1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Apps keep running in background

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by w0lfinator, Nov 9, 2009.

1. w0lfinator

w0lfinator New Member

Hey..Newby here, got my Droid on Friday and it is unreal...

I got a few questions but I feel if I look around they'll eventually get answered. The one I haven't seen answered though is that I constantly have apps running the background. I didn't open them or anything, but they just start running on their own. I run advanced task killer frequently to make sure i keep good battery life and every time i open it I have apps that I haven't even gone into running. They are usually pre loaded apps(so I am thinking it is something with the way they are loaded).

Also, Does anyone know of a way to remove pre loaded apps. Say I want to use handcent instead of the default messaging program. Can I remove the messaging app??

THANKS A TON for any help!
  2. blukgt

blukgt New Member

i have the same question can the original messaging app be removed
  3. thinkamp

thinkamp New Member

if you root your phone...i think you can get rid of this applications.
  4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

For those that don't want to read through that thread, the main point is that the Android OS is built to run apps in the background without screwing things up. It can pull resources for memory as needed, so don't worry about constantly closing apps. You really only need to mess with killing apps when one of them is causing problems for the phone. If battery life is an issue, the task killer might help some as well.
  6. Judy

Judy New Member

To Kill or Not to Kill?

Newby here...So does it hurt my phone to put the Advanced App Killer on it or not? The Best Buy people put it on when I went back to add a shield...said, oh, you need this....it will increase your battery life & be a lot faster. Don't know about faster, but I can go almost 2 days now without charging...before I'd have to charge at 8 p.m.....

Is it okay to continue with Advanced App Killer since I get extension of battery life....or am I messing up something else?
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Are you going to believe someone who works at a best buy or would you prefer the words of people from the droid community who spend sun up to late night with heir droid? Task killers are not necessarys. They interfere with the way your droid workis its memory. You don't need them.
  8. Judy

Judy New Member

Now, I can't kill it!

OK, trying to kill the Advanced App Killer....drag it to the trash, but it won't stay gone.....

Open it; press 'kill selected apps...won't stay away that way either.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You have to uninstall it. Easiest way is market/menu button/downloads. Press on it and uninstall.
  10. Judy

Judy New Member

Deleted. Thanks so much.

Would you happen to know why I can't load a new Contact? I put up Contacts/Menu/New Contact/ I put in info & hit Done....but it's not there.
  11. Cyberpolice

Cyberpolice New Member

That's a good question. You are not the only one with this question. I had this question a week ago when I got my Droid X and I saw those programs in the background. I read a lot about the Droid OS before I purchased the phone and it was beautiful and surprising how this OS is put together. It’s like Linux (kind of). Anyhow, I charged my phone 100% and took out the GPS, Wi-Fi, E-mail sync and Bluetooth (Turn off). I was not going to use them so I did not have to have them on. So, my phone was up and running for 1 day and 1/2 without charging. I looked at the program and they were there suspended doing nothing. So DO NOT WORRY ABOUT program running in the background. Remember, the only things that will drain your battery were mention above.
  12. erikfig

erikfig New Member

What droid did you buy? If you have the droid one rooted you can delete them like I did. Intall Titaniun Backup free from the marked. open it seleck backups, select the app you want to delete and press uninstall. You won have any issues, believe me, I deleted all the factory crapy apps.
  13. sioras

sioras New Member

memory drain?

So I've read everything about the "to kill or not to kill" argument via ATK or other task management apps. As far as I can tell, running ATK but not obsessively killing apps that run by default is the most efficient way to run your phone.

However, what I haven't seen mentioned is the slow loss of memory of the day. If you keep your eye on ATK at different intervals in the day it seems like you have less and less memory. Starting at around 215+M and then by the end of the day dwindling down to almost 100. Even if I don't run a single app all day it seems to be the case.

Now I've only recently stopped pounding my KILL selected apps button, so it could be that since the phone doesn't have to keep refreshing the run-by-default apps that this may stop, because I otherwise don't know why the resources would dwindle like that.
  14. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Why obsessed with the free memory? It does not affect the operation of the device.
  15. sioras

sioras New Member

...doesn't it?

and if it doesn't why is it displayed? WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT ME?! :shocked:
  16. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

wow another one of these threads...

If Android needs more memory than there is currently available it will AUTOMATICALLY close down apps running in the backgroud to free up memory. Constantly killing apps running in the background is HARMING you more than they are helping you. Android will automatically start them back up the second you kill them so you are wasting CPU resources as well as battery power by constantly killing them. Another reason Android automatically opens up apps is to allow them to open up much quicker when you do need to use them, like the voice search or the camera or the calender. Try killing the camera with ATK then to try and open it up and see how long it takes to load, now try it when its running in the background...background tasks are there to help you and they use little to no CPU power just idling there...DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM.

Only use ATK when you have an app that wont respond or is obviously draining your battery due to it constantly doing background tasks...but in that case the best thing to do is to just uninstall that particular app since it wasn't written properly by the developer.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  17. ffej89

ffej89 New Member

Well said Eli
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

As already noted, this is a never-ending topic. And it seems to generate new life each time a new Android phone is introduced and uninformed VZW reps (and others) put task killers on phones.

The poster above is absolutely correct. I'll just add one other point (again.) Just because a program is "in memory" does NOT mean it is RUNNING. It is simply sitting there doing no more harm than someone sitting in a chair in a room full of chairs. As long as there are empty "chairs" that new programs can "sit in," the quiet programs "sitting" in memory are doing no harm. They're not consuming resources; they're not using battery power.

There is no advantage in having "free memory" unless memory is so full that there are no more "chairs" available and a non-running program refuses to leave when the Android OS asks it to.

If you MUST have a "task killer," try something like "SystemPanel." It will allow you to kill a rogue app. It will also enable you to see that many programs "in memory" are NOT using any cpu cycles. (As they would be if they're RUNNING.)

What may happen to your phone over time is a couple of conditions that slow things down. You may have so many apps that have to (really) run periodically that your operating system has to move programs out of active memory and even out of cache to do its work. If this is happening to you, try uninstalling some apps. (No one ever promised you that your phone could run everything ALL AT ONCE.)

The other common condition is that you don't clean the cache associated with your email, messaging, or browser apps on a regular basis. When these programs DO run, they drag that data into active memory. Eventually, this condition will force the OS to push other programs out of memory and restart them again when you go back to them. This is an especially common problem when users report that their "launchers" have to redraw the screen on a regular basis. That is typically because the OS doesn't have room to hold the launcher (with 147 homescreens and widgets), the browser (with 50 pages of cached browsing), and email (with 900 emails), and the messaging app (with 4000) messages all in memory at the same time.

In short, as your mother told you...."Clean your room!"
  19. takeshi

takeshi New Member

+1. A good rule of thumb is "don't count on a task killer to resolve your battery life issues". As with any guideline, there are exceptions but the exceptions are almost always misbehaving apps. If you absolutely have to use such an app, a task killer is a useful bandaid solution but you're probably better off finding an alternative app that works properly.
  20. JePiNaY

JePiNaY New Member

I'm glad to have found threads like this about the ATK. When I got my Droid the salesrep actually installed it onto my phone. And since then, I've always worried about apps running in the background and I'd find myself hitting the ATK to kill them.

I uninstalled the ATK a few minutes ago and played around with my phone afterward. It definitely feels more responsive.
Search tags for this page
android apps run in background that i didn't open?
android apps running in background
are there programs running in the background of my droid pho
best way to keep apps from running in background
do my apps keep running in the background
droid bionic keeps apps running
how to keep apps from running in the background on a droid x

how to stop apps running in background android x2

i07 how to keep apps from running in background
keep an app running in background android

keep app running in background android

keep apps running in background android

keeprunning android app