phone FIRST. I had the droid x before the nexus and I was never really happy with the voice quality on that unit either. On the og droid the voice was fine, but even after a few replacements on the droid x I still never thought the voice was very good on that unit. I lost a job interview because of the droid x, they called me back two weeks later, but still that upset me.

Also with the razr how is the data, are there issues with 4G? Will the razr stay connected to the 4G network without any issues? I never had any type of data issues with my first nexus only voice, but reading the forums here it seems like it's hit or miss getting a problem free nexus.

I really like the look of the razr, but I'm leery of owning another moto phone after my droid x experience, and owning a bionic for a few days. I also had the same issues on the bionic as the x, along with it not staying connected to 4G, so I returned it after only two days.

I haven't really heard anything bad about the razr other than the battery life is horrible, but it's not that great on the nexus either.

Any of you guys that had a nexus for a few months and exchanged it for a razr are you glad you switched, or do you regret it? I'm looking for feedback on the over all experience of this phone from everyone, and feedback from people that went from a nexus to a razr.

I'm not unhappy with the nexus, it's a great smart phone, but if I can't get a properly working unit it doesn't matter how awesome it is. Thanks guys for reading.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I currently have the nexus and think it's a nice phone if everything would work properly. I exchanged my original unit this week because I always had voice issues and finally wanted to see if another unit would correct this. I received a replacement unit Thursday morning , fortunately it will not work on 4G LTE.

I have to go in the network setting and select only CDMA for the unit to work on either data or voice. I will be getting a second replacement unit by noon today as I insisted on overnight shipping with Saturday delivery. The rep is going to call me on Monday July 9th and if I don't have a nexus unit I'm satisfied with she told me I'll have the option to get exchange the nexus for a razr, I don't have the option of the maxx .

My questions for you guys, how is the voice quality of the razr? We forget sometime that our smart phones are a phone FIRST. I had the droid x before the nexus and I was never really happy with the voice quality on that unit either. On the og droid the voice was fine, but even after a few replacements on the droid x I still never thought the voice was very good on that unit. I lost a job interview because of the droid x, they called me back two weeks later, but still that upset me.

Also with the razr how is the data, are there issues with 4G? Will the razr stay connected to the 4G network without any issues? I never had any type of data issues with my first nexus only voice, but reading the forums here it seems like it's hit or miss getting a problem free nexus.

I really like the look of the razr, but I'm leery of owning another moto phone after my droid x experience, and owning a bionic for a few days. I also had the same issues on the bionic as the x, along with it not staying connected to 4G, so I returned it after only two days.

I haven't really heard anything bad about the razr other than the battery life is horrible, but it's not that great on the nexus either.

Any of you guys that had a nexus for a few months and exchanged it for a razr are you glad you switched, or do you regret it? I'm looking for feedback on the over all experience of this phone from everyone, and feedback from people that went from a nexus to a razr.

I'm not unhappy with the nexus, it's a great smart phone, but if I can't get a properly working unit it doesn't matter how awesome it is. Thanks guys for reading.

I had the Galaxy Nexus, and now I have the MAXX. I haven't looked back since. Even if you take the battery of the MAXX out of the equation, I'd still be much happier than I was the Nexus. The LTE Galaxy Nexus is, in my opinion, a fantastic device. It's just a horrible phone. I went through four brand new ones, and when they could get a signal, they couldn't hold it. It was the worst experience I've had with a phone as far as reception for both voice and data goes. It made the phone practically unusable.

Motorola is extremely well-known for their voice quality and reception. The RAZR is no exception. I'm surprised about your experience with the X, because when I had the X, voice quality was very good. The Bionic had several issues, most of which have been addressed now. Every manufacturer has a misstep now and then, and the Bionic was a misstep for Motorola for the first while (but at least they've taken steps to correct most of the problems that plagued the device). In either event, the voice quality on the RAZR/MAXX is noticeably better than on the Galaxy Nexus. The reception blows the Nexus out of the water for both voice and data. The Nexus would say "searching for service" all the time, even when it was right next to a RAZR that had solid reception. I hardly ever experience any noticeable data drops. With any LTE phone on Verizon, some drops in data must be expected because of the hand off between 3G and 4G (especially if you're in a weak 4G area), but having had several different LTE phones, I can say that the RAZR/MAXX handles it the best. It's also much smoother and less frequent for me since the ICS update.

