[Rumor] Samsung Prime to Arrive on Verizon November 3rd

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My hope (not expectation, but hope) is that VZW learned from the first two Nexuses (Nexi? haha) and listened to their loyal customers (and watched their not-so-loyal customers walk out the door) and do things right this time around. Thought, I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
NFC = Near Field Communication, like the ability to pay for gas from your phone, if I understand correctly... now if you already knew that and were asking what the "clip" part is... I'm in the same boat as you haha

I don't really understand the allure of NFC as a payment option. I might not understand it because in Cleveland (where I live) in Jan. in a snow storm when I have to pump gas I would rather pull out a worthless piece of plastic that only has the value of the cost the CC company charges to replace it if damaged (something like $5 if I remember correctly) rather than my phone which would cost anywhere from $500 to $700 to replace if I damaged it.

jleeusa

Reaction score
It's a Samsung Prime. There is nothing Vanilla or Nexus about it. Expect good hardware, crappy build quality, crappy bloat filled software, good camera, touchcrap, battery drain, and more.

How can you possibly know that? Given that there has been nothing official released, you could be right. But Google us due to release a new Nexus, so why can't this one be it. If there had been an official release I apologize, please post a link to it. I need to what I am going to do, keep Bionic or return it and wait a bit longer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jleeusa

Reaction score
I don't really understand the allure of NFC as a payment option. I might not understand it because in Cleveland (where I live) in Jan. in a snow storm when I have to pump gas I would rather pull out a worthless piece of plastic that only has the value of the cost the CC company charges to replace it if damaged (something like $5 if I remember correctly) rather than my phone which would cost anywhere from $500 to $700 to replace if I damaged it.

Does a touch screen phone even work in that kind of weather? I'm interested on the NFC feature purely as a technological step forward. Just a cool option to have. Connected to a prepaid card to minimize risk, why not?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
How can you possibly know that? Given that there has been nothing official released, you could be right. But Google us due to release a new Nexus, so why can't this one be it. If there had been an official release I apologize, please post a link to it. I need to what I am going to do, keep Bionic or return it and wait a bit longer.

I don't know but I am taking an educated guess. I very well could be wrong. The bionic seems like a good device but if it doesn't meet your needs then return it. Is it giving you problems?

I am basing my argument about Verizon never picking up a vanilla device on....
- Verizon passed on the first 2 nexus vanilla devices. Every other carrier didn't
- Verizon doesn't cater to techies like us that are looking for the latest and greatest. Pure vanilla isn't a good marketing point to the general public.
- Verizon makes a lot of money off of selling bloat space to advertisers.
- they are already thinking of changing the name to the Droid prime.
- Verizon makes their own brand of bloat via vcast that accidentally gets people to spend money. They want to keep that on devices.
....but who knows, Verizon could be turning a new leaf. So its just my opinion right now that's all. I don't really have any sources. It could turn out to be everything that everbody wants. And Google could be pushing for Vanilla to compete with the new iPhone. Also bloat is becoming less of any issue with higher performing phones, even though vanilla is that much better. I actually like Sense myself.

Also I dislike Samsung products and like HTC products so I am a little biased. I was very angry at how long it took Samsung to release a froyo update for the fascinate when everyone else received it 8 months earlier. They are crooks in many ways at Samsung.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

You can use NFC indoors too, ya know. Thats like saying it doesn't seem like something you'd want in a phone because it rains where you live. Just keep it in your pocket during inclimate weather.

They have Google NFC online here in D.C. and they're supposedly pushing hard for Google Wallet integration in ICS. I definately want it and would swap out my Thunderbolt immediately for it. It's just my feelings but I think it's going to be a standard method of payment in the near future. The idea of pre-charging a phone with $200 of "walking cash" to use when the moment arises would be cool.

i3izkit12

Reaction score
Sorry. Its just conjecture from me now. I am basing my opinions on having owned a Fascinate, my friend having a Captivate and my cousin having the Charge. All very poor build quality, they scratch like they are made of butter...and good luck if you drop one on the ground from a short distance even with a case.

But my opinion is also based in not having faith in Samsung after the owning a Verizon Samsung device myself. Hopefully the new batch of Verizon Samsungs live up to the European versions.

And I can almost guarantee that Verizons version will not be Vanilla as they were the only carrier to pass on the first 2 vanilla nexus devices. Also they make a lot of money selling bloatware space onto phones, including their vcast garbage. IMO the next Samsung phones we see on Verizon will be Verizons version of the Epic and the Charge 2.

From what I've experienced Samsung phones have excellent build quality. My girlfriends old fascinate (the phone I'm currently using) got run over by a car and besides the slight cracks on the corner of the screen it's perfectly fine. Not a single dead spot on the screen anywhere. She got a new one as well and we both drop our phones on occasion with absolutely no problem. That along with the fact that mine doesn't even have a case on it = excellent build quality. One of my clumsier friends has a charge as well and it's still alive and kicking so yeah...

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does a touch screen phone even work in that kind of weather?

They sell touch screen gloves up here. There is a metallic thread sewn through the pads on the finger tips. I laughed when my wife showed them to me, but by late February I was wishing I had a pair.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

wetwilly1643

Reaction score
I really hope that this is true or even close to being true. I also hope that the phone is as good as it says it is my OG droid is not doing so hot and I'm not settling for less.