(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

_33

Reaction score
They did something similar with me. I had 2000 text messages without additional cost (2000 TXT ALLOWANCE was the name in their system). This plan was TXT only and MMS was an additional charge each which I was fine with. Been using it all these years up until last year. This was when they were trying to get everyone onto an LTE phone. Even though my Droid 3 was only six months old, they were willing to give me a Droid 4 for free and reset my 2yr contract start date. The CSR swore up and down that nothing would change on my plan and they could always put it back. That's when they dropped it.

I called to get them to put it back on, but was told it was "incompatible with your phone". I tried to get as high as I could. I even filed a BBB complaint and the best that rep could do was credit me a TXT plan for a year. I was told in their system it was marked as incompatible and it wouldn't let them put it back on. There was no way to talk with a DBA or anyone else on getting it changed. That was the last bait and switch I was going to tolerate from them; after nine years, I've ported my numbers out and suspended my lines (they don't charge for this BTW).

I guess I better get on to selling my grandfathered Unlimited Data plans. I've been slacking on selling them and have been happy with T-Mobile for three months now. Although they did get my preordered Note 3 to me a day after launch, but I know better next time.

Fuzzball. could you explain how someone goes about selling their unlimited plans? I have 4 that I will be switching from very soon.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about terminating early. It is written in your contracts that verizon can change pretty much anything with your contracts as long as they let you out of the contract with no ETF. Why terminate early? If they do remove unlimited from people who have contracts, that is when you move because it will cost you nothing. By the end of 2014, most companies will have a pretty good LTE rollout, and some companies like Verizon will be doing their LTE-A rollout. So just go with whoever offers unlimited at that point.

That is your choice to pay for a phone full price. The problem is that you have no contract with them, they are under no obligation to offer you anything. I have unlimited also... would I be kinda upset if I had just bought a phone full retail and then they took away unlimited? Yes, but then again I knew that was a risk going into it. Anyone who pays full retail for a phone expecting to keep unlimited forever should be warned that Verizon can change anything they want. The only reason anything changes for people on contract is that they are changing the terms of a contract, which it is written in their contract that they can do, but they MUST give you advanced notice and allow you to leave with no ETF by a certain date.

With anyone company, not just Verizon. Unlimited data is a privilege not a right. No company HAS to give you unlimited data if they so choose.

I actually agree with most of this. However, there is a distinction here. Giving me the warning at the time I buy the new phone at full retail that they may be ending unlimited data at some point soon would be fine, and I would consider that then "me taking a risk". But if their policy is "you keep unlimited unless you get a new phone under contract", so I buy a new phone at full retail and they take unlimited away anyway? Then they open themselves up to a lawsuit. Class action lawsuits have been filed on things much less nefarious than that.

They are under no obligation, except that their current policy is I am grand-fathered in. They should live up to that or give AMPLE (and I mean at least a year) warning.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If what we think is right lines up with their bottom line it'll happen. If not it won't. Verizon will have, just like any other large corporation, weighed the costs vs benefits before implementing what they implement. If they take away unlimited, get sued in a class action they'll have already weighed out the cost. They've been sued several times in the past over their policies, lost and still came out more profitable.
Let your wallet do the talking, not your keyboard.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I actually agree with most of this. However, there is a distinction here. Giving me the warning at the time I buy the new phone at full retail that they may be ending unlimited data at some point soon would be fine, and I would consider that then "me taking a risk". But if their policy is "you keep unlimited unless you get a new phone under contract", so I buy a new phone at full retail and they take unlimited away anyway? Then they open themselves up to a lawsuit. Class action lawsuits have been filed on things much less nefarious than that.

They are under no obligation, except that their current policy is I am grand-fathered in. They should live up to that or give AMPLE (and I mean at least a year) warning.

Lawsuit what will be your case? You are not under contract. You bought yor phone out of contract on your own. Verizon has not promised no one out of contract unlimited data. You have no case what so ever. You will just be paying more money to a lawyer who could not help you. All you can do is deal with it or move to another provider if it happens.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I liked your post Preach2K, not because I like what Verizon may be doing but because I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention! Thanks for getting this up over the weekend.

After careful reflection, I realized that even having it liked might be perceived wrong and so I un-liked it, but thanks for bringing it to us regardless. :)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to also add that the more I think about this, the more feasible it becomes that Verizon could do this. Technically speaking, if you are no longer on a two-year contract, then you are on a recurring month-to-month contract. That recurring contract does allow you to keep the Unlimited Data; however, at the end of each month, it is possible/probable Verizon has the legal right to cancel, or alter the contract.

It likely works the same way it does with a lease agreement with a landlord. One your regular lease is finished, it defaults to a month-to-mont contract that mimics the original contract. During that new month outside of the contract, the landlord cannot alter the contract, if they accepted your rent payment. However, the landlord is under no legal obligation to renew or continue the contract as soon as it expires at the end of the month. That is when that landlord can "raise the rent" or require a new lease contract. At that time they are also not obligated to offer the same lease agreement as before.

In the case of Verizon, they can simply say they no longer offer the same "lease" agreement as before, and you are stuck with whatever they offer. This would be potentially bad PR, but that doesn't mean they couldn't legally do it.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Mods, sorry if this is too OT.

Fuzzball. could you explain how someone goes about selling their unlimited plans? I have 4 that I will be switching from very soon.
Google Verizon assumption of liability.

This is correct. Pretty much you "sell" the line/contract to someone (Ex: Ebay). They will either need an account with VZW or go through a credit check for a new account. You go through VZW's Assumption of Liability process to transfer each line/contract. I recommend reading up on the process and calling the AoL hotline and asking them questions. If you want to keep your number, you'll need to port it out before hand because the currently assigned number will go with the line.

Everyone at VZW will tell you that it is not possible to port the number out before hand. They're misinformed. Sign up for new service at a new carrier with new numbers. Preferably on a weekday (not absolutely necessary, but rather not have to deal with the B Team if something goes wrong), find time to be sitting down in front of a computer with your VZW account open and find the option to assign a new number; don't do the new number yet or else you're going to have to call VZW and have them put it back (it can't be ported). Call the new carrier and have them initiate the number port. Wait about 10-15, then make an outbound call on your new phone that's getting the number ported TO to another phone (not to the phone you're porting FROM) and verify the CallerID is the number you're porting. If it's the number you're porting, the port process has been started and on your VZW account you can assign a new number to that line. I recommend doing one line at a time and best to do one line each day just in case since number ports can take a full 48 hours and you don't want to deal with multiple numbers being lost.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
VZW has basically crunched the numbers. By the time 2014 rolls around the number of people left on unlimited plans will be to the point where a few things happen WHEN they shut the door on them:

• The number of people who gripe about it won't make enough noise to impact VZW's overall image.

• The lost cash from people who decide to switch carriers is negated by those who would just pony up the extra loot.

I'm also willing to bet that the people who are stringing out their unlimited plans also account for a large portion of device rooters.

We all know the day is coming.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want to also add that the more I think about this, the more feasible it becomes that Verizon could do this. Technically speaking, if you are no longer on a two-year contract, then you are on a recurring month-to-month contract. That recurring contract does allow you to keep the Unlimited Data; however, at the end of each month, it is possible/probable Verizon has the legal right to cancel, or alter the contract.

It likely works the same way it does with a lease agreement with a landlord. One your regular lease is finished, it defaults to a month-to-mont contract that mimics the original contract. During that new month outside of the contract, the landlord cannot alter the contract, if they accepted your rent payment. However, the landlord is under no legal obligation to renew or continue the contract as soon as it expires at the end of the month. That is when that landlord can "raise the rent" or require a new lease contract. At that time they are also not obligated to offer the same lease agreement as before.

In the case of Verizon, they can simply say they no longer offer the same "lease" agreement as before, and you are stuck with whatever they offer. This would be potentially bad PR, but that doesn't mean they couldn't legally do it.

The real difference here is that there is no upfront cost associated with you going month-to-month (though in those cases the month-to-month rate does go up, and it doesn't in the case we are discussing) on a lease agreement. Also there are protections in place even in your scenario. The landlord has to give notice of changes to the month-to-month agreement. He can't just on the 1st of the month say "now you owe me more".

Regardless, I will be done with Verizon if they don't handle this the right way.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
VZW has basically crunched the numbers. By the time 2014 rolls around the number of people left on unlimited plans will be to the point where a few things happen WHEN they shut the door on them:

• The number of people who gripe about it won't make enough noise to impact VZW's overall image.

• The lost cash from people who decide to switch carriers is negated by those who would just pony up the extra loot.

I'm also willing to bet that the people who are stringing out their unlimited plans also account for a large portion of device rooters.

We all know the day is coming.

Agreed, the writing was on the wall with the CEO's comments recently. However, treating a longtime customer like dirt still will not go over well. I am sure I will have to suck it up and move forward, but I won't like it. And will gladly join any class action lawsuit that might arise from this.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The real difference here is that there is no upfront cost associated with you going month-to-month (though in those cases the month-to-month rate does go up, and it doesn't in the case we are discussing) on a lease agreement. Also there are protections in place even in your scenario. The landlord has to give notice of changes to the month-to-month agreement. He can't just on the 1st of the month say "now you owe me more".

Regardless, I will be done with Verizon if they don't handle this the right way.

Yes... you are absolutely correct that a landlord must give a 30 day notice to any changes in contact when you are in a month-to-month renewal, but that is something that Verizon could easily handle by simply sending out a notice with your bill the month before they plan to introduce the new agreement. Also, to address your other point, if you have already finished your two-year agreement with Verizon, then technically all of the up-front costs have already been paid, so that wouldn't apply here either.

