(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

jseah

Reaction score
Do you honestly think they are not going to? It's not good business to hit users with surprise overages or other fees. In my personal experience, VZW has never operated that way.

If VZW ever kicks the remaining folks off unlimited (I have serious doubts), I guarantee they will email, text, call and snail mail you multiple times well in advance of the change date.

Every time this subject comes up, people make-up and imagine these ridiculous scenarios VZW has rarely, if ever, demonstrated a potential to commit. And they use those crazy ideas to gin-up hate and just bash VZW.

This particular subject has basically become a way of trolling this forum. I'm not saying anyone is doing that, but after 3+ years of these unfounded, unproven rumors that never came to fruition it's time to put this subject in the troll category until there's actually something factual and verifiable to discuss.

I personally agree with you. Except for the singular case of unlimited international roaming data, Verizon has always grandfathered people, letting natural attrition take care of the rest. After all these years, there are still people who are grandfathered into America's Choice, even though Verizon did away with it so people couldn't use MOU for data and have to pay per MB. Very, very few people would be willing, let alone afford to pay a 150-200 percent markup on a handset.

Using myself and my five lines as an example, upgrading all 5 lines at full retail every 2 years will cost me about $2000 more (or $1000 a year) versus using subsidized upgrades. With our data usage, and the fact that I am getting the $20 per line Talk Text and Data discount, I am saving about $100 a month (or $2400 over a 2 year contract period) versus switching to Share Everything. That makes up the difference between subsidized and full retail right there. And of course, there is no law saying that I have to replace my handset every two years. For every month that I put off getting a new handset, that just increases the savings. While we still got subsidized upgrades, it made sense to take advantage of subsidized upgrades whenever possible since we had no plans on leaving Verizon anyways. Now that there is no incentive for replacing a phone, other than the desire to get the latest and greatest, I can put off getting a new handset unless either our handsets die, the technology becomes obsolete, or there is a handset that comes out that we "have to have". And the longer we wait, the greater the savings (ignoring the peace of not worrying about overages).

jseah

Reaction score
I have a question. If Verizon does do this and get away with it do you think the other providers will follow suit?
The first one would be AT&T. Sprint and T-Mobile may hang on for a little while longer and use the carrot of unlimited data to try to make some inroads in their subscriber base.

jseah

Reaction score
"IF" it happens. Yes, they would follow suit....BUT it's doubtful. Alot of everyday users would probably say "f*** it" and go back to talk n' text. Any NONE of the providers want that!!
Some users would switch back, but some users would also be hooked on the convenience of having a smartphone. I'm kind of straddling the fence, but leaning towards the smartphone junkie side. I like being connected, but if I had to, I could work through the withdrawal symptoms of not being connected 24/7. I have a friend who still to this day uses a plain old feature phone, even though he could get a smartphone if he wanted and his employer would pay for the additional cost. He just doesn't have the desire to have all those apps, and just needs a phone to make phone calls. He barely even uses text messaging.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My secretary was just told that using the "edge" option would do away with her unlimited data and they would give her 6GB monthly for the price of 1GB of tiered.

I got that offer. Once I understood I was giving up unlimited data for the privilege of a payment program at full retail I just laughed.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people just flush money down the toilet.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The difference between humans and just about every other animal on earth? Humans worry themselves to death over things they have absolutely no control over, and may never actually come to fruition.

As a deer hunter I can honestly say that deer worry about a lot more than humans do!

jimg50

Reaction score
according to there ads you need to buy the phone from them or from someone other than vz to keep unlimited data. another words ebay, or another line like your wifes nbr which. dors not have unlimited. as long as you dont use your unlimited nbr vz claims you keep unlimited data. I have done this for years. I am a vz system tech. not with vz wireless. I make 40 an hour.
due to this going on for years , they are open to class action suites. the fcc could also be brought into the picture. as a federal company which all communicTion companys are. the fcc could rule against then taking it away from people that had it for this many years. it would shake vz up a lot. also many would just go to sprint. vz is being very stupid. I and others would pay ten dollars more for our data plan to grangfather us like sprint. of course that option could be for those of us that still have unlimited.

djspy

Reaction score
Is AT&T offering unlimited data plans again? I see quite a few people here threatening to leave Verizon for AT&T if they take away their unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah, people have been threatening to leave VZW for years...last year it was 1% - and that was high!

Think about that....1%....Basically people leave when they die

TatDroid

Reaction score
As a deer hunter I can honestly say that deer worry about a lot more than humans do!
For the deer - I would call it survivor instinct.
For the person worried about losing the unlimited data on their cell phone plan - I would call that First World Issue.

jseah

Reaction score
Is AT&T offering unlimited data plans again? I see quite a few people here threatening to leave Verizon for AT&T if they take away their unlimited data.

I am not aware of AT&T offering unlimited, however, if my choice was let them take away my unlimited and to switch to tiered on Verizon, or leave and get tiered on AT&T, I would leave and go to AT&T. It comes down to pure economics. In either case, I would no longer have unlimited, however, my company only gets a 19% discount with Verizon (I am grandfathered in at 21%) and a 25% discount with AT&T. Also, ignoring shared data plans and looking at tiered data plans, Verizon only gives you 2 GB for $30 while AT&T gives you 3 GB.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the deer - I would call it survivor instinct.
For the person worried about losing the unlimited data on their cell phone plan - I would call that First World Issue.

Completely agree, though your original comment didn't make that distinction.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

No, only T-Mobile and Sprint offer unlimited data (for the major carriers, that is). AT&T does let grandfathered unlimited users keep it when they upgrade though.

swc2001

Reaction score
Has anyone found any facts that actually suggest this is true? I have called Verizon several times and they claim there is no truth to this.