Sick of this razr

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think aquaholics problem or frustration is any different than a 100 other people's complaints/problems with their phone of various makes. But he happened to mention that he knows it is NOT a third world problem and everyone decides to jump on that ship statement to criticize instead of trying to help resolve his situation. I think we all know having a smart phone is a luxury that we all love to play with, including the op.

To the op, what are the problems or frustrations you are having with the Razr? I know the Razr is capable of getting 10 hours of battery life which is avg for smart phones w-out extended battery. Radio reception has been great and many have switched from their nexus to a razr specifically for that reason. If your Razr is having those problems there are many things that can be done to help improve them. Let us know what your problems are and we can give you some ideas or if you are interested in another phone, we can give you honest pros and cons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

I guess my problem with his post it it comes across a bit like someone that wants an iPhone, realizes it is imperfect (due to screen size, no 4G, etc), and then comes here and rips what he can. I've had two Smartphones: HTC Eris and the Razr. I liked my Eris. I love my Razr.

Why not just go get an iPhone and be done with it, instead of coming here and starting a thread that is sure to rattle horns. Unless rattling horns was the intent?!?!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about we try to focus on what the concerns are for the OP, on what we can do as users and lovers of our Droid RAZRs to help, and keep the commentary to the plus side?

There are obviously issues that they are experiencing or there wouldn't be a complaint. Whether the OP is capable of diagnosing themselves is not the issue. Whether the OP has made the "right choice" for a phone or not is also irrelevant to the core issues. The phone obviously isn't performing to his/her expectations and there must be SOMETHING to what they are saying as Verizon doesn't simply hand out SIM cards like candy in a candy dish. Also, whether this person has unrealistic expectations of the phone or of when ICS was to be released is also irrelevant to the core issues.

You all know my position regarding the battery power of these devices and how much of an advocate I am regarding proper battery/authorized charger/meter maintenance and use. Instead of criticizing, how about lending a hand to a fellow who is down and frustrated? Talk about meter conditioning, avoiding battery levels below 15% if possible and never allowing it to got to 0%, about how he can use Smart Actions and other "power preservation" techniques to gain greater yield from his battery, how charging multiple times during the day and from not just the wall charger but also the car adapter and computer USB ports can help bridge the gap, how turning off 4G in areas where it is spotty will dramatically reduce power consumption, how turning down the display brightness and reducing the display timeout will also dramatically reduce consumption, how using WIFI in lieu of cellular data will also extend the battery...

Come on people, step up to the plate and "HELP".

Sorry, fired off another response before I read this. I apologize. I will move on now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First time caller long time listener. I purchased my razr a week before the nexus came out for the simple reason that it seemed like a much better phone for me because it seemed like it could survive the apocalypse. I figured who needs the nexus with its ics, my phone is rather new it will come out with ics within a month or two. i went through months where 3g and 4g were practically non existent because of junk updates. Ive been through 2 sim cards. I have to charge my phone twice a day. And if thats not enough we have been strung out for months on ics release dates. And if morale wasnt already low, verizon hits us this week telling us we have to pay full price for our next phone if we want to keep our grandfathered in unlimited data. Its not like verizon gives us any deals in the first place. I always told myself i would never own anything apple after i got tricked into buying one of those easter egg looking imacs and was stuck with aol 4.0 while everyone else had 9.0. But now im considering jumping ship. at least then i dont have to get my hopes up every week for a new update that never comes, because apple never changes anything.

i know first world problems, but is anyone else feeling this frustration?

First let me apologize to you on behalf of the forum and the overwhelming percentage of users here for the earlier backlash. Sometimes we are frustrated and need to vent, but unfortunately when you vent on an open forum, and especially in a negative fashion about something that others on the forum are somewhat protective of, there can be such backlash. That's no excuse for what I saw.

As for your phone's problems, the issues you suffered which caused you to get a new SIM card on two separate instances were probably not the phone's problem, but an interruption in service suffered either locally, regionally or nationally by Verizon. The first time it happened it was widespread and since none of the Verizon technicians were totally aware their first inclination was a bad SIM card. The truth is in some cases replacing the SIM actually helped, but further truth is that was probably only because a card was removed and replaced since the same effect was gained if you simply pulled that card and reinserted it. Other times, the problem seemed to be intermittent.

I can tell you that a SIM card is really nothing more than an SD Card, in other words, it's a storage device with flash RAM/ROM which is used to identify the phone as unique on the system and tie it to an authorized account in good standing. If the card is going to fail, it's going to fail completely and will not work again. I actually was one of the many thousands who also had a SIM replaced in that first outage months ago, and found the replacement card also "seemed" to fail - and yet eventually the problem went away and the so-called "failed SIM card" worked fine from there on and through today.