OP
Imprisoned

Imprisoned

Reaction score
I had the Galaxy Nexus, and now I have the MAXX. I haven't looked back since. Even if you take the battery of the MAXX out of the equation, I'd still be much happier than I was the Nexus. The LTE Galaxy Nexus is, in my opinion, a fantastic device. It's just a horrible phone. I went through four brand new ones, and when they could get a signal, they couldn't hold it. It was the worst experience I've had with a phone as far as reception for both voice and data goes. It made the phone practically unusable.

Motorola is extremely well-known for their voice quality and reception. The RAZR is no exception. I'm surprised about your experience with the X, because when I had the X, voice quality was very good. The Bionic had several issues, most of which have been addressed now. Every manufacturer has a misstep now and then, and the Bionic was a misstep for Motorola for the first while (but at least they've taken steps to correct most of the problems that plagued the device). In either event, the voice quality on the RAZR/MAXX is noticeably better than on the Galaxy Nexus. The reception blows the Nexus out of the water for both voice and data. The Nexus would say "searching for service" all the time, even when it was right next to a RAZR that had solid reception. I hardly ever experience any noticeable data drops. With any LTE phone on Verizon, some drops in data must be expected because of the hand off between 3G and 4G (especially if you're in a weak 4G area), but having had several different LTE phones, I can say that the RAZR/MAXX handles it the best. It's also much smoother and less frequent for me since the ICS update.

With my first nexus I NEVER had that issue, I guess I had a good unit the first time and made a huge misstake exchanging it. I'm wondering if the voice issue is just a issue no replacement device will correct. I work in a 4G area but where I live is 3G, I NEVER once had any interruption of service with my first device moving from 3G to 4G, my singal smoothly switched from 3G to 4G with no issues.

I had a OG Razor, and OG droid and the voice was like a landline in most cases, only the x and bionic had voice issues. Both me and my wife rocked the x and even hers had crappy voice. She now has a rezound and her voice service is just like the home phone. She doesn't have any data issues either, I could get a rezound as an option, for some reason I just don't like the rezound.

The x was a awesome phone until one of the ota updates ruined it, but I was never happy with voice. I really like this nexus, it's the only replacment I've ever had that installed all my apps and even wallpaper on the new device after I signed in. Other androids only reinstalled on the same device if I did a restore, the nexus did it even on a new device.

I want a working nexus, but I will get a razr if my 2nd replacment has the same issues. Another question, is the razr and razr maxx 100% the same phone other than the battery?

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With my first nexus I NEVER had that issue, I guess I had a good unit the first time and made a huge misstake exchanging it. I'm wondering if the voice issue is just a issue no replacement device will correct. I work in a 4G area but where I live is 3G, I NEVER once had any interruption of service with my first device moving from 3G to 4G, my singal smoothly switched from 3G to 4G with no issues.

I had a OG Razor, and OG droid and the voice was like a landline in most cases, only the x and bionic had voice issues. Both me and my wife rocked the x and even hers had crappy voice. She now has a rezound and her voice service is just like the home phone. She doesn't have any data issues either, I could get a rezound as an option, for some reason I just don't like the rezound.

The x was a awesome phone until one of the ota updates ruined it, but I was never happy with voice. I really like this nexus, it's the only replacment I've ever had that installed all my apps and even wallpaper on the new device after I signed in. Other androids only reinstalled on the same device if I did a restore, the nexus did it even on a new device.

I wanted a working nexus, but I will get a razr if my 2nd replacment has the same issues. Another question, is the razr and razr maxx 100% the same phone other than the battery?

Yes, the RAZR and the MAXX are the same phone except for the battery.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Uh uh.... my maxx is better than your maxx..... cause I said so :p

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't exchange for regular razr. Only do it for maxx. Since ics update my maxx has same crappy reception as my nexus. The only advantage now is the battery. Before ics update I'd be the first one to tell you to jump on razr bandwagon but moto really screwed the pooch with this update.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Don't exchange for regular razr. Only do it for maxx. Since ics update my maxx has same crappy reception as my nexus. The only advantage now is the battery. Before ics update I'd be the first one to tell you to jump on razr bandwagon but moto really screwed the pooch with this update.

Not everyone has had the same experience with the ICS update. Mine has been exactly the opposite.

x25064

Reaction score
I had a nexus on launch day, traded a guy for a Rezound (worst phone I've ever owned) and somehow traded a guy for a brand new razr.

