Set CPU help

Mayday

Reaction score
Hi... let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a technically savvy person... at all. But.. I just rooted this past weekend and installed Bugless Beast. Today I installed Chevy's low volt 1.1. I also downloaded Set CPU.... but when I click on it it says that "no root detected". I rechecked and I still have my little superuser permission ninja... and there's nothing but + signs across the board...

Any ideas? Would be sooooo appreciated!

BTW... what you guys do is awesome! Thx!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
are you still getting the msg when you open setcpu

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
yeah. When I open Set CPU it is a black screen for a few seconds (I'm assuming it's checking the settings) and then it says "No root access detected". It also asks if applications have access to root.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You may have selected a phone model when you installed it. If so, uninstall it and reinstall it, you won't have to pay again. When it first opens use auto detect, do not pick the droid from the list of phones.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Maybe you don't have busybox installed.

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
I checked the auto-detect option the first time through. Nevertheless... i just uninstalled it and when I go back to do the reinstall it says that the download was unsuccessful. A little frustrating.

Also... I'm pretty sure I have busybox installed from when I went through the whole rooting and installing the rom process... unless it got deleted somewhere along the way. Not sure how that would happen... but that certainly doesn't mean much.

I want to add that although the "no root access detected" message is only up for me to see for about a second (literally)... I'm pretty sure that it also says "read-only".

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
Well I was finally able to reinstall Set CPU, but it still says "no root access detected" Also says "operating in read-only mode".

It's frustrating having finally gone through the process of rooting and installing a kernel... and then not being able to take advantage of overclocking my droid. Oh well... worse things could happen.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well I was finally able to reinstall Set CPU, but it still says "no root access detected" Also says "operating in read-only mode".

It's frustrating having finally gone through the process of rooting and installing a kernel... and then not being able to take advantage of overclocking my droid. Oh well... worse things could happen.

Ok...just to see. Open terminal emulator and type su and hit enter

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try this:

Open one of the terminal emulators (available in the Market) and type the following exactly:

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

sync

exit

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score

Ok...just to see. Open terminal emulator and type su and hit enter[/QUOTE

Ok. Done... but it says "permission denied".

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Ok...just to see. Open terminal emulator and type su and hit enter[/QUOTE

Ok. Done... but it says "permission denied".

Ok. Something broke root. You need to boot into sprecovery and do a nandroid restore. If you need help doing this let me know.

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
Yeah, I could use some help with that if you wouldn't mind. Is that going to wipe my phone clean again? If it's going to be risky I'm not totally sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Either way.. I really appreciate the help. Thx!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah, I could use some help with that if you wouldn't mind. Is that going to wipe my phone clean again? If it's going to be risky I'm not totally sure the pros outweigh the cons.

sorry for the delay.....we might have to wipe clean, but there is hope, you can back everything up with titanium backup or mybackup pro off the market.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good morning.
To answer your above question, there is very little risk. You have done, and will be doing, stuff lots of other people have done with no lasting ill effects to their phone.
disclaimer:
But, there always is some risk and there are no promises your phone will not end up useless. But, I have yet to see that. But, I have to say that. Your actions are your responsibility, not mine or others:)

This is going to be lengthy, but I want to cover everything, so bear with me.

Could you supply info on the following 3 questions

• What steps did you take to get BB installed? No need for all the steps, just a summary or link to the directions you followed or app you used.
  • What backup steps you took (backup of rom, astro, titanium, etc)
  • When you mount your card to your computer what exists in the following 2 directories (filename and date of file) where /sdcard equals the driveletter on your computer where your phone's card is mounted: /sdcard/nandroid and /sdcard/clockwork/nandroid

Just to to recap, your steps involved in getting a rom applied should have been as follows:
1) Root the phone
2) Replace the bootloader with an alternative recovery bootloader. (sprecovery or clockwork...most likely sprecovery)
3) Create a nandroid recovery file (a snapshot of your existing functioning operating system, installed software, and settings....system, cache, data, etc)
4) flash a replacement rom
5) install setcpu
6) replace your kernel with a new one

Steps 5 and 6 may have been swapped, no big deal, but the other steps all should have taken place. Root was needed to for steps 2, 4 and 6. As noted above somehow root access was lost.

To understand better what is taking place check out the first link in my signature. Matt3w's guide is a very good one, and it happens to be for Bugless Beast too. Even if someone is not installing BB (I didn't when I first rooted and I his guide) I recommend everyone read through it.

What is a nandroid recovery? (which you seemed unclear of in a previous post):
Step 3, above, was when you made a recovery (backup) of your phone. It would have been a snapshot of everything you had prior to starting to root, but taken just after you rooted and before you installed BB. Restoring this will get your phone back to that state: rooted with all apps and functionality present. It's a good idea to always take a nandroid snapshot, to get a nandroid recovery file, whenever changing themes, flashing a new rom, etc. It lets you quickly get back to what you had set up recently, all data, apps, settings, screen layout, etc.
However...if you no longer are rooted I am pretty sure you will not be able to do a recovery. You need root to replace the existing /system and other directories with your backed up data. If you do not have a backup already, I don't think I'd take one now. Something is hosed in your operating system and a complete backup of system and data could bring that along for the ride.

Option A: try Matt's steps to get rooted again. There are only 8 of them. alternatively you could try whatever method you originally used to get rooted (which you should be posting in your reply as requested up above).

Option B: use link 3, below, to sbf your phone. Only a couple of steps there and often times it is faster than fudging along trying this and trying that. This step will completely wipe your phone. It will put it back to an out-of-the-box condition. Once done you enter your gmail account and all of your contacts come back from Google. Next, you root again. Using sprecovery you do a nandroid restore of the snapshot you took way up above in step 3. Install Android Terminal Emulator from the market. Type su in lowercase letters and the # should show up. You're rooted now.

Help us help you by supplying the additional info, let us know how you are making out, and let us know what you'd like to do.

I'm not going to be near a computer all day but this should get you closer so others can assist if I'm not nearby. I'll touch base back here when I can, good luck.

OP
M

Mayday

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help! As for your questions.... I followed Matthews instructions to get rooted and install BB.... which means that I used Titanium Backup. I also used his instructions to install Chevy's kernel. I didn't run into a problem until Set CPU. I guess I somehow got unrooted somewhere along the way... which is weird since I'm still running BB.

On the file directory names... I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for... but the nandroid file just says "nandroid" and was last modified on 3/27/10.

I'm going to redo Matthew's first 8 steps when I get home from work. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can manage to get it done.

Again.... your help is very much appreciated!