Much of the service problems you are suffering are as a result of the growing pains of an established 3G system transitioning to a 4G system and the two systems having difficulty deciding which one holds priority. There are potentially some problems with the phone's own ROM that may have contributed to that difficulty but as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), those internal issues have been addressed in updates.

The ICS update is something that is what it is. If you buy a phone with the expectation of an upgrade to the OS and give yourself (or someone gives you) any sort of timeline in which to expect it, you're going to be disappointed almost every time. Feel fortunate that Motorola and Verizon are working tirelessly to make sure the update to ICS is a smooth transition and not full of bugs as some on other phones have experienced. I for one am happy with the Gingerbread that I have on my phone now, since it WORKS and that is something other phone users can't even say at times. I have tried the leaked ICS and yes, I am excited, but I don't think it's a deal-killer for me and really shouldn't be for you too. What you get in ICS is a real nice GUI upgrade, and some tweaks to the system that you can see and feel, but it's not like the difference between Windows 98 and Windows XP if you will. Yeah, it looks nice and all, but other than face unlock and screen shot capability, most of what you get in ICS is visual. What you DON'T see is perhaps even more important in the grand scheme of things.

The battery issues are unfortunate but you'll see in many threads through this forum that they can be dealt with very effectively with a number of changes to the system and to your usage and charging patterns. The biggest issue for many is that the meter is telling them the phone is about to die, when the phone actually has considerable power left. There is a thread on here where a guy was using his phone to play music and the meter was saying 5% left for the last 7 hours. Calibrating the meter to the battery (something that's sorely missing from the user's guide) is an effective way to resolve that issue. I'll let someone else describe the process as the keys on my keyboard used to type that description no longer work due to over-use! (just kidding).

And finally for the contrast between Apple and Android, it's a tough battle to wage from either side. Apple is locked down pretty tight and yes, they "seem" to work out of the box and "seem" to need no updates, however they DO have their problems. It just "seems" that iPhone users are more willing to simply reboot and try again, I don't know. What I do know is that there is SO much more you can do with an Android phone than you can with an iPhone and the limits placed on iPhone users is far too restricting for me and also for many of the Android fans here. And further, Motorola versus Apple...I'll take Motorola's communication technology over Apples any day - hands down. Their strength is in their radios and that comes through clear with the RAZR/RAZR MAXX. I LOVE my RAZR (now MAXX), and have NEVER been disappointed with call quality on these phones.

As always, your results may vary.

Last edited:
OP
A

aquaholic

Reaction score
Let me just say no apologies are necessary. Like i said i realize its a first world problem, and i have plenty of old bricks myself so no need for anyone to donate me one. I would also like to point out i am not an apple fan, i drink domestic beer, own an f150 and eat beef . I hope that takes any idea away that i am some kind of apple lover( my comment about switching to the iphone was an irrational outburst of anger). However getting back to the luxury issue, yes it is a luxury, but its a luxury i pay for. I think we should get a little more love from these companies for the amount of money we pay. Im not try to rattle anyone or start any problems i have been an android owner since the first week the original droid came out. And let me just go on record and say the razr would be a great phone if it did everything it was suppose too, or if verizon/ Motorola fixed their problems. As far as issues , i think its ridiculous i have to use airplane mode at least once a day to get my signal back. My sim card issue was that everyday my phone would say no sim card, when it had one in. That problem is fixed for now. Its got a nice screen but ive noticed when watching netflix i can see black dots, which a friend told me was some type of glue used to hold the screen. And of course the battery issue is a big one, and i do have a couple social networking apps that i use once or twice a day.

My main goal of this thread was to see if any other razr owners were having the same feelings i was getting. Seems like the whole time ive owned the phone ive been getting {pushed} around with updates on issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Let me just say no apologies are necessary. Like i said i realize its a first world problem, and i have plenty of old bricks myself so no need for anyone to donate me one. I would also like to point out i am not an apple fan, i drink domestic beer, own an f150 and eat beef . I hope that takes any idea away that i am some kind of apple lover( my comment about switching to the iphone was an irrational outburst of anger). However getting back to the luxury issue, yes it is a luxury, but its a luxury i pay for. I think we should get a little more love from these companies for the amount of money we pay. Im not try to rattle anyone or start any problems i have been an android owner since the first week the original droid came out. And let me just go on record and say the razr would be a great phone if it did everything it was suppose too, or if verizon/ Motorola fixed their problems. As far as issues , i think its ridiculous i have to use airplane mode at least once a day to get my signal back. My sim card issue was that everyday my phone would say no sim card, when it had one in. That problem is fixed for now. Its got a nice screen but ive noticed when watching netflix i can see black dots, which a friend told me was some type of glue used to hold the screen. And of course the battery issue is a big one, and i do have a couple social networking apps that i use once or twice a day.

My main goal of this thread was to see if any other razr owners were having the same feelings i was getting. Seems like the whole time ive owned the phone ive been getting {pushed} around with updates on issues.

I am pleased to get a better understanding of from where you come - both literally and figuratively. I drink Victory Hop Devil (domestic micro-brew, Downingtown, PA), own a Durango and eat Beef too. I also have been an android customer since very early in the first release of the OG Droid (Droid 1), so we have some definite commonalities.

You have every right to expect something you've paid good money for to perform as advertised and that's one of the reasons why we try so hard here to help (usually :icon_eek:).

The issues you have with lost data connection are, as I said before, likely not the phone's fault - or at least not solely the phone's fault. I actually found that Airplane mode was not as effective as Data Enabler Widget. It's a small widget that sits on the screen, and you simply tap it once to shut data off, then a few seconds later tap it again to resume. It works even when Airplane mode doesn't.

The black dots you see are apparently (as you mentioned), based on what some say is a credible report (don't know exactly where it came from and could be simply a rumor), due to the glue/adhesive used to laminate the motherboard to the back of the display. It is a known issue with these SAMOLED displays and is different with every phone. Some have lots of marks, some virtually none. Some are in apparent "patterns" (like mine that has circles that look like wedding bands), some have "lines" (that look like scrub marks or wipe marks), some have dots of varying sizes.

To get one that has NO marks is trial and error with potentially multiple Like New Warranty Replacements, however this problem isn't unique to Droid RAZRs, as I have seen reports from other cellular phones that also have a similar construction with SAMOLED displays and suffer likewise. I do know this is only visible in very dark rooms and with very dark scenes in movies, or when the screen turns black (or when using a test screen of all black). For most, it's almost never seen and when it is, it is simply a point where you say to yourself, "there's those marks again". It doesn't seem to bother the great percentage of people, but those who seem to have the biggest issue with it are those who watch video, so I can't say it's no big deal.

The battery issues are definitely a concern for many with the RAZR, but if you look at the battery comparisons with other smartphones, you'll find that the RAZR actually lasts longer than most. Of course the RAZR MAXX smashes the competition but we're talking RAZR here. Again, there are things you can do to minimize your battery consumption without negatively impacting your user experience. Turning off background updates to the social networking and simply hitting refresh when you look once or twice a day will help.

Does anyone else wish to add valuable and helpful comments/suggestions?

OP
A

aquaholic

Reaction score
I am pleased to get a better understanding of from where you come - both literally and figuratively. I drink Victory Hop Devil (domestic micro-brew, Downingtown, PA), own a Durango and eat Beef too. I also have been an android customer since very early in the first release of the OG Droid (Droid 1), so we have some definite commonalities.

You have every right to expect something you've paid good money for to perform as advertised and that's one of the reasons why we try so hard here to help (usually :icon_eek:).

The issues you have with lost data connection are, as I said before, likely not the phone's fault - or at least not solely the phone's fault. I actually found that Airplane mode was not as effective as Data Enabler Widget. It's a small widget that sits on the screen, and you simply tap it once to shut data off, then a few seconds later tap it again to resume. It works even when Airplane mode doesn't.

The black dots you see are apparently (as you mentioned), based on what some say is a credible report (don't know exactly where it came from and could be simply a rumor), due to the glue/adhesive used to laminate the motherboard to the back of the display. It is a known issue with these SAMOLED displays and is different with every phone. Some have lots of marks, some virtually none. Some are in apparent "patterns" (like mine that has circles that look like wedding bands), some have "lines" (that look like scrub marks or wipe marks), some have dots of varying sizes.

To get one that has NO marks is trial and error with potentially multiple Like New Warranty Replacements, however this problem isn't unique to Droid RAZRs, as I have seen reports from other cellular phones that also have a similar construction with SAMOLED displays and suffer likewise. I do know this is only visible in very dark rooms and with very dark scenes in movies, or when the screen turns black (or when using a test screen of all black). For most, it's almost never seen and when it is, it is simply a point where you say to yourself, "there's those marks again". It doesn't seem to bother the great percentage of people, but those who seem to have the biggest issue with it are those who watch video, so I can't say it's no big deal.

