overclocking and setting cpu help

jbrock98

Reaction score
ok i finally rooted, i'm running the stock 2.1 with root access, build# ese81 by pete and i got rom manager the preminum version for flashing roms, have a some questions and i've been searching for answers i hate starting new threads when i know they're prolly already out there so sorry for that but here we go......

1)overclocking, is it something i need to do if i'm gonna start flashing and playing around with roms to see which i like?

2)is overclocking the same as setting cpu?

3)what does overclocking allow you to do?(what does it change about the phone) just performance and battery life?

4)is there any where i can read up on it in detail or any vids?

5)does each rom need to be set at different hertz or whatever its called?

6)wat does the kernal do for the phone and is it related in anyway to the cpu or overclocking?

7)if there ways to change to kernal that a custom rom comes with and still keep the custom rom?

i know those are noob questions and answers to any would be of some help...i'm gonna be using rom manager to flash roms cause doing it without it seems to be to difficult for me at this point

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
1)overclocking, is it something i need to do if i'm gonna start flashing and playing around with roms to see which i like?

2)is overclocking the same as setting cpu?

3)what does overclocking allow you to do?(what does it change about the phone) just performance and battery life?

4)is there any where i can read up on it in detail or any vids?

5)does each rom need to be set at different hertz or whatever its called?

6)wat does the kernal do for the phone and is it related in anyway to the cpu or overclocking?

7)if there ways to change to kernal that a custom rom comes with and still keep the custom rom?

1) You need a overclockable kernel installed, most custom ROMs come with the stock kernel, so you'll need to look into a custom kernel.

2) I think you're asking about SetCPU, which is just an app for controlling the clock speed. BB1.0 doesnt require SetCPU, as the functionality is built in.

3) You force the processor to run faster than it was designed to go. You increase performance, but also run the risk of increased heat, damaging the processor, and running in a less stable state. Read the Wiki page on overclocking. The effects are the same, no matter what hardware you're OCing.

4) Yes, there are a ton of guides and videos, and they're pretty easy to find with a search if you know what process you want to follow.

5) What? Hertz is a measurement of frequency, inverse seconds. Clock speed is measured in Hertz....

6) Read the Wiki on the kernel, simply put, it's the lowest level of software, that allows the OS to control the hardware. You need a modified kernel to allow overclocking, since the kernel tells the CPU how fast to operate.

7) Most Custom ROMs dont come with any specific kernel, just a suggestion by the dev as to which kernel you should use, and yes, you can install a new kernel without modifying the rest of the ROM.

JCo352

Reaction score
ok i finally rooted, i'm running the stock 2.1 with root access, build# ese81 by pete and i got rom manager the preminum version for flashing roms, have a some questions and i've been searching for answers i hate starting new threads when i know they're prolly already out there so sorry for that but here we go......

1)overclocking, is it something i need to do if i'm gonna start flashing and playing around with roms to see which i like? You Don't have to, but you should consider it.

2)is overclocking the same as setting cpu? You use SetCPU to set profiles and control your clockspeed.

3)what does overclocking allow you to do?(what does it change about the phone) just performance and battery life? It makes your phone much snappier, and can help with battery life with the right set up.

4)is there any where i can read up on it in detail or any vids? Just search Overclocking.

5)does each rom need to be set at different hertz or whatever its called? Some Roms work better with different kernels. The amount you overclock has a lot to do with your phone.

6)wat does the kernal do for the phone and is it related in anyway to the cpu or overclocking? A kernel is what allows you to overclock.

7)if there ways to change to kernal that a custom rom comes with and still keep the custom rom? Yes.

i know those are noob questions and answers to any would be of some help...i'm gonna be using rom manager to flash roms cause doing it without it seems to be to difficult for me at this point

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
OP
jbrock98

jbrock98

Reaction score
so getting an overclockable kernal is a must if i'm gonna install a custom rom from rom manager? where and how would i go about getting an overclockable kernal? ....so using the setcpu app from the market is not overclocking the phone? i'm lost there, how do u overclock the phone without the setcpu app?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You DO NOT need an custom kernel to install a custom ROM.

You DO NEED a custom kernel to overclock.

Depending on which ROM you're using, you may or may not need SetCPU to overclock. BB1.0 has the functionality built in, most others do not.

OP
jbrock98

jbrock98

Reaction score
JCo352;478821 1)overclocking said:
You Don't have to, but you should consider it.[/COLOR]

2)is overclocking the same as setting cpu? You use SetCPU to set profiles and control your clockspeed.

3)what does overclocking allow you to do?(what does it change about the phone) just performance and battery life? It makes your phone much snappier, and can help with battery life with the right set up.

4)is there any where i can read up on it in detail or any vids? Just search Overclocking.

5)does each rom need to be set at different hertz or whatever its called? Some Roms work better with different kernels. The amount you overclock has a lot to do with your phone.

6)wat does the kernal do for the phone and is it related in anyway to the cpu or overclocking? A kernel is what allows you to overclock.

7)if there ways to change to kernal that a custom rom comes with and still keep the custom rom? Yes.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

when u say u use setcpu to set profiles what does that mean, a profile for each rom?.....if a kernal is what allows u to overclock then setcpu is something i don't necessarily need? the kernal i use is what chooses the overclock setting? and can i manually choose what to set it at from the phone or just install the kernal and it chooses it for me

OP
jbrock98

jbrock98

Reaction score
You DO NOT need an custom kernel to install a custom ROM.

You DO NEED a custom kernel to overclock.

Depending on which ROM you're using, you may or may not need SetCPU to overclock. BB1.0 has the functionality built in, most others do not.

what is BB1.0?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
when u say u use setcpu to set profiles what does that mean, a profile for each rom?.....if a kernal is what allows u to overclock then setcpu is something i don't necessarily need? the kernal i use is what chooses the overclock setting? and can i manually choose what to set it at from the phone or just install the kernal and it chooses it for me

This processor uses scaling, which simply means different clock speeds for different needs. An example profile says "If the temperature of the core gets to X degrees, then the clock should run at Y MHz".

A kernel allows the overclock to happen, SetCPU controls when it happens and under what scenarios (profiles). If you use BB1.0, then you dont need SetCPU to control the OC.

Really, you should spend the day reading about Overclocking and Kernels on Wikipedia. If you dont understand what you're doing, you can really screw yourself.

OP
jbrock98

jbrock98

Reaction score

This processor uses scaling, which simply means different clock speeds for different needs. An example profile says "If the temperature of the core gets to X degrees, then the clock should run at Y MHz".

A kernel allows the overclock to happen, SetCPU controls when it happens and under what scenarios (profiles). If you use BB1.0, then you dont need SetCPU to control the OC.

Really, you should spend the day reading about Overclocking and Kernels on Wikipedia. If you dont understand what you're doing, you can really screw yourself.

yeah i'm def gonna try and read up on this stuff, but i'm glad to know i can still flash different roms without overclocking, but where do you get these different kernals?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kernel not kernal.

They're available for download all over the place, it depends on which developer you want to use. Most ROM devs will link to the kernel dev they support.

OP
jbrock98

jbrock98

Reaction score
the reason i'm asking all this stuff is cause all the reading and stuff i need to do i'm not gonna be able to do for a few days, the computer i use is eat up with viruses and my new computer just came in friday my buddy sets up companies networks for his job and he lives in another state and he's moving all my files over to the new computer and setting up my new one with expensive crazy good anti-virus and everytihing there is too do and he's been hung up from gettin it done b/c of a death in the family so i'm using my girlfriend's laptop and she's going back to school today and i won't have a computer for a few days so i'm trying to get all the info i can in these last couple hours b4 she leaves so sorry for being annoying and for all that info i jus typed just wanted to explain myself i know how i am on yoyo forums with noobs so i feel your guys pain lol