The razr is the clear winner out of the bunch. My only regret was no ICS, but as of Friday that's a non-issue. The RAZR just performs better all around. No lag, no choppiness in gaming, and best of all.. RECEPTION! Holy crap I never knew the value of good signal until I got a nexus. Whatever excuse anyone gives you on the nexus' reception is a lie or clearly BS (oh it's a display issue!).

I was about to get a RAZR before the gnex, but bought into the hype. The RAZR is flawless in my opinion. It is the most solid performing device out there. Never a force close, reception issue, dropped call, crappy picture (coughnexuscough) or anything. It just works. I never felt like an Android phone would truly be as good as an iPhone on every level, but the RAZR proved me very wrong. Just as fluid and error free as anything coming from the apple camp. Battery life? That's why there's a razrmaxx.

My only gripe if you want to call it that, is the screen. If you use a gnex and a rezound before the RAZR you know who the obvious loser is in this category. In the razrs defense the color and brightness are fantastic. Using my phone outside is NEVER a problem. If you can hold out, the newest droid in the works will solve this problem.

Firmware wise, Motorola's last two android iterations are perfect. Especially this ics. It runs BETTER than the gnex ever ran it. I used to rom all the time, but I have never felt the need to with the RAZR, its just a really great phone that will hold it's weight in the next year and a half. Get one.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not everyone has had the same experience with the ICS update. Mine has been exactly the opposite.
not everyone travels out of 4g area often either. sure when you're in 4g it doesn't really matter if you're downloading at 30mbps or 20mbps, but when you're in 3g and go from 2mbps to .5mbps it makes a huge difference.

a lot of people are having this problem. it's documented http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...n/213907-ics-reception-issue.html#post2172194 and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ength-post2171327.html?highlight=#post2171327

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Op the razr maxx is a solid device especially with ics. I recommend the switch. I love the nexus but admit that their are a large amount of bad units and i personally went through 4. As a customer why you want your phone. If it is to use to mod and get the newest roms and software or just want a phone that work. The nexus when you get a good device is a great phone but shines for those who want the latest software. The razr maxx has awesome battery life and is great for every day use. I personally (if i could do it all over again) would have bought a razr maxx and got a gsm nexus for play.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rjenk

Reaction score
I did the swap a few weeks back and could not be happier. The Nexus is a good unit but the radios on it are terrible. As with others, I recommend the MAXX. Call quality is great and I no longer have calls going straight to VM and have much better coverage voice and data, and no more random reboots either. Now that ICS is out for the RAZR, it really makes it the permier phone for Verizon right now. There are a few things on the Nexus I miss, expecially some of the stock apps...but some of the Moto versions are better.

It will be a long time before I consider another Samsung phone based on the problems I had with the Nexus. I had three on my account and expect to get rid of the final one very shortly.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
rjenk said:
I did the swap a few weeks back and could not be happier. The Nexus is a good unit but the radios on it are terrible. As with others, I recommend the MAXX. Call quality is great and I no longer have calls going straight to VM and have much better coverage voice and data, and no more random reboots either. Now that ICS is out for the RAZR, it really makes it the permier phone for Verizon right now. There are a few things on the Nexus I miss, expecially some of the stock apps...but some of the Moto versions are better.

It will be a long time before I consider another Samsung phone based on the problems I had with the Nexus. I had three on my account and expect to get rid of the final one very shortly.

+1 Thats how i feel exactly accept I went with the Bionic right after the Nexus release cause after owning it for the 2 weeks it was horrible, Moto is way better on the radios and such, so my thoughts exactly.

karl.t.2112

Reaction score
IF Verizon is willing to swap out the Nexus for the Razr then jump on that deal without even thinking twice. I have, and do use, both devices and in my personal opinion and testing the Razr is hands down the winner. While the Nexus is a great device it suffers with reception in some areas and the voice quality can be somewhat lower quality than the Motorola Razr. Since the Razr's are now getting ICS the change will have little impact on your daily interactions with your phone.

GoBears

Reaction score
Just traded my GNex for a Maxx a couple days ago. So far I'm mostly happy but there are a few things I do miss about the GNex. Both phones are great in their own ways. Make sure you choose the one that fits YOUR wants and needs. The Maxx isn't perfect for everyone, nor is the GNex. Peace out. :happy: