Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Can't wait for Samsung S2.. I don't care for 4g... It has a beautiful screen and a good hardware ...

2. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    SICK! I'll probably get this instead of the Bionic, since this is unlocked and already has developers. I'm sure it won't be hard to port them to our version (Samsung Function). This does have LTE right? If you look it up on PhoneArena, it says it does.

3. soulpatch

soulpatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    My only concern with Samsung is their track record for releases and phone support. I woudl like to have 4G but it is not in my area as of yet. Combine that with the fact that I bet this phone will be at least $100 cheaper then the Bionic due to no 4g and I might be in. I get a new phone yearly so I can jump on 4G next year.

The screen is amazing and the rest of the specs match up or beat the Bionic for the most part. I will miss motoblur but I am sure I could rom somethign on there similar...

Guess it all depends on which one hits the market first...

4. sparty569

sparty569 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bang!

10char

5. Kaiken

Kaiken Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting. Galaxy SII or Droid Bionic?

I've been sitting on this new every two for a few months now. I'm running out of patience for a new phone. I'll grab whatever comes first. Assuming both devices are 4G.

6. SSHGuru

SSHGuru Silver Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Is it true the Samsungs don't have the notification light?

7. texstar420

texstar420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been waiting for the Function to come to Verizon. The screen is what makes all of the difference besides the fact that it beats the Bionic in about ever spec. Don't care about the dumb laptop thingy.

If the Function comes first and has 4g, cause Verizon offers it in my area, then I am getting it. Otherwise I will settle for the Bionic of if that stinks I will get the Droid Charge.

8. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2

ha! .....

9. i3izkit12

i3izkit12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like many before me have already said, if this comes with 4g the bionic isn't getting any love from me. I also think that 4G is a real possibility. There's rumors and even screenshots of AT&T's version of the phone with a slide out keyboard... If they're willing to change the phone to extremes like that for U.S. carriers who's to say they wont stick an LTE radio in the Function. Even if it comes later like september, I'd wait and see what's it like because as awesome as the bionic may be stock, I really dislike the idea of running a stock phone with a locked bootloader for 8-12 months waiting for root and roms.

10. BlacknTan

BlacknTan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No. It has gone through the FCC review process for HSPA+, which SOME carriers call 4g (but it's not anywhere near as fast as LTE). But it does not have LTE according to any press release or specs I have read.

I was strongly considering this phone as an alternative to the Bionic, so I did extensive google-fu trying to track down whether this has LTE, but from what I read, the answer is most likely no. Nothing indicates the GS2 will have LTE.

There was this spring roadmap leak that supposedly stated that galaxy s2 would be released on Verizon with 4G in may, but if you read the leak, you'll see that the Galaxy 2, (which is the galaxy tab 10.1) is what is actually mentioned in the table, and the author mistakenly took that as the GS2. I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from.

Also, many people doubt that the slim form factor of the GS2 can house an LTE radio, which tends to need a thicker phone.

I hope I'm wrong. If the GS2 does have LTE, I will seriously consider it as a contender. But LTE is an absolute dealbreaker for me as I live in Detroit and we have a huge LTE area here.

11. mach330

mach330 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    i really like this phone as it's pretty thin. but i really do want 4g though for an upgrade. But if Bionic keeps delaying and I don't like the size, i may have to just settle with a 3g phone.

12. neoj2

neoj2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could care less about 4g. I hardly travel and im always near a wifi hotspot. Most of what watch on my phone i go though my computer and put it on there. Not sure if 4g will impact the battery life as well (thunderbolt). Performance is what matters to me when i play games on it and move back and forth between apps with no lag is a must. The UI isnt going to matter as im sure this phone can be rooted then you can put on there whatever you like.

Search tags for this page

verizon sii