Sick of this razr

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by aquaholic, May 18, 2012.

1. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

thanks for the data enabler widget idea, i downloaded and will give it a try. Im going to look and see if i can find some smart action settings to help with the battery issue and see if i can push it longer.
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I hear ya, and not to get to far off topic, let me just say that i hope things go better for you. Its never any fun to feel like you've been pushed aside. Try to stay positive :)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Since nobody else did so, let me suggest one thing you can do that will assure your meter is accurately representing the remaining power in the battery so you're not lead to believe it's in need of a charge when it might not be.

As always, I suggest that you do the following at least once every couple months or so;

1. Power the phone off by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the "Power off" option when your next opportunity arises where you don't need the phone for several hours (like bedtime).
    2. Plug in the Motorola Cable and Motorola Wall Charger Adapter.
    3. Allow the phone to boot into charge in Charge only mode (animated battery illustration) and charge until the charge level reaches 100%. To check the level at any time, tap the Volume Down button (again, thanks Trash Can).
    4. Once charge to 100% with power off is completed, disconnect the charger and power the phone on.
    5. Use the phone until the level reaches 15% and the phone signals "Low battery". Try not to use much beyond 15% remaining but make sure it at least reaches that level of discharge before proceeding.
    6. Repeat steps 1 through 4.

This process is called "training" the battery's meter to the actual capacity and maximum and minimum levels of the battery. Since the battery will over time diminish in ability to hold a charge (as all batteries do), and also since the discharge rate is not linear, meaning the drop in voltage for each decreasing percentage is not uniform, it is difficult for the meter to maintain accuracy without these infrequent trainings. This is not a defect of either the battery or the phone, but rather a characteristic of the specific battery chemistry and the best possible execution of a level indicator given the difficulties described.

Also, this type of battery actually prefers to be charged more frequently and used in shorter periods between charges, so for instance using from 80% to 30%, then charging to 90% and using to 40% (100% cumulative use over 2 charges) is actually better for the battery than charging to 100%, using to 15%, charging to 100% and using to 85% (same 100% cumulative, but the first jaunt was 85% consumed). Charging more frequently in shorter bursts will prolong the battery, and since it was designed not to be user-replaceable, that's a good thing.

These phones are far more powerful and capable than any phones previously. In fact, they are almost suitable as a replacement for and when you are away from your desktop computer and in many cases function quite well in the interim. With all that added power and ability comes greater power consumption. As battery technologies progress, hopefully this will not be such an issue in the future, but with computer technology advancing so rapidly it's likely that more powerful hardware will add to the burden on these batteries. Perhaps there will be a breaking point where the technology gets more efficient rather than simply more powerful and as a result we may see greater run times out of future phones, but for now we make do. My former phone was a RAZR (now I sport the MAXX), and I can say that by being smarter about how I used it, I was easily able to get through a day on a single overnight charge, even while using it quite heavily during the day.

Plug in whenever it is convenient, whether it's the wall adapter, car adapter, or a laptop or computer USB jack. There is no risk to the battery from topping the charge off or adding a partial charge at any point in the usage cycle. Your battery will perform better and you will be less and less concerned about "running out of power". I suggest you think of your battery meter as your car's gas tank. You wouldn't likely hesitate to add $20 or $40 to the tank at any time during your travels, but you would certainly be hesitant to drive it on "empty" for fear of running dry on the highway. If you keep that mentality with your phone's battery you will be far less stressed for it.

Good luck! :biggrin:
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. 94lt1

Sorry FoxKat,..... I must've been napping. I usually spread the word of the Fox ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Who ever is so sick of their razr they wanna dump it...let me know just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  6. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

Sorry BatteryMan, I try to spread your knowledge as well, it's just been one of those days.
  7. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

awesome advice, i will try that. Also maybe you could help me with some questions i have about this smart actions thing i just set up. I set it up so that when the display is off and it is not charging that the gps and background syncing is off. Having background syncing off wouldnt effect text messages and calls would it ?
  8. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

No, and you could shut off cellular data as well. However, be advised that cellular data is required to send/receive MMS messages, even when connected to WiFi. Cellular data does not affect calls or SMS messages.
  9. 94lt1

Just be aware that if your phone has to constantly search for its data connection, this can also have a negative impact on your devices battery life. This would occur if you turn off your data connection every time your screen was off, then had it reconnect when you wake the device.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  10. Androidatic

Androidatic New Member

I have one with a 64gb sd card I'll sell you. If you're REALLY interested please PM me.

I have an iPhone on the way and am putting this on eBay once I get the iPhone up and running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  11. gaborn73

gaborn73 New Member

Whole heartedly agree! Amazon has the Razr for $0.01 right now for NEW SUBSCRIBERS & $99 for existing. I'm seriously considering upgrading from my Droid X. I came here looking for Razr pros/cons. I do like the Samsung Galaxy III but it will be very pricey when it hits VZW. I've never paid over $80 for any phone. Below is the link for the Amazon offer. I chatted with VZW & they assured me I'd retain my "unlimited data" plan. I saved the screen capture in case they re-neg.
    Amazon.com: Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories
  12. lovemyram4x4

lovemyram4x4 Member

I'm sick of this Razr & the 2 Razrs before it. These phones are also more than just luxury items for me, they're business tools. None of them have gone more than a couple of days without a major issue showing up, and have caused problems for me to get my work done properly.

I'm getting to the point that I don't know what to do, this phone spec wise is the closet to meet my wants/needs that's currently available on 1 of the 2 carriers with decent coverage in my area.
  13. Slider11

Slider11 New Member

I know what to do. Nokia.
  14. lovemyram4x4

lovemyram4x4 Member

Although the specs sound good on the 900 & I actually like mobile windows I'm not going to switch to AT&T crappy network, but as it goes for their current phone line up it would between that phone & the One X.
Search tags for this page
droid razr says no sim card

razr maxx keeps saying no sim card