Voice Quality on the RAZR

Ragtop99

Reaction score
I'm getting rid of my Blackberry and am interested in the RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the 4S. My son has the GNex and it's very impressive, but the voice quality was a step down from Blackberry. It didn't sound on the listening end as good as my BB, and it didn't transmit as clean a voice signal to the recipient as my BB does. How's the sound quality on the RAZR compare to other phones?

I use the phone for work and a quality voice call is important and a decent speakerphone is useful too. Next most important is full sync with Exchange server and a good searchable e-mail. I probably will not root the phone, so solutions that make the sound better but involve rooting aren't a good option.

Gleason81

Reaction score
I'm getting rid of my Blackberry and am interested in the RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the 4S. My son has the GNex and it's very impressive, but the voice quality was a step down from Blackberry. It didn't sound on the listening end as good as my BB, and it didn't transmit as clean a voice signal to the recipient as my BB does. How's the sound quality on the RAZR compare to other phones?

I use the phone for work and a quality voice call is important and a decent speakerphone is useful too. Next most important is full sync with Exchange server and a good searchable e-mail. I probably will not root the phone, so solutions that make the sound better but involve rooting aren't a good option.

I've had a few Motorola phones and others as well. Motorola has very good call quality.

sab3083

Reaction score
Clean crisp and loud and clear

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tc1

Reaction score
Motorola is well known for its voice quality.

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Sound is good on headset but I'm not impressed with speaker. With all the rules in effect now on phone usage it doesn't matter much since I use Bluetooth most off the time anyway.

Deron

Reaction score
I have found the sound quality when using hands free ear buds + mic (wired) and holding the phone to my ear have really good call quality. Even better than my Droid X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The other day someone was using my RAZR and I thought it was on speaker phone....it wasnt...lol. The speaker and volume in calls is loud, mine is anyway. Both probably louder than my Droid X1.

revelated

Reaction score
Sound is good on headset but I'm not impressed with speaker. With all the rules in effect now on phone usage it doesn't matter much since I use Bluetooth most off the time anyway.

Odd. I find the speaker quite impressive.

deograine

Reaction score
Razr sound quality

There is a very audible static noise in the background when using the razr at full volume. I did not detect the same static when I tested the nexus at full volume. I took the razr back three times because of the static and each time the replaced it with another razr. Finally I got a sales person who figured out the static was from having the phone on full volume. Unfortunately he figured it out too late to exchange it for a nexus. Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are like me and work in a noisy environment that requires that you keep your phone at full volume. The static isn't there on a headset, or speaker phone

Rampant

Reaction score
I know what you mean... I bought a nexus and returned it same day because of how horrible the voice quality was.

I have the Razr and it is pretty solid. I would still like quality to be higher but it is as high as any phone I have ever had.... damn carriers haven't really put the effort into excellent voice for a long time.

Definitely go with Motorola, or possibly HTC. I've heard good stuff about their phones. Stay away (far away) from samsung if voice quality is a large concern.

kyfa25

Reaction score
Ive had ppl not even know they're on speaker phone the mic is so good. And ive had zero trouble with sound... and ive had blackberrys for the last 5yrs.. there are some bells and whistles that i gave up getting the razr... but honestly it was sooooooooooo worth it... this phone is flat out bad a$$

Zandar

Reaction score
Motorola is known for their voice quality and antennae quality; it won't disappoint. Go read some online reviews and see what they say (spoiler: they all praise the phone quality, and this is from people who test out every handset).

To the person who said the GNex didn't have the static issue at max volume: that's probably because the GNex doesn't get to a very high volume (check out Droid Life; they have an article where they show you ways to increase the volume since it's max is so low stock).

Sliced from my RAZR

kyfa25

Reaction score
Motorola is known for their voice quality and antennae quality; it won't disappoint. Go read some online reviews and see what they say (spoiler: they all praise the phone quality, and this is from people who test out every handset).

To the person who said the GNex didn't have the static issue at max volume: that's probably because the GNex doesn't get to a very high volume (check out Droid Life; they have an article where they show you ways to increase the volume since it's max is so low stock).

Sliced from my RAZR

To echo what he said... I dont notice any static when I turn the volume up.. granted Ive never had to put the speaker volume up that loud.. its pretty loud at about 75%... Motorolla has been doing phones for decades now, and they really dialed in the voice thing.. they are ramping up their smart phone arena as of late... so if your concern is with voice quality, you can rest assured Motorola's got that covered. Ive been a blackberry user for years, and im really impressed with this device as "a phone " as a data device, wowzers..