Rooting Your Droid 2 Simple And Easy

AngryMob

Reaction score
After looking through countless threads on how to Root my Droid 2 I found that almost all of the threads were either extremely confusing, or didn't work. I spent hours trying to root my phone, with no results. I saw this link online in a google search and followed the simple instructions and my phone was rooted, it was so easy that at first I didn't trust that it had worked. But it has, with no errors. Now we just have to get more ROMS for us Droid 2 users!

Here is the link:
Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

Credit goes to MrKleen for finding this first, I just thought it would be nice to add another thread with an actual way to root the phone easily that WORKS.

OP
A

AngryMob

Reaction score
I'm not sure, I did this a week ago to the day I believe, I would go ahead and give it a try. Just as a guess though I don't see any reason it wouldn't. Hope this helps.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yes I can confirm this method works with the new update.

However, I had to run it 3 times before it finally rooted me successfully. The first 2 times it said root failed, it asked if I wanted to retry, hit "y" and the third time seemed to do it.

Reaction score
Dark Lazer, you've given me hope. I've ran it three times, all of them have failed so i gave up. I'm going to try a few more times now though.

OP
A

AngryMob

Reaction score
I'm sorry it's giving you trouble, I hope it works out for you. What was in the update?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Dark Lazer, you've given me hope. I've ran it three times, all of them have failed so i gave up. I'm going to try a few more times now though.
Hm, did you make sure it was in PC Mode? Did this rooting method look like it was gonna work and failed at the very end? or did it fail as soon as you ran the file?

Reaction score
It said it was going to apply the tears of 1000 unicorns, then it gave me a countdown until it hit 1 second, then it did nothing for EXACTLY 5 minutes each time, and then it said a bunch of writing that i don't remember but that doesn't matter. at the bottom of its little paragraph script thing it said "root failed. try again? y or n"

something along those lines, i don't remember them word for word.

None of this is important though. I used Euophoros's method, it worked finally. I spent...a little over four hours attempting to root my device today, I finally got it. (this wasn't my first time rooting either.) the rageinthecage file kept disappearing, no matter where i placed it. When i extracted the zipe file, and i opened up the folder the ragecage file wouldn't be there but it would be in the zip file. so i tried placing it on my desktop, and it would stay there for about 4 seconds then disappear. If i placed it in the android sdk tools folder, it would stay there for 4 seconds then disappear. If i opened up Computer and clicked on my droid 2 and dropped it on the sdcard, it would disappear within 4 seconds. I was getting SO FRUSTRATED, I attempted downloading the rage file from difference websites, and sources, and links, all kept disappearing. The last thing that worked was I used my phone's web browser to download the root files, the rage file finally did not delete itself. I moved it into the sdcard (it was in a subfolder of the sdcard and i didnt' know if that would mess it up) and attempted euphoros's method and it worked.

Prelude90

Reaction score
with rooting the phone, does it take off all of the verizon stuff. It is for my wife's friends phone. She has the droid 2. I have the eris with the roms they have i am happy with it. I am thinking about going to the droid incredible, but that might be a while later.

Redalert

Reaction score
Dumb question, Of course rooting of one's phone will discard warranties. If say you are rooted and the phone's keyboard or other hardware bricks and the phone needs to be replaced by Verizon under warranty, CAN YOU UN ROOT the PHONE so you can send it in??

Thanks in advance Guys...
Red

Prelude90

Reaction score
i know it voids the warranty. That not what i was asking red. I wanted to know if it takes all the crap off that verizon puts on the phones. that is what i wanted to know.

Redalert

Reaction score
Rooted aswell as answered my own question.. saw the un root bat file.. good work guys

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Redalert

Reaction score
Lude.. that was my own comment about rooting.. your case I have no clue, besides titanium might help you rid that stuff. Im looking into that and saving, moving stuff to my sd...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Prelude90

Reaction score
oh okay i thought you were answering what i said. I was like that is not what i am talking about. LOL anyways. Yeah i just wanted to make sure it took all that crap off the phone.