Should I do a factory reset after ICS update?

Type_R

Reaction score
Hello fellow forum members, Im a new user here but I have been reading the forums for awhile and this forum contains great advise and tips about the Razr and Maxx. I recently upgraded to the Maxx about 3 weeks ago and this forum has had answers to my questions that I had after upgrading from my Incredible 1.

I know that over the next few days/weeks that the Razr and Maxx will be upgraded to ICS and I have seen some members say that it is wise to do a factory reset after upgrading to ICS. My question is, is this really necessary? Im a computer guy and I know its bad to run a new version of an OS over the old files from the previous OS but is it necessary for my droid? I know that I will lose all of my settings and that I will lose any game progess which isnt all that much and Im ok with doing it. But is it really needed to do that on a droid?

droidbio

Reaction score
I was thinking the opposite ..would it be better to do the factory reset before ICS?
Then all of the extra apps and data are erased.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to the ics sub forum.. Thanx :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I did a fdr on all of my maxx's last week. I just wanted to make sure that I had a clean I stall. I think that the install however does a very good job of clearing it's own path..... just my 0.02 :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You don't have to do a factory reset before or after the update. They're designed in a way that you can install the updates without resetting anything.

However, doing a factory reset helps to minimize potential issues. As a computer guy, like you said, you know that if you're updating to a new version of an OS on a computer, it's always recommended to do a clean install instead of doing an upgrade over what's already there. You can do an upgrade, keeping your files and many settings, but there's a chance for file fragments to linger that might cause potential problems after updating, along with several other potential problems. A clean install always performs more smoothly and minimizes those potential problems.

It's exactly the same with Android. You don't have to do a reset. Chances are, everything will work just fine without doing one. But doing one does make things run smoother and also prevents many potential problems that could pop up.

OP
T

Type_R

Reaction score
Sorry I posted in the wrong spot. Yea I was hoping that I could avoid an FDR and I did that with my Incredible and it was screwy every now and then. But like you said bsweetness, its always a good idea. I may just approach it as a wait and see what happens.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I did not do a FRD and it's been just fine for the past 6 days.

Droid4G

Reaction score
My phone was acting up after I installed ICS this morning so I performed a factory reset. Haven't had problems since.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

stm

Reaction score
My phone was acting up after I installed ICS this morning so I performed a factory reset. Haven't had problems since.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I did not do a FDR, but clearing your cache will help. Also, rebooting (power cycle) will help after installing the update. Give it some time to settle in, then reboot.

Last edited:

stm

Reaction score
How do you clear cache?

Ummm... I don't trust my memory to give the steps off the top of my head. I've only done it once or twice since I've had this phone. Can't remember where I found the steps. I know its in the recovery menu.