Samsung Galaxy SII May Come to Verizon as Early as Aug 12, and Before Other Carriers

texstar420

Reaction score
I have been waiting for the Function to come to Verizon. The screen is what makes all of the difference besides the fact that it beats the Bionic in about ever spec. Don't care about the dumb laptop thingy.

If the Function comes first and has 4g, cause Verizon offers it in my area, then I am getting it. Otherwise I will settle for the Bionic of if that stinks I will get the Droid Charge.

i3izkit12

Reaction score
Like many before me have already said, if this comes with 4g the bionic isn't getting any love from me. I also think that 4G is a real possibility. There's rumors and even screenshots of AT&T's version of the phone with a slide out keyboard... If they're willing to change the phone to extremes like that for U.S. carriers who's to say they wont stick an LTE radio in the Function. Even if it comes later like september, I'd wait and see what's it like because as awesome as the bionic may be stock, I really dislike the idea of running a stock phone with a locked bootloader for 8-12 months waiting for root and roms.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
SICK! I'll probably get this instead of the Bionic, since this is unlocked and already has developers. I'm sure it won't be hard to port them to our version (Samsung Function). This does have LTE right? If you look it up on PhoneArena, it says it does.

No. It has gone through the FCC review process for HSPA+, which SOME carriers call 4g (but it's not anywhere near as fast as LTE). But it does not have LTE according to any press release or specs I have read.

I was strongly considering this phone as an alternative to the Bionic, so I did extensive google-fu trying to track down whether this has LTE, but from what I read, the answer is most likely no. Nothing indicates the GS2 will have LTE.

There was this spring roadmap leak that supposedly stated that galaxy s2 would be released on Verizon with 4G in may, but if you read the leak, you'll see that the Galaxy 2, (which is the galaxy tab 10.1) is what is actually mentioned in the table, and the author mistakenly took that as the GS2. I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from.

Also, many people doubt that the slim form factor of the GS2 can house an LTE radio, which tends to need a thicker phone.

I hope I'm wrong. If the GS2 does have LTE, I will seriously consider it as a contender. But LTE is an absolute dealbreaker for me as I live in Detroit and we have a huge LTE area here.

mach330

Reaction score
i really like this phone as it's pretty thin. but i really do want 4g though for an upgrade. But if Bionic keeps delaying and I don't like the size, i may have to just settle with a 3g phone.

neoj2

Reaction score
I could care less about 4g. I hardly travel and im always near a wifi hotspot. Most of what watch on my phone i go though my computer and put it on there. Not sure if 4g will impact the battery life as well (thunderbolt). Performance is what matters to me when i play games on it and move back and forth between apps with no lag is a must. The UI isnt going to matter as im sure this phone can be rooted then you can put on there whatever you like.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I could care less about 4g. I hardly travel and im always near a wifi hotspot. Most of what watch on my phone i go though my computer and put it on there. Not sure if 4g will impact the battery life as well (thunderbolt). Performance is what matters to me when i play games on it and move back and forth between apps with no lag is a must. The UI isnt going to matter as im sure this phone can be rooted then you can put on there whatever you like.

*couldn't care less :)

I too don't really need 4G. If I could have it I would, but from the higher price and worse battery, i'll pass for the next couple years.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Why would anyone get into a 2 year contract with a 3g phone?

Technically, you're eligible for a discount after 20 months. I have no problem locking in the SGS2 for 20 months. 20 months is not that long of a time and by then, we'll just be reaching the point where 4G will be ubiqitous AND we have technology (batteries) that can handle the strain/drain that 4G radios impose. All that being said, I think 20 months from now would be be a much better time to get a 4G phone than now.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Technically, you're eligible for a discount after 20 months. I have no problem locking in the SGS2 for 20 months. 20 months is not that long of a time and by then, we'll just be reaching the point where 4G will be ubiqitous AND we have technology (batteries) that can handle the strain/drain that 4G radios impose. All that being said, I think 20 months from now would be be a much better time to get a 4G phone than now.

Very true... plus I think the GS2 looks to be a better phone than the rumored Bionic, 4G or 3G.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
I do a lot of web surfing outside of wifi, and watch a lot of netflix on my phone, so 4g is a must for me. I'm optimistic about the Bionic's battery life, as the reviews for the Samsung Charge seem to indicate good battery life for that phone.

Plus you can always toggle the LTE radio off when you're not surfing the net.

Don't get me wrong, if the GS2 has LTE, I would probably buy that instead. I hope it does come out with LTE. If that August 12th release date is true, I may have to hold off on the Bionic to see for sure.

poooookah78

Reaction score
I do a lot of web surfing outside of wifi, and watch a lot of netflix on my phone, so 4g is a must for me. I'm optimistic about the Bionic's battery life, as the reviews for the Samsung Charge seem to indicate good battery life for that phone.

