Droid screen jumps around

redman333

Reaction score
I have a very aggrivating issue. My screen just started jumping around randomly. It doesn't do it all the time but if you leave it for less than 2 minutes it will start jumping around as if my finger is on it moving it around. Then it will stop after about 3 minutes of doing this and then start back up.

I have tried taking the battery out becuase I couldn't touch the button on screen to tell it to shut off and that didn't fix it. I thought maybe I had a virus so I downloaded a antivirus and it said I had one file that was a virus and it deleted it but it still hasn't fixed the problem.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I've only heard about this happening while charging the phone with a charger other than the factory charger or one with the incorrect voltage. Didn't read the full story but I'm assuming the heat increase is causing the screen to register that it's being touched. I can put the end of a toothpick in my mouth then rub the end on an icon in circles for a few seconds and then it registers. Is your phone getting hot at all? May need to visit a Verizon store or try doing a factory reset.

OP
R

redman333

Reaction score
In case your wondering what I found out. I took the battery out a few different times, installed a virus program and it came up clear, deleted the last few apps I downloaded even though they were from Verizons section of the app store. No luck after all of that. I took it to verizon and they did a factory reset, still didn't fix the problem so now verizon is sending me a new phone. I should have it today or tomorrow.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In case your wondering what I found out. I took the battery out a few different times, installed a virus program and it came up clear, deleted the last few apps I downloaded even though they were from Verizons section of the app store. No luck after all of that. I took it to verizon and they did a factory reset, still didn't fix the problem so now verizon is sending me a new phone. I should have it today or tomorrow.

Sweettooth is right, we usually hear about that kind of problem due to using an off brand charger, even for a short time. Glad it all worked out and Verizon's going to give you a new phone. Good luck with the next one.
:i-m_so_happy:

mab1284

Reaction score
Screen Jumping

Question, I just read that using a non factory charger causes the screeen to jump and I just order the Seidio micro usb charger advertised below on this forum and am now wondering if I will have this same issue?

Is anyone using the Seidio charger? I guess we shouldn't assume that items listed in the Droid store will work?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Question, I just read that using a non factory charger causes the screeen to jump and I just order the Seidio micro usb charger advertised below on this forum and am now wondering if I will have this same issue?

Is anyone using the Seidio charger? I guess we shouldn't assume that items listed in the Droid store will work?

The primary concern is that the charger has a regulated output to 5V +/- 0.25 and put out at least 500ma (the more ma, the faster the phone will charge up to a point). Many of the aftermarket chargers have unregulated outputs and put out as much as 9Vdc, particularly toward the end of a charge cycle when the current draw is low. The droid is only spec'ed for 4.75-5.25Vdc at 500-1000ma. It's conceivable that the out of spec voltage could damage the phone and/or battery. So be careful. If your new charger meets the spec, you should be fine. Hope that helps to clarify.

TheRican

Reaction score
I have this problem and it is not the charger. The phone decides it wants to freak out sometimes for some reason, on and off the charger. I know this has to be an actual problem as I just received my first replacement for this problem and it had the same issue (as soon as I turned it on).

So I have narrowed it down because I put my new battery in my brand new phone and it is doing this (unless the battery they gave me is busted). Either way, I don't know what Verizon is going to do about this, but the next replacement better work or I am going to raise some trouble.

TheRican

Reaction score
Got my replacement today and it was some kind of hardware issue. The replacement is working fine though and as a 12/10 manufacture date.

modedspec5

Reaction score
I have this problem and it is not the charger. The phone decides it wants to freak out sometimes for some reason, on and off the charger. I know this has to be an actual problem as I just received my first replacement for this problem and it had the same issue (as soon as I turned it on).

So I have narrowed it down because I put my new battery in my brand new phone and it is doing this (unless the battery they gave me is busted). Either way, I don't know what Verizon is going to do about this, but the next replacement better work or I am going to raise some trouble.

I had the same problem with my Droid. (had screen protector on it. they gave me a new phone, put a new protector on it, within a day had the same problem. Removed the protector and problem diapered

jazzcat

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

First the pull down menu for email, etc., wouldn't work.

Then the screen would jump around....and then settle down.

Progressed to should I say "declined" to the phone jumping to another icon....press phone, maps comes up...

then if I was able to answer or make a call, the phone would keep dialing the number 5...like 40 times.

No I didn't get it wet, or drop it.

Interesting that Verizon promised to replace it, then called me back and said that since they were out of stock, they would replace it with an Eris.

I don't think so!

Replacement on way.

mac101gyver

Reaction score
:motdroidvert:Had the same problem also. Screen jumping up and down very quickly and randomly from one thing to the next. It became unusable so I took it back and the tech ordered me one after seeing what it was doing. I received the replacement Droid 2 days later. Had it about a 2 weeks now which is about when the first one started flaking out so we'll see. It seemed to act up a lot more after carrying it in my pocket which makes me believe it may be heat related or is that just a coincidence?

scottes

Reaction score
I signed up just to thank you all! Pulling my phone off the charger before doing anything with it fixed my screen jump issues entirely. Thanks again!