(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
verizon-tarnished-sign.jpg

Today I got some disturbing news from 2 different Verizon stores, and one showed me confirmation. I was told that, although I have unlimited data, by the end of 2014 Verizon will be taking all of it away. Normally I would not believe the guys at the 1st store, but they were pushing me to buy the phone out-right other then getting the Edge plan. I found that strange in itself. But, since I have mine already ordered at my home store, they had no reason to lie to me. After leaving there, I went to my home store where my order is, and asked my friend about it. He confirmed it and showed me a document. He was telling me that is the plan for 2014. Since we are not under Verizon contract anymore, (we are month to month), I am hoping this will not happen between now and then. I said this was a rumor because I could not get a copy of the document my friend showed me... If you have any kind of contacts at Verizon, please see if you can get information about it from them.

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Today I got some disturbing news from 2 different Verizon stores one showed me Confirmation. I was told although I have unlimited data, by the end of 2014 Verizon will be taking all of it away. Normally I would not believe the guys at the 1st store but they were pushing buying the phone out right other then the edge plan. I found that strange in it self. But since I have mine already ordered at my home store. They had no reason to lie to me. After leaving there I went to my home store where my order is and asked my friend about it he confirmed it and showed a document. He was telling me that is the plan for 2014. Since we are not under Verizon contract any more. We are month to month so I am hoping this will not happen between now and then. I said this was a rumor because I could not get a copy of the document my friend showed me.. If you have any kind of contacts at Verizon see if you can get information about it from them.

Another reason to leave Verizon. Is their coverage great? Sure. Although, it isn't far and beyond better like they used to be. In my opinion, T-mobile is where you want to be in the coming months/years. I switched to them, and it has been great. Data speeds are great, call quality is great, I have yet to drop a call, plan prices are great, and they have all the best phones. And of course...they are friendly to the rooting community :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Looks like I'll be able to get out of the contact I just signed after a year. I'll just jump ship if this goes down.

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball" now Free

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Another reason to leave Verizon. Is their coverage great? Sure. Although, it isn't far and beyond better like they used to be. In my opinion, T-mobile is where you want to be in the coming months/years. I switched to them, and it has been great. Data speeds are great, call quality is great, I have yet to drop a call, plan prices are great, and they have all the best phones. And of course...they are friendly to the rooting community :)

Yes I would leave but they give me the best service in my area. AT&T is horrible, Sprint is just as bad, and T-Mobile is just horrible.

Rhino94

Reaction score
I'm waiting to switch to at&t. When at&t gets 4G lte almost everywhere then I may switch but Verizon has too good of 4G LTE right now to pass up for 3G

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to switch to at&t. When at&t gets 4G lte almost everywhere then I may switch but Verizon has too good of 4G LTE right now to pass up for 3G

AT&T's 4G is about the speed of VZW's LTE

To the OP: I will take a look tomorrow when I get to work and see if anything came through today suggesting this is more than a rumor.

Iggy08

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile soon, hopefully by the end of the month. All these decisions Verizon is making is letting me know I'm making a great decision and at the perfect time. It was nice to have Verizon, but honestly T-Mobile's got great coverage in DFW plus they work inside buildings a little better.

I'm looking forward to all the phones, all the freedom, and all the savings :-D

Willyammer

Reaction score
Wonder what this means for all of us who just got their unlimited plans extended during last week's supposed glitch?

Iggy08

Reaction score
Wonder what this means for all of us who just got their unlimited plans extended during last week's supposed glitch?

It's a legitimate contract, so you'll get to keep it until the contract expires luckily. But you can bet that they'll kick you off immediately after if they're looking to end unlimited.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
It's a legitimate contract, so you'll get to keep it until the contract expires luckily. But you can bet that they'll kick you off immediately after if they're looking to end unlimited.

If you have a contract for 2 years they can not touch you. You have a contract. But for us that do not have a contract and have unlimited. We could be cut off.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a contract for 2 years they can not touch you. You have a contract. But for us that do not have a contract and have unlimited. We could be cut off.

Well they did just quite a bit of us with unlimited upgrade with a contract, but that doesn't mean they can't touch you, it merely means that they can drop unlimited data and just let you out of the contract with no ETF.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL...a new variant of this rumor surfaces about every 3 months going on 3+ years now.

jimg50

Reaction score
I work for verizon business. they would open the door for many lawsuits if they do this. people have paid full price to keep unlimited data. it would be stealing money from us by stopping unlimited data. between lawsuits and lost customers it would be suicide for verizon wireless.
I would go with sprints grandfathered unlimited plan then move my number and then disco big red. remember dont disconnect until you get a phone from sprint and have sprint port your nbr from vz. otherwise you will lose your nbr. after porting sprint has your vz line disconnected. now you have your number and unlimited data.

bye verizon

Reaction score
I don't see them doing that. Us people who have unlimited pay full price for our phones.If they did do away with unlimited data I would leave and go to sprint where unlimited means unlimited for life. T-Mobile and at&t are horrible where I live so it's either Verizon or Sprint.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums