Several Questions From A Newbie

nooter99

Reaction score
I'm new to smartphones, bought the Droid about a week ago, got a couple of questions.

1. The lights on the 4 permanent menus on the bottom of the phone are going on and off randomly (quite frequently), is this normal? If not, any suggestions?
2. Is a task killer app really necessary? Seems to be some debate about this. If it is, which is the best one?
3. Are there certain apps that no self-respecting Droid owner should be without? What are a few of the "must haves"?
4. I downloaded the Astro file manager, but haven't figured out how to create new folders (remember, I said I'm new!) Can I get a quick tutorial.

Got many more ?'s, but I'll let you guys handle these easy ones first. Thanks in advance!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. No they should stay on as long as your screen is on

2. A task killer app can be a good thing, especially for browser when you're done using it, I recommend it, but don't kill all tasks, alot of apps run in the background. If you want a task killer, I recommend Advanced Task Killer.

3. A file explorer, Astro or ES File explorer, are a must. If you're a sports guy, Sportstap is a must. Handcent for texting is also, i would say, a must.

4. I use ES, sorry can't help there.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. this is due to your phone being on "auto-brightness". turn this off in settings > display.
2. this is certainly a debate. i use Advance Task Killer free to kill all apps that i'm not using.
3. too many to name... everybody has their faves... i'll point you in one direction: if you like retro games, be sure to grab "SNESoid", "GameBoid", Gearoid, and/or NESoid.
4. not sure how to create folders WITH astro. but you can make folders via the home screen. press the menu button at top, then click add folder...

boatman2220

Reaction score
With Astro, open it up navigate to where you'd like to create the new folder. Use the menu button on the phone not at the top of the screen. This opens another menu that has "create folder ", I've found most times the long touch or the menu button on the phone opens more than I knew was there.