Plus you can always toggle the LTE radio off when you're not surfing the net.

Don't get me wrong, if the GS2 has LTE, I would probably buy that instead. I hope it does come out with LTE. If that August 12th release date is true, I may have to hold off on the Bionic to see for sure.

FWIW, I watch netflix movies almost every day on my OG Droid on 3g with no trouble at all.........

King_Bean

Reaction score

Very true... plus I think the GS2 looks to be a better phone than the rumored Bionic, 4G or 3G.

Just based on specs alone, the SGS2 is superior to the Bionic in virtually every way (other than LTE and we've already established that LTE isn't super important -right now - for many of us).

loki993

Reaction score
if this is true then it will definitely have a huge impact on the Bionic sales. Motorola really messed up with this one by not getting it out already. The only thing stopping me from the S2 is I don't like the UI for it. Im actually fond of moto blur. It grew on me. But if someone or something can show me whats so great about the galaxy's ui it might make me switch. Jeez moto....step it up already.

Easily remedied once someone release a custom ROM for it. Root, flash get blur theme...profit

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't believe specs until I see an official announcement so as far as comparing, you can't. The Bionic isn't out yet. I am guesing the SII is a 3g phone though, not 4g.. could be wrong though (and if I am someone will surely point it out). Otherwise, are you a moto fan or a samsung fan?

Yeah After seeing 2 , a samsung and a HTC with the super amoled Im sold. That screens amazing.

Its got the specs, if it doesnt have 4g though Ill still be waiting though.

Samsung Galaxy S 2 beats the Bionic in ever category, save one: no 4g. Everyone seems to think it will roll out just as it did in Europe, same specs and no 4g. If you live in a 4g area and the speed is important to you, then you have a tougher decision, however if pure performance, hardware superiority, and display are more important, then the S2 is a no brainer head and shoulders above winner.

I HOPE this is FINALLY a true release!!!!!

Yeah well the speed is important to me and I just cant bring myself to use my upgrade on something that doesnt have the newest tech in it. It really doesnt make a difference to me becasue I have no problem waiting.

Theyre already talking about a 3D version of the Galaxy by the end of the year. That would almost certainly have to have 4G. If not HTC will have something else by then etc etc. Theres alwasy something new.

if this is true then it will definitely have a huge impact on the Bionic sales. Motorola really messed up with this one by not getting it out already. The only thing stopping me from the S2 is I don't like the UI for it. Im actually fond of moto blur. It grew on me. But if someone or something can show me whats so great about the galaxy's ui it might make me switch. Jeez moto....step it up already.

Easily remedied once someone release a custom ROM for it. Root, flash get blur theme...profit

Been wondering if there is already a large number ROM options floating around out there for the GS2 since its been released overseas for so long. Anyone know? They seem developer-friendly, apparently giving a complimentary phone to the Cyanogen folks to play with. ROM/rooting ability may be the deciding factor here, especially with Moto being so slow to follow through and unlock bootloaders.

Im pretty sure the Cyanogen mod Im currently running on my D2 in one of the nightlies they actually added GSII support for some reason. I mean I know there will be ROMs its just a matter of when not if. Dont know if Samsung releases their phones unlocked, I think they may so that means it will be sooner rather then later. Also didnt the give some phones to devs already?

My only concern with Samsung is their track record for releases and phone support. I woudl like to have 4G but it is not in my area as of yet. Combine that with the fact that I bet this phone will be at least $100 cheaper then the Bionic due to no 4g and I might be in. I get a new phone yearly so I can jump on 4G next year.

The screen is amazing and the rest of the specs match up or beat the Bionic for the most part. I will miss motoblur but I am sure I could rom somethign on there similar...

Guess it all depends on which one hits the market first...

I also had that concern, but If the phone is unlocked there will be updates for it. They jusy may not be from samsung is all lol.

Its simple for me. If this phone has 4G it will be my next phone. If it doesnt ill wait for something else. Im not too interested in the bionic. Maybe post release reviews or holding it can change my mind, but I doubt it.

sk102704

Reaction score

Just based on specs alone, the SGS2 is superior to the Bionic in virtually every way (other than LTE and we've already established that LTE isn't super important -right now - for many of us).

No way. It isn't important to you only if you don't have 4g service, which will likely happen in the near future. Those of us that have that option, 4g is huge. I don't care how good the specs are, if its stuck on older, slower technology its not even an option. If the SG2 is only 3g,its competition will be the D3, not the Bionic!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score

Price
Better battery in some cases
Size on some LTE models.

I wanted a 4G but the pricing was too much except for the revolution. That one I hated how it felt in my hands and I liked the UI of my current one.

Not everyone needs a 4G model

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums