Help with a possibly bricked droid

Jav

Reaction score
I posted this in the hacking forum, but this is probably a more appropriate place...

Hey guys. I've been struggling with a Droid issue. I think the Droid has a hardware problem and will need to be sent back via warranty, but that's gonna cost some $ so I thought I'd check with some experts first.

The background... I have a droid that I have rooted and runs SPRecovery. So I've played around a little bit with RSD Lite and such.

My friend has a droid that was completely stock FR22 via OTA updates. His droid was left on a carseat with a leaking bottle of water. The droid did not get soaked, but it got wet enough that the water indicator sensor is now red.

The droid only boots into the Bootloader 2C.6C screen, but will not boot past that screen (regardless of whether the D pad is pressed up or not). If I try to recover by flashing a stock 2.0.1 sbf file the flash stays at 99% and then fails with an error switching phone to BP passthrough mode. I've tried about 20 times and always get the same error. The phone will still only boot to the 2C.6C screen.

I tried flashing SPRecovery onto the phone and that succeeds. I can then boot into SPRecovery instead of the stock recovery software by pressing X when I boot the phone. I've tried putting various update.zip files (stock ones) onto the SDCard and loading them that way, and the process always says it succeeds but when I reboot the phone it will still not get past the 2C.6C screen (no red eye or such).

My guess is that the onboard flash may be bad in the O/S section but not the bootloader sections... But I thought I would ask if anyone has any other suggestions before I give up... I'm also hoping that as long as I put the normal recovery software on the phone prior to returning it that it should be fine. I would hate to have messed up his warranty after the phone was already trashed!

Thanks for any thoughts!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the water indicator is indicates it was soaked in water then he is going to have to use his insurance any way because the warranty will not cover it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is some one on here who knows the inside workings of vzw so i am going to have him look at this thread.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nvrmnd he is not on the forum at the time. i will Pm him, but I am sure you prob will not get an answer until later.

OP
J

Jav

Reaction score
Thanks. I understand that he will have to use his insurance, and it's a pretty hefty deductible for the smartphones... That's why I want to make sure I try everything to get it working before he goes that route. Thanks for the time to think about it!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since the phone has the red water indicator, unfortunately it voids the warranty issue with the phone. It will cost $90 deductible but you can get a replacement phone now.