Screen touch problem

Nasa

Reaction score
My d2g fell and since then, started having a mind of its own, like a ghost finger opening, closing, cycling through lots of apps, folders, screens etc.

Sitting in the dock, worked fine for about 30 minutes and started doing it again.

Went to Verizon and opted for an early upgrade to the d4.

They offered me $35 for it. I kept it. Is there somewhere that can fix it?
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

vrbcik

Reaction score
hi,

I have very similar problem, as though I was pressing on one particular place on the screen. temporarily helps locking the screen, cleaning it a bit (against shirt or trousers), but it reappears again-after touching the same place. any ideas? is it fixable? may it be because the phone got "sweat" in arm-pocket while running? (it was not wet from me but from moisture inside the plastic).

I have seen some display for change with kit, but I am afraid it does not help.

thanks for anyhelp

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Nasa

Nasa

Reaction score
I think I will order a digitizer screen with tools and see if I can change it out myself. Should be about $20 and shipping. If I get it going, I'll give it to my better half. I like the D4.

d1mm3r

Reaction score
Please let me know if you get it working again. I'm having the same problem and would love to fix it.

evanlec

Reaction score
I just recently started having the exact same problem you describe. Like the thing had a mind of its own. Was driving me INSANE!

Somehow after leaving it overnight on the charger, after a day or two it stopped going crazy. But, it still displays some really frustrating touch-screen issues. For example its pretty much impossible for me to press on anything on the right -most centimeter column of the screen. Also the touch seems to be more innacurate, typing with the on-screen keyboard is pretty much useless.

I thought it was from perhaps problem with recently flash Cyanogen Mod 7, but after reading this, it appears that something is wrong internally (possibly moisture like you said).

Really sucks, I liked the phone a lot, lasted about a year or so. I wonder if I can qualify for this "early upgrade" and get a D4? God I hope so...

evanlec

Reaction score
You guys weren't happening to be using CyanogenMod were you when this happened?

I'm guessing not, and that my phone is Fubared :angry:

And my next upgrade date isn't until August :( DAMNIT

evanlec

Reaction score
I think I will order a digitizer screen with tools and see if I can change it out myself. Should be about $20 and shipping. If I get it going, I'll give it to my better half. I like the D4.

Nasa, were you able to replace the screen with the digitizer screen and fix the issue?

It doesn't sound like it worked...which sucks because I can afford $20 for a new screen, definitely cannot afford $550 for an early upgrade to D4 :angry:

OP
Nasa

Nasa

Reaction score
I have not ordered it yet. Have had too many things to do and not enough time. I will reply when it is done. I paid about $230 for the early upgrade to the D4.

evanlec

Reaction score
I understand, in your opinion, do you believe that replacing the "screen" on this phone would

remedy the issue you and I are having? If so, what site would you order one of these screen

replacements from? I don't want to order from a random site found on Google & find out it's unreliable...

I'm thinking I might only need to pay $230 or so as well for early upgrade to D4 but right now thats

still beyond my budget...economy is taking its toll on me very acutely. Thanks for your help btw.

vrbcik

Reaction score

I'm guessing not, and that my phone is Fubared :angry:

And my next upgrade date isn't until August :( DAMNIT

The problem was not ROM dependent on my phone, It made on the STOCK and also in MIUI ROM. I think it's moisture problem, since some people in Singapore was asking for some similar symptoms...? But nothing official.

I would upgrade, but newer phones are too large for me. D2G is accurately sized for me :-( Unfortunately it does not seem to be developed with more precise (retsina?) display to enhace dpi - and enlarge display size by its quality :-(

evanlec

Reaction score
The problem was not ROM dependent on my phone, It made on the STOCK and also in MIUI ROM. I think it's moisture problem, since some people in Singapore was asking for some similar symptoms...? But nothing official.

I would upgrade, but newer phones are too large for me. D2G is accurately sized for me :-( Unfortunately it does not seem to be developed with more precise (retsina?) display to enhace dpi - and enlarge display size by its quality :-(

Thanks vrbcik, I believe you are correct. Popping the battery cover off the other day I noticed the dreaded "pink" marker, which I am pretty sure means that moisture has penetrated the phone to some degree.

Anyone got a working d2g for sale? :blink:

d1mm3r

Reaction score
No Cyanogen mod

I have never used the Cyanogen mod. It's just stock Verizon Android for Droid2 with this problem.

I used a razor blade to clean the edges of the screen and that seemed to help noticeably, but the problem has not gone away.

evanlec

Reaction score
I used a razor blade to clean the edges of the screen and that seemed to help noticeably, but the problem has not gone away.

Meaning you used the razor blade to slide in around the outside edge of the screen? (i.e. the small space between the where the screen edge ends and the plastic frame begins?

d1mm3r

Reaction score
Meaning you used the razor blade to slide in around the outside edge of the screen? (i.e. the small space between the where the screen edge ends and the plastic frame begins?

Yes, exactly.

stani

Reaction score
This recently happened to me, I guessed that the left half digitizer ribbon cable became dislodged because the right half of the screen still worked. I watched a 6 minute video on how to get to the replacement digitizer screen, and you have to dis-assemble everything to get to the screen, it is the last piece in the project. I recommend you buy a new D2G, they are out there, it's a 956, do not buy a 955, that's a Droid 2. Or go to your Verizon store, most of the techs know a good cellular phone repair guy to recommend. I estimated that buying a new screen and labor charges would be around 140, and I bought a new one with old software for 168 with free shipping. It came with the old .607 sofware, so I can root with Pete's Tools, and disable updates and tether and keep my grand-fathered 3G data plan until I break or drop my phone again. If you can upgrade, do it, but if you go from 3G to 4G LTE, whatever that means, you will lose your "unlimited" data plan if it is "Grandfathered" sometime in July - August.