Semi Bricked - Need Help!

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Messed up pretty good somehow... I'll try to keep this short...
-Originaly running DM1.0 for a few months, wanted a change
-Installed Rom Manager, flashed CM with Jrummy, worked great
-Switched to BBv1.0, liked this one too but wanted change
-Tried to flash UD New Era and Redrum 1.3... Rom Manager was giving me error (AN ERROR OCCURED TRYING TO RUN PRIVILIGED COMMANDS). Could not do anything in Rom Mgr without getting that error. Tried uninstall/reinstall Rom Mgr... no dice. Not even Clockwork Recovery
-Booted into maintenance mode and did a nandroid backup from 2 weeks ago. This resulted in a DroidMod boot-loop.. basically just flashing the DroidMod emblem slowely, not getting any further.
-Booted into maintenance mode and reluctently did a factory reset/wipe.
-This worked fine, until I tried to sign into Gmail... it tells me I don't have suffecient signal, even though I do. I can browse the internet via google. 3G bars galore. Flashes 3G bars until I hit go to connect to sync gmail..
-Called Verizon to make sure data was still turned on... Data plan is in place and acct should be fine. Troubleshooting with Tech did nothing. Be basically stated the worse case scenario would be factory reset, which I've allready done.
-Figured maybe it was 3G somehow, got home and tried to connect to wifi... it see's my router, but will not connect... grr...

So, there ya have it.... phone workes fine to make calls, and browse most sites (besides google)... but its pretty much worthless without sync to google...... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Link 3 in my sig? Back to stock, see how it works, then root again?

If you have other nandroid backups you could try those first.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
PHEW!!!!!!!!!! your awesome.... back to stock.. signed into google, wifi workes.. I feel better.... Gonna use your guides to re-root :)

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
PHEW!!!!!!!!!! your awesome.... back to stock.. signed into google, wifi workes.. I feel better.... Gonna use your guides to re-root :)

If I were you, don't call Verizon unless it's a last resort. They could get suspicious and void your warranty. Not fun. Just post here and I am sure you will get help that not one Verizon rep could give.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice... I will do that in the future, as I seem to be vary apt at breaking electronics... Ok, trying to root using the guide in Christim's link. I DL'd Petes file and renamed it, unmounted then tryed to reboot in recovery. I hold X while booting up, but I get a triangle with a question mark in it in front of a droid. I don't get the options... what am I doing wrong?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice... I will do that in the future, as I seem to be vary apt at breaking electronics... Ok, trying to root using the guide in Christim's link. I DL'd Petes file and renamed it, unmounted then tryed to reboot in recovery. I hold X while booting up, but I get a triangle with a question mark in it in front of a droid. I don't get the options... what am I doing wrong?

Hold up on the volume rocker, then press the camera button.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
^^ ok that worked.. you might want Christim to update his steps to include that. Also his step that says "install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)" actually says "apply sdcard/update.zip"... Small things, but when your dealing with people that aren't as tech savvy as you, being specific counts... :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Christims guide is refering to sprecovery, which you don't have. You won't be able to root 2.1 without it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
ok... well, I think now the issue lies with Rom Manager... I rooted using Christim's guide successfully. I'm not getting the privilige error from Rom Mgr anymore... but I try to load 2 different Roms and they loaded.... then went into boot loop after install. Droid emblem, then red eye... then black, droid emblem, then red eye..... over and over.... New Roms only result in boot loops... Can you guys help me or is there a Rom Manager tech support?

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Christims guide is refering to sprecovery, which you don't have. You won't be able to root 2.1 without it.

I am rooted... (ninja superuser, Rom Manager works now)... unless I'm mistaken and the rooted procedure didn't actually work...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I am rooted... (ninja superuser, Rom Manager works now)... unless I'm mistaken and the rooted procedure didn't actually work...

As long as everything works...I may have misreads omething earlier...it was late :icon_eek:

ON installing the new ROM did you wipe data and cache?? that is the usual cause of boot loops.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
no.. I didn't.... I just did a factory reset/wipe... return to stock.. there is nothing on there.... but if you recommend it, I'll try to wipe data/cache... I really think there is a problem with RM....

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
no.. I didn't.... I just did a factory reset/wipe... return to stock.. there is nothing on there.... but if you recommend it, I'll try to wipe data/cache... I really think there is a problem with RM....

If the problem was with RM I would think the ROM wouldn't even flash. There have been some issues though but if it as least flashing then there's something else wrong. I'm having issues now where I cannot install any update.zips for some reason. Hoping to get this fixed soon, as I cannot install any ROMs from RM.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Can't catch a break... I flashed Redrum1.3 again, only this time I checked the backup and the wipe... this time it seemed to flash.... came back up, and RM said I was on Choas Redrum1.3 etc... but it looked like stock, only WAY less icons... including no market or gmail! So basically it was worthless.... I nandroided back.... this is so frustrating....

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Can't catch a break... I flashed Redrum1.3 again, only this time I checked the backup and the wipe... this time it seemed to flash.... came back up, and RM said I was on Choas Redrum1.3 etc... but it looked like stock, only WAY less icons... including no market or gmail! So basically it was worthless.... I nandroided back.... this is so frustrating....
That ROM looks stock.....did you select google apps before you installed?