The battery issues are definitely a concern for many with the RAZR, but if you look at the battery comparisons with other smartphones, you'll find that the RAZR actually lasts longer than most. Of course the RAZR MAXX smashes the competition but we're talking RAZR here. Again, there are things you can do to minimize your battery consumption without negatively impacting your user experience. Turning off background updates to the social networking and simply hitting refresh when you look once or twice a day will help.

Does anyone else wish to add valuable and helpful comments/suggestions?

thanks for the data enabler widget idea, i downloaded and will give it a try. Im going to look and see if i can find some smart action settings to help with the battery issue and see if i can push it longer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sydman said:
You are both completely right, I apologize for mine and changed in completely. They kicked me out of my office at work this AM for a new Sales guy to use since I am just tech support. Was feeling a little less than empathetic.

I hear ya, and not to get to far off topic, let me just say that i hope things go better for you. Its never any fun to feel like you've been pushed aside. Try to stay positive :)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
thanks for the data enabler widget idea, i downloaded and will give it a try. Im going to look and see if i can find some smart action settings to help with the battery issue and see if i can push it longer.

Since nobody else did so, let me suggest one thing you can do that will assure your meter is accurately representing the remaining power in the battery so you're not lead to believe it's in need of a charge when it might not be.

As always, I suggest that you do the following at least once every couple months or so;

1. Power the phone off by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the "Power off" option when your next opportunity arises where you don't need the phone for several hours (like bedtime).
  2. Plug in the Motorola Cable and Motorola Wall Charger Adapter.
  3. Allow the phone to boot into charge in Charge only mode (animated battery illustration) and charge until the charge level reaches 100%. To check the level at any time, tap the Volume Down button (again, thanks Trash Can).
  4. Once charge to 100% with power off is completed, disconnect the charger and power the phone on.
  5. Use the phone until the level reaches 15% and the phone signals "Low battery". Try not to use much beyond 15% remaining but make sure it at least reaches that level of discharge before proceeding.
  6. Repeat steps 1 through 4.

This process is called "training" the battery's meter to the actual capacity and maximum and minimum levels of the battery. Since the battery will over time diminish in ability to hold a charge (as all batteries do), and also since the discharge rate is not linear, meaning the drop in voltage for each decreasing percentage is not uniform, it is difficult for the meter to maintain accuracy without these infrequent trainings. This is not a defect of either the battery or the phone, but rather a characteristic of the specific battery chemistry and the best possible execution of a level indicator given the difficulties described.

Also, this type of battery actually prefers to be charged more frequently and used in shorter periods between charges, so for instance using from 80% to 30%, then charging to 90% and using to 40% (100% cumulative use over 2 charges) is actually better for the battery than charging to 100%, using to 15%, charging to 100% and using to 85% (same 100% cumulative, but the first jaunt was 85% consumed). Charging more frequently in shorter bursts will prolong the battery, and since it was designed not to be user-replaceable, that's a good thing.

These phones are far more powerful and capable than any phones previously. In fact, they are almost suitable as a replacement for and when you are away from your desktop computer and in many cases function quite well in the interim. With all that added power and ability comes greater power consumption. As battery technologies progress, hopefully this will not be such an issue in the future, but with computer technology advancing so rapidly it's likely that more powerful hardware will add to the burden on these batteries. Perhaps there will be a breaking point where the technology gets more efficient rather than simply more powerful and as a result we may see greater run times out of future phones, but for now we make do. My former phone was a RAZR (now I sport the MAXX), and I can say that by being smarter about how I used it, I was easily able to get through a day on a single overnight charge, even while using it quite heavily during the day.

Plug in whenever it is convenient, whether it's the wall adapter, car adapter, or a laptop or computer USB jack. There is no risk to the battery from topping the charge off or adding a partial charge at any point in the usage cycle. Your battery will perform better and you will be less and less concerned about "running out of power". I suggest you think of your battery meter as your car's gas tank. You wouldn't likely hesitate to add $20 or $40 to the tank at any time during your travels, but you would certainly be hesitant to drive it on "empty" for fear of running dry on the highway. If you keep that mentality with your phone's battery you will be far less stressed for it.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
Since nobody else did so, let me suggest one thing you can do that will assure your meter is accurately representing the remaining power in the battery so you're not lead to believe it's in need of a charge when it might not be.

