(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    [​IMG]

Today I got some disturbing news from 2 different Verizon stores, and one showed me confirmation. I was told that, although I have unlimited data, by the end of 2014 Verizon will be taking all of it away. Normally I would not believe the guys at the 1st store, but they were pushing me to buy the phone out-right other then getting the Edge plan. I found that strange in itself. But, since I have mine already ordered at my home store, they had no reason to lie to me. After leaving there, I went to my home store where my order is, and asked my friend about it. He confirmed it and showed me a document. He was telling me that is the plan for 2014. Since we are not under Verizon contract anymore, (we are month to month), I am hoping this will not happen between now and then. I said this was a rumor because I could not get a copy of the document my friend showed me... If you have any kind of contacts at Verizon, please see if you can get information about it from them.
  2. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

Another reason to leave Verizon. Is their coverage great? Sure. Although, it isn't far and beyond better like they used to be. In my opinion, T-mobile is where you want to be in the coming months/years. I switched to them, and it has been great. Data speeds are great, call quality is great, I have yet to drop a call, plan prices are great, and they have all the best phones. And of course...they are friendly to the rooting community :)
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Looks like I'll be able to get out of the contact I just signed after a year. I'll just jump ship if this goes down.

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball" now Free
    1 person likes this.
  4. Preach2k

Yes I would leave but they give me the best service in my area. AT&T is horrible, Sprint is just as bad, and T-Mobile is just horrible.
  5. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

Unfortunately, there will be cases like yourself lol
  6. Rhino94

Rhino94 Member

I'm waiting to switch to at&t. When at&t gets 4G lte almost everywhere then I may switch but Verizon has too good of 4G LTE right now to pass up for 3G
  7. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

AT&T's 4G is about the speed of VZW's LTE

To the OP: I will take a look tomorrow when I get to work and see if anything came through today suggesting this is more than a rumor.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Iggy08

Iggy08 New Member

I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile soon, hopefully by the end of the month. All these decisions Verizon is making is letting me know I'm making a great decision and at the perfect time. It was nice to have Verizon, but honestly T-Mobile's got great coverage in DFW plus they work inside buildings a little better.

I'm looking forward to all the phones, all the freedom, and all the savings :-D
  9. Willyammer

Willyammer New Member

Wonder what this means for all of us who just got their unlimited plans extended during last week's supposed glitch?
  10. Iggy08

Iggy08 New Member

It's a legitimate contract, so you'll get to keep it until the contract expires luckily. But you can bet that they'll kick you off immediately after if they're looking to end unlimited.
  11. Preach2k

If you have a contract for 2 years they can not touch you. You have a contract. But for us that do not have a contract and have unlimited. We could be cut off.
  12. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Well they did just quite a bit of us with unlimited upgrade with a contract, but that doesn't mean they can't touch you, it merely means that they can drop unlimited data and just let you out of the contract with no ETF.
  13. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

LOL...a new variant of this rumor surfaces about every 3 months going on 3+ years now.
    3 people like this.
  14. jimg50

jimg50 New Member

I work for verizon business. they would open the door for many lawsuits if they do this. people have paid full price to keep unlimited data. it would be stealing money from us by stopping unlimited data. between lawsuits and lost customers it would be suicide for verizon wireless.
    I would go with sprints grandfathered unlimited plan then move my number and then disco big red. remember dont disconnect until you get a phone from sprint and have sprint port your nbr from vz. otherwise you will lose your nbr. after porting sprint has your vz line disconnected. now you have your number and unlimited data.

bye verizon
  15. droidbionicmaster

droidbionicmaster New Member

I don't see them doing that. Us people who have unlimited pay full price for our phones.If they did do away with unlimited data I would leave and go to sprint where unlimited means unlimited for life. T-Mobile and at&t are horrible where I live so it's either Verizon or Sprint.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums
  16. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What they did to end unlimited for the old vcast pack users was slowly do away with phone models that supported the feature. You have an LG Dare activated? As long as you did you had unlimited on the vcast pack but once you bought a new phone the system no longer allowed the new phone to have that feature. I see that scenario more than them just cutting off unlimited. Could be phones with lte next gen no longer can work with unlimited or something similar.
    Hope that makes sense.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode (Notetoo)
  17. Preach2k

Lawsuits can only be made by people who have contracts. Those of us that do not have contracts that have the unlimited plan. We do not have a case. Buying the phone outright to keep unlimited plan is something we did. Nothing to do with Verizon. They are just about money like any other business..
  18. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

If this turns out to be true, then at least I have until the end of 2014 to see which carrier has progressed enough with their coverage to make a switch to them. Maybe Sprint or T-Mo will have good enough service for me by then.

Also, this rumor may have something to do with Verizon rolling out their VoLTE. It wouldn't be very profitable for them with unlimited data.
  19. Preach2k

If this happens don't be surprise if the other companies follow suit.
  20. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

I see Verizon simply blocking off future 5G from any unlimited customers before dropping everyone at once from it. I wouldn't think unlimited customers make up a big portion of Verizon nor cause problems like some seem to think. Plus they are ones buying phones outright and more likely to pay their bill on time because they really want to keep what they have currently.

But if Verizon is planning to drop all unlimited customers, end of 2014 is a good a time as any. Hopefully other carriers are more fleshed out at that time, and I can choose who else to go with as limited data doesn't fit my needs at all.
Search tags for this page
is verizon getting rid of unlimited data
new verizon plans 2014
unlimited data verizon 2014
verizon getting rid of unlimited data 2014
verizon grandfathered unlimited data end date
verizon max plan
verizon unlimited data

verizon unlimited data 2014

verizon unlimited data grandfathered 2014
verizon unlimited data grandfathered end date

verizon unlimited data plan 2014