Screen Jumping / Phantom touches

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
But on the bright side you should get a fully functional device! lol

I hope so. Of course, now I have the dilemma as to whether to use the screen protector or not. I'll keep the CF case now that I know that isn't the problem.
I had the protectors from Verizon... never had any screen response issues... I think your problem is the device itself.

UNC

Reaction score
Use the protector, I can guarantee that this is a software issue.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Watching the video...yeah that badboys messed up. Looks pretty cool typing all that though.....

Easy exchange on that for sure.

Sent from somewhere...

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ummm, that's crazy. Early warranty time I'm guessing. Sorry you had issues like that.

Good luck!

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
Update

Just an update. Got a new phone from VZW today. None of the same issues yet. Have the CF case and screen protector on it.

I'm installing my previous apps one at a time over a few days to see if any one of those may be the issue.

The Verizon techs were amused by the issue. It wasn't doing it consistently while I was there - glad I was able to bring up the video! :)

I do have some unrelated issues with my new phone, but that's a subject for another thread. I also need to verify that the problems aren't due to my own stupidity. :D

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, not every phone, but a lot of them have had some kind of little issue. Either software or update problems (froyo).

Glad to hear you got it taken care of:)

moset

Reaction score
Just found this thread. My D1 just started the same thing. I just took a screen protector off. From Otter Box. I was rooted but back to stock and got an OTA just after return to stock OS. Weather just turned cold. Could that be a factor? Static?

OP
tkstock

tkstock

Reaction score
Well, getting a new phone solved MY problem ... :D The screen protector was not the problem, apparently. It was a OS / Hardware glitch, apparently.

moset

Reaction score
I am getting a replacement too. My Verizon tech is thinking screen protector. Seems to have started after removing one from otter box. Reloaded OS OTA and no change. He says he has seen several X's with the problem. Just his opinion based on experience. I cleaned my screen after OTA so far no problem but could come back. Replacement on the way anyway.

moset

Reaction score
I pulled the SD card and the problem disappeared without the SD in. I formatted the SD and really flashed the OS and so far after a full day of use no phantom touches.
I have a replacement on the way but I'm not sure if I want to give up my Droid that has never been dropped and runs most kernels for a referbished one that may be inferior. Any thoughts on how to test the referb before I send mine back. I have about a week to play with it. Referb should be here soon.

UNC

Reaction score
So, I dropped by Droid (1st generation) for the nth time, and the screen wouldn't come on. Fortunately, I was scheduled to upgrade next week, so I was able to get them to push it up so I could get the Droid X. Along with the phone, I purchased the Carbon Fiber case and screen protectors. All was fine for a while - synched, downloaded apps I used to have, etc.

Suddenly, my phone started getting what appeared to be phantom touches on the screen - I wasn't touching it, but the screen kept acting like I was. It was jumping side to side, selected a menu item, installed a shortcut, etc. My initial very informal testing seemed to point to the case. I took it off, and the phone still had an issue, even after reboot. So, I did a factory reset. All was fine for several hours, so I reinstalled the CF case. Within minutes, the phone started jumping around again like I was touching it, which I wasn't.

So, I removed the case, did another factory reset. Within a few minutes, the phone started having issues again. Could the screen protector be causing an issue? Has anyone else heard of an issue like this?

I've had this issue before, it was actually a software issue... try changing kernels/roms.

Figured I'd bump myself because I think it's relevant. I could maybe get some video of it happening if I can remember what kernel it was....