As always, I suggest that you do the following at least once every couple months or so;

[*]Power the phone off by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the "Power off" option when your next opportunity arises where you don't need the phone for several hours (like bedtime).
[*]Plug in the Motorola Cable and Motorola Wall Charger Adapter.
[*]Allow the phone to boot into charge in Charge only mode (animated battery illustration) and charge until the charge level reaches 100%. To check the level at any time, tap the Volume Down button (again, thanks Trash Can).
[*]Once charge to 100% with power off is completed, disconnect the charger and power the phone on.
[*]Use the phone until the level reaches 15% and the phone signals "Low battery". Try not to use much beyond 15% remaining but make sure it at least reaches that level of discharge before proceeding.
[*]Repeat steps 1 through 4.

This process is called "training" the battery's meter to the actual capacity and maximum and minimum levels of the battery. Since the battery will over time diminish in ability to hold a charge (as all batteries do), and also since the discharge rate is not linear, meaning the drop in voltage for each decreasing percentage is not uniform, it is difficult for the meter to maintain accuracy without these infrequent trainings. This is not a defect of either the battery or the phone, but rather a characteristic of the specific battery chemistry and the best possible execution of a level indicator given the difficulties described.

Also, this type of battery actually prefers to be charged more frequently and used in shorter periods between charges, so for instance using from 80% to 30%, then charging to 90% and using to 40% (100% cumulative use over 2 charges) is actually better for the battery than charging to 100%, using to 15%, charging to 100% and using to 85% (same 100% cumulative, but the first jaunt was 85% consumed). Charging more frequently in shorter bursts will prolong the battery, and since it was designed not to be user-replaceable, that's a good thing.

These phones are far more powerful and capable than any phones previously. In fact, they are almost suitable as a replacement for and when you are away from your desktop computer and in many cases function quite well in the interim. With all that added power and ability comes greater power consumption. As battery technologies progress, hopefully this will not be such an issue in the future, but with computer technology advancing so rapidly it's likely that more powerful hardware will add to the burden on these batteries. Perhaps there will be a breaking point where the technology gets more efficient rather than simply more powerful and as a result we may see greater run times out of future phones, but for now we make do. My former phone was a RAZR (now I sport the MAXX), and I can say that by being smarter about how I used it, I was easily able to get through a day on a single overnight charge, even while using it quite heavily during the day.

Plug in whenever it is convenient, whether it's the wall adapter, car adapter, or a laptop or computer USB jack. There is no risk to the battery from topping the charge off or adding a partial charge at any point in the usage cycle. Your battery will perform better and you will be less and less concerned about "running out of power". I suggest you think of your battery meter as your car's gas tank. You wouldn't likely hesitate to add $20 or $40 to the tank at any time during your travels, but you would certainly be hesitant to drive it on "empty" for fear of running dry on the highway. If you keep that mentality with your phone's battery you will be far less stressed for it.

Sorry FoxKat,..... I must've been napping. I usually spread the word of the Fox ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Who ever is so sick of their razr they wanna dump it...let me know just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

aquaholic

Reaction score

1. Power the phone off by pressing and holding the power button and selecting the "Power off" option when your next opportunity arises where you don't need the phone for several hours (like bedtime).
  2. Plug in the Motorola Cable and Motorola Wall Charger Adapter.
  3. Allow the phone to boot into charge in Charge only mode (animated battery illustration) and charge until the charge level reaches 100%. To check the level at any time, tap the Volume Down button (again, thanks Trash Can).
  4. Once charge to 100% with power off is completed, disconnect the charger and power the phone on.
  5. Use the phone until the level reaches 15% and the phone signals "Low battery". Try not to use much beyond 15% remaining but make sure it at least reaches that level of discharge before proceeding.
  6. Repeat steps 1 through 4.

awesome advice, i will try that. Also maybe you could help me with some questions i have about this smart actions thing i just set up. I set it up so that when the display is off and it is not charging that the gps and background syncing is off. Having background syncing off wouldnt effect text messages and calls would it ?

Trash Can

Reaction score
Having background syncing off wouldnt effect text messages and calls would it ?

No, and you could shut off cellular data as well. However, be advised that cellular data is required to send/receive MMS messages, even when connected to WiFi. Cellular data does not affect calls or SMS messages.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just be aware that if your phone has to constantly search for its data connection, this can also have a negative impact on your devices battery life. This would occur if you turn off your data connection every time your screen was off, then had it reconnect when you wake the device.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Androidatic

Reaction score
Who ever is so sick of their razr they wanna dump it...let me know just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have one with a 64gb sd card I'll sell you. If you're REALLY interested please PM me.

I have an iPhone on the way and am putting this on eBay once I get the iPhone up and running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk