Saving attachments from GMail?

themuttt

Reaction score
If you have looked at the folders on your SD card you can see that specific programs seem to create and manage specific folders. Perhaps that is the reason you are best off only downloading those files that can be opened with a specific app. Otehrwise the SD card could become a tangled mess. On the other hand, I would prefer to be trusted to manage my own SD card but you can easily manage it only when you can see the folders - when the Droid is connected to your computer.

For moving over mp3's try DoubleTwist on your Mac or PC and hook up your Droid via the USB cable. It is a slight bit confusing at first but read some of the forums. It seems to be a very powerful program for managing audio, video and pictures on your Droid.
www.doubletwist.com
but the point is not having to hook the phone up to the computer.

anyone figure this out yet? I tried with 2 mp3 ringtones but could only get a "preview"

HEMDROID

Reaction score
when i first got this phone i had two options (preview and download) now only preview is there... this is so annoying, why did they remove the dl option? I believe some app developer has rights to it.

HEMDROID

Reaction score
I just previewed a power point attachment read a few more emails and returned to that pp to view again and it did not need to re-download it and came up almose immediately so that pp is stored in the phone but I can't save it??? BS!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can save Gmail. You need to archive it. That will save it in a folder called all mail. You can access this when your mail is up and you press the menu button.

One of the things I did was set up a bookmark for gmail so I can easily access any other mail I need to get to. Gmail is absolutely great.

droidME

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a solution to this yet, or is it simply not possible.

I've archived the email and know that it's saved, but still can't save a jpg (from an email) to the Gallery so that it's accessible with all my other pictures.

frantic84

Reaction score
I heard rumors that they are gona fix it an a jan 2010 update (unconfirmed)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a solution to this yet, or is it simply not possible.

I've archived the email and know that it's saved, but still can't save a jpg (from an email) to the Gallery so that it's accessible with all my other pictures.

Hmmm..You could go to your computer, open the file, then attach your droid to the computer and simply drop it in that way.

droidME

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about the rumors frantic84 and for the advice hookbill. I'm hoping for a way to do it without having to always connect to the pc. Hopefully the rumors are correct!
:motdroidvert:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I just do a manual work around until finding something better. It is not elegant or a one step process, but it works.

I had an MP3 I wanted to send as a ringtone. So before I sent it I renamed it to a .jpg

Sent the file to my Gmail account. Once it arrived I pressed to fetch the attachement. Once it was fetched it asked to open with Gallery, I told it too, of course the screen was blank (you may can skip this step??), then closed Gallery.

I then opened my File explorer (AndExplorer) went to the "Download" folder on the SD card, saw a file called Downloadedfile.jpg. Selected the file and changed it to .MP3... and tapped the file and it started playing :)

You can move it from there to where ever you want it.

As I said, not a one stepper, but it does work for now until we have something better and should work for any file type.

Wolfwise

Reaction score
I tried this out myself. I found that it does save them to sdcard/downloads automatically. You should be able to move it and do what you need to from there. Hope this helps.

Wolfwise

gwtx2

Reaction score
Work Around

Until Google adds this feature to their Android mobile email app which should have been there on day one, there is a work-around. Sign in to gmail on the phone browser and download from there. Works great for mp3's, too.

brochaos

Reaction score
i do basically the same thing that 928droid mentioned. just rename using astro. it took me like an hour to figure this method out when i was trying to send a friend an apk file.

weaz

Reaction score
Until Google adds this feature to their Android mobile email app which should have been there on day one, there is a work-around. Sign in to gmail on the phone browser and download from there. Works great for mp3's, too.

Brilliant, thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I tried this out myself. I found that it does save them to sdcard/downloads automatically. You should be able to move it and do what you need to from there. Hope this helps.

Wolfwise

Best way to do it...Get Astro File Manager

TheShaz

Reaction score
OK - I installed ASTRO

Sent myself a ZIP file - when it shows the PREVIEW button, it opens ASTRO the I get "FILE TYPE NOT FOUND"

??????

UPDATE: I'm using some FTP space I have until they fix this. I have the MotoDroid and the wife has the Eris. One thing we BOTH like to do is read books on our devices. Using Calibre on latop to catalog and covert to EPUB, we both like Aldiko over WordPlayer as the reader on the Android.

Was looking for a way to send the books to her without having to connect via USB

Cant email a zip file, even with ASTRO it doesnt work with GMAIL :mad: so for right now I will put them on some FTP space I have and email her the link, there it downloads ok and ASTRO can move the zip to the IMPORT folder for the reader app and boom all is well.

Would be easier to email, they gotta fix that.