I want to make it clear that I am not agreeing with Verizon if they take this stance, nor do I like it, just pointing out that there is probably no legal way to stop them. There is no law (that I am aware of) which would force them to "grandfather" a previous agreement indefinitely, nor is their any way to force them to keep you as a customer. They likely planned this years ago.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Lawsuit what will be your case?

This is America, my friend.
You don't have to have a leg to stand on to sue someone. You will have no problem finding a lawyer to take the case pro bono.
You could certainly generate bad press for VZW. Hell you could probably even find enough people to do a class action.
You could even *gasp* win.
(Worked in legal for 15 years...)

What I am tired of is people saying VZW has the best network. I puke in my mouth a little every time I hear that. In my area, at least, VZW sucks. Badly.
I live in CLEVELAND, Ohio. One of the top 50 largest cities in the US. IN the city. Not some smarmy little suburb. I get ONE bar of 4G at my house and that toggles between 4G and one or two bars of 3G. HORRIBLE. There are dead spots all over the suburbs where service COMPLETELY FAILS.
As an Ingress player, trust me, I can show you every one of them.
And I love the repsonse when I called them about it:
"Yea, I got a brand new phone and the coverage totally sucks at my house..."
"Well we have an extender you could buy for $250...."
*sigh....

If work didn't pay for my phone, I would not be a VZW customer.
Paid full price for my wife's iPhone last year to save money and keep unlimited data.
If they take that away, she will switch, too. As someone said: not a threat. Just telling it like it is. At least ATT & TMobile work at my house...

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
This is America, my friend.
You don't have to have a leg to stand on to sue someone. You will have no problem finding a lawyer to take the case pro bono.
You could certainly generate bad press for VZW. Hell you could probably even find enough people to do a class action.
You could even *gasp* win.
(Worked in legal for 15 years...)

What I am tired of is people saying VZW has the best network. I puke in my mouth a little every time I hear that. In my area, at least, VZW sucks. Badly.
I live in CLEVELAND, Ohio. One of the top 50 largest cities in the US. IN the city. Not some smarmy little suburb. I get ONE bar of 4G at my house and that toggles between 4G and one or two bars of 3G. HORRIBLE. There are dead spots all over the suburbs where service COMPLETELY FAILS.
As an Ingress player, trust me, I can show you every one of them.
And I love the repsonse when I called them about it:
"Yea, I got a brand new phone and the coverage totally sucks at my house..."
"Well we have an extender you could buy for $250...."
*sigh....

If work didn't pay for my phone, I would not be a VZW customer.
Paid full price for my wife's iPhone last year to save money and keep unlimited data.
If they take that away, she will switch, too. As someone said: not a threat. Just telling it like it is. At least ATT & TMobile work at my house...

It is different in every area. Verizon is has the best coverage in my area while the others stink. Yeah there is a lot of us that do not like Verizon. I think it is a waste of my tax money to sue over something that was not promised by Verizon outside of contract. How long do you think yor case can last big business with a lot of money or you. It doesn't matter how many people you get if it not a written contract you will lose. As for how good Verizon is everyone has different opinions. JD Power gave a great rating.

jseah

Reaction score
It is different in every area. Verizon is has the best coverage in my area while the others stink. Yeah there is a lot of us that do not like Verizon. I think it is a waste of my tax money to sue over something that was not promised by Verizon outside of contract. How long do you think yor case can last big business with a lot of money or you. It doesn't matter how many people you get if it not a written contract you will lose. As for how good Verizon is everyone has different opinions. JD Power gave a great rating.

Class action lawsuits doesn't cost the person or persons suing anything. The attorneys always work on contingency, so whether they win or they get a settlement, the attorneys will collect a percentage of the settlement. Their goal isn't necessarily to get the case heard, but to make defending the case so costly to the company being sued that the company sees an out of court settlement as less costly. Case in point is the emachines class action suit. Someone sued emachines claiming that they manufactured computers with a faulty part that could potentially cause a user to lose or corrupt data when writing to a floppy disk. Acer (which owns emachines and Gateway) settled, and the attorneys got up to $50 million. Each of the five named individuals in the class action case got $25,000. And every covered person gets a choice of either $62.50 in cash or a redemption value of $365 toward a refurbished Acer, eMachines, or Gateway computer. In this case, the attorneys got nearly 50% of the settlement, as the settlement expects to issue 800,000 cash/merchandise vouchers, and the attorneys received an equivalent 800,000 vouchers that is redeemable for $62.50 each. Now the actual attorney's fees may be lower depending on how many vouchers they do issue. So if only 400,000 people file claims for cash/merchandise, then the attorneys only get $25 million.