New to Android, have some questions.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by XfLRKS, Sep 15, 2010.

1. XfLRKS

XfLRKS New Member

First of all, I'd like to thank anyone that provides any help in advance. It's kind of overwhelming at the moment, I bought the phone yesterday. It's my first Android, and also my first smartphone. Anyways...

1. When I was at Verizon, they had to sync it to my gmail. There's all kinds of screwed up things on that account, I won't go into detail, but I don't want to use it and have since made a new one. However, it seems I cannot remove my old account without doing a factory reset because it is required for some apps. I don't have that many right now, and all are free so that isn't an issue. But, I do have some questions about it.
    -What exactly does it reset?
    -What can go wrong?
    -Will it save my contacts, or should I write them down or something?
    -Will it affect my service, i.e. disable me from calling, texting, browsing, etc and needs to be activated again or something? Or will I just need to sync my new gmail account?

2. When I was at Verizon, the salesperson installed the Task Killer. I have since read that using the task killer is bad, is this true?

3. Will my phone revert to 2.1 if I factory reset? It was 2.1 when I bought it, then I did the update to 2.2, will I have to do it again?

4. Any general tips for a new Android user would be appreciated as well!

Thanks again to anyone who can answer ANY of my questions, I really appreciate it. :)
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

:welcome: to the Forum

The most important thing here (besides never let a VZW employee set-up your device for you) is to uninstall the Task Killer it slows your performance and is not needed, Android has a very efficient task managment process built into the O/S

As far as a factory reset, it would make your phone just as it was before the VZW employee started messing with it exept it will be activated and linked to your wireless number, no harm in a factory reset

Again welcome and anything we can do to help, just ask
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Almost forgot, a factory reset will not change your Android Version, it will stay at 2.2
  4. mtz_gto

mtz_gto New Member

1.) Brings everything back to stock, wipes data, apps, contacts etc..
    If you have not changed any of the system files aka (Not Rooted) you
    will be fine. You will be able to enter your other gmail account.
    If you wnat to save the contacts you already have you can back them
    up to the sdcard from the contacts page, click the menu, then export it.
    Your service will be fine, I am pretty sure you wont have to do another OTA
    (Over The Air) programing but if you do you wont have any problems unless
    your bill isnt paid and your service is suspended.

2.) Yes task killers are a no no. Your android phone already has a built in
    task killer inside the OS (operating system). There is a link here on the forums
    of google developers talking about the harm of using 3rd party task killers.

3.) No.

4.) search the forum as much as possible, break down your search options for
    key words if your previous searchs arnt returning anything of use.

My pleasure, hope this helps.
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome! See comments above. Hope this is helpful
  6. harrellj

harrellj New Member

Write your contacts down or go to google.com/contacts and export them from the account you're currently using on your phone. Also, write down the apps you've installed and make backups of their settings (if possible). Since you want to switch Google accounts, these items will be saved to your previous account and will need to be added back into your new account.
  7. XfLRKS

XfLRKS New Member

Thanks for the comments everyone, very helpful. Sorry for the late response, was a little busy writing everything I'll need down. I'm about to reset it, hopefully nothing can or will go wrong. >_> I'll make sure to come back if anything happens, or I need help with something, and I'll stay around the forums. Thanks for the welcomes and help again.
  8. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

We'll be here if you need anything!
  9. XfLRKS

XfLRKS New Member

Well I just finished the reset, however the 3G icon is not present in the notification bar at the top? Is this because I have WiFi on? How do I turn my 3G back on?
  10. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

It was briefly mentioned, but if you have a paid app, you don't have to repurchase it if you do a factory resent. If you uninstall it within 24 hours of purchasing you'll get your money back. If it's uninstalled after 24 hours there'll be no refund, but you do get to install it without paying for it again.
  11. harrellj

harrellj New Member

If you're on wireless, you won't have the 3G icon since your data needs are being handled by the wireless instead of via Verizon.

Are you connected via wireless or just have the radio enabled?