[Rumor] Rumors Indicate Verizon's 4G LTE Unlimited Data Plan Will Start at $29.99/mo.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Dont you understand that the ram in the bionic and atrix phones is ddr-2 at 667 mhz, versus standard sdram which is at 133 mhz? I think 512 MB will suit you just fine.

Speed is not the issue, it's capacity. 512megs is still only 512megs. Apps will grow in size and complexity and so something has to be killed when you hit 512, and I don't know if compcache is the solution but it has a ways to go.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I absolutely guarantee you that the extra 256 in the TB will not benefit you in any way, and that the Bionic will outperform the TB even during a ram hogging game. Droid has excellent memory management, i have yet to hold an issue towards it.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I absolutely guarantee you that the extra 256 in the TB will not benefit you in any way, and that the Bionic will outperform the TB even during a ram hogging game. Droid has excellent memory management, i have yet to hold an issue towards it.

It depends. My home launcher is ridiculous and I run a ton of widgets. Ram becomes an issue because the "excellent" memory management has a tendency to kill stuff to free space that I don't want killed.

And the point about the TB is a 500meg rom, and the more stuff in system the less ram available for active services.

It's a very real concern, more for some than others, but it will become more of a concern for everyone with time, simply inevitable. Management and speed is not a substitute for capacity.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well i am from the opposite side of the board, whereas i tune my phone to have the utmost minimal use for the best responsiveness at most times.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well i am from the opposite side of the board, whereas i tune my phone to have the utmost minimal use for the best responsiveness at most times.

Oh, my phone's responsiveness is quite literally instantaneous and could be minimalist if I so chose, and some screens are but I generally choose function over form. I have 14+ homescreens and can pretty much have as many as I want, but that makes my launcher a ram hog. I only run into issues because my D1 doesn't have enough ram.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I didnt realize you are on the og droid! Well i have no issues whatsoever with ram @ 512 megs, and a phone sporting any amount of ddr2 will have much greater speed at your disposal

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize you are on the og droid! Well i have no issues whatsoever with ram @ 512 megs, and a phone sporting any amount of ddr2 will have much greater speed at your disposal

The ram isn't a total deal breaker....If LTE prices don't change, I may end-up buying the Bionic retail and then pawn it when I get my upgrade in 6 months if something signficantly better comes out.

Big Ry

Reaction score
2G was/is $30/month, 3G is $30/month...why wouldn't 4G be $30/month? Only makes sense...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I heard a rumor from a buddy that in the future 4g will be priced by bandwidth speed and not data usage, as an isp acts. like, you pay for a specific speed and you're capped at it but can use that specific speed all you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Adrozz07

Reaction score
Rom size is irrelevant with the TB. All the DDR2 RAM in the world on the Bionic won't stop it from being slowed down by Blur and from being a slave to the crap Moto loads it with. The TB will be unlocked thus giving you the freedom to slim up the system howver you see fit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TriDwayne

Reaction score
You're looking at it wrong. Imagine you have a computer you bought six years ago for $600. You want to buy a new computer today, and you buy a new one for $400 that absolutely blows your old one out of the water.

This could be one of the silliest things I've ever read. Computer I built 6 years ago was about $2k Just built another computer and how much did I put into it? $2300. You can't compare top end technology or 6 years ago with what is now low end technology today. If you want the best you pay the premium. That is how it works.

You trollin?

No, I'm not trolling. If I sign up I have to start posting somewhere. *shrug*

I'm not sure what part of my example was silly considering you pretty much validated it. Maybe I should have said $600 today instead of $400, doesn't really matter though. You paid approximately the same price for a new computer today as you did for one six years ago, however, the old computer doesn't even compare to the new one anymore in terms of speed. You expect technology to improve during that time, but you obviously don't expect to all of a sudden have to pay $3000 just because it's faster. Same thing with 3G and 4G... 3G has been $30 for years now, at this point it's old technology. So, why would you expect to pay more for current technology? 4G should be $30 as well.

Detonation

Reaction score
If they have a promotional period where you can lock in 4G for ~$29.99/mo for 2 years before the price goes up, I think I would bite. I have an upgrade available but am happy with my DX so I didn't plan on using it until the next wave of phones (after the TB and Bionice). But if it means saving $10-15 a month for two years along with getting faster speeds now, I might as well just get a TB/Bionic and then sell it and pay retail for the next one.

dafischman

Reaction score
You're looking at it wrong. Imagine you have a computer you bought six years ago for $600. You want to buy a new computer today, and you buy a new one for $400 that absolutely blows your old one out of the water.

This could be one of the silliest things I've ever read. Computer I built 6 years ago was about $2k Just built another computer and how much did I put into it? $2300. You can't compare top end technology or 6 years ago with what is now low end technology today. If you want the best you pay the premium. That is how it works.

You trollin?

No, I'm not trolling. If I sign up I have to start posting somewhere. *shrug*

I'm not sure what part of my example was silly considering you pretty much validated it. Maybe I should have said $600 today instead of $400, doesn't really matter though. You paid approximately the same price for a new computer today as you did for one six years ago, however, the old computer doesn't even compare to the new one anymore in terms of speed. You expect technology to improve during that time, but you obviously don't expect to all of a sudden have to pay $3000 just because it's faster. Same thing with 3G and 4G... 3G has been $30 for years now, at this point it's old technology. So, why would you expect to pay more for current technology? 4G should be $30 as well.

I think this is a poor analogy. A better one is DVD vs Blu-Ray. When DVD was first released DVD Players and DVD Media were extremely expensive. People who wanted the newest tech paid to be at the bleeding edge. Most people didn't recognize DVD until it came down closer to current day pricing. Then Blu Ray comes out and it was extremely expensive to adopt. Now it's begun to come down in price and finally the masses are starting to consider it.

What this means is that when a technology is brand new and at the leading edge, it always costs more than the previous technology it replaces. You are looking at this as solely a service thing. What you have to realize is that the cost of building the 4G infrastructure is likely far more expensive than what it cost to build the 3G infrastructure. I understand wanting to get more for the same money, but nothing is free, and we rarely get given more for the same money when it is first released. Sure, 3-5 years from now, I could see 4G prices dropping but in order to subsidize the expansion of their network they have every right to cause early adopters to pay a bit more. If you don't like it, stay with 3G.

Josh

Detonation

Reaction score
I think this is a poor analogy. A better one is DVD vs Blu-Ray. When DVD was first released DVD Players and DVD Media were extremely expensive. People who wanted the newest tech paid to be at the bleeding edge. Most people didn't recognize DVD until it came down closer to current day pricing. Then Blu Ray comes out and it was extremely expensive to adopt. Now it's begun to come down in price and finally the masses are starting to consider it.

What this means is that when a technology is brand new and at the leading edge, it always costs more than the previous technology it replaces. You are looking at this as solely a service thing. What you have to realize is that the cost of building the 4G infrastructure is likely far more expensive than what it cost to build the 3G infrastructure. I understand wanting to get more for the same money, but nothing is free, and we rarely get given more for the same money when it is first released. Sure, 3-5 years from now, I could see 4G prices dropping but in order to subsidize the expansion of their network they have every right to cause early adopters to pay a bit more. If you don't like it, stay with 3G.

Josh

The features of technology vs price is a simple exponential relationship. It starts off somewhat linear - you get what you pay for. But as you get closer to the newest, bleeding edge technology, the price (y axis) skyrockets while the features (x axis) only make small gains. As time goes on, those specific features slide down on the curve as they become more standard and get replaced with new features.