Rooting the Droid X?

Epell

Reaction score
I'm new to Android... What exactly is the benefit of custom ROMs?
Basically you can try the latest Android OS.
Like there's no Froyo for original Moto Droid, but rooted users can use Froyo already, if they so choose.

Question:
What about the ROM Manager app?
I saw a guy flashing BB ROM into inc with that app on youtube.
Would using that app still require cracking bootloader?
The app description says that it's for root users only, but does not mention bootloader.

link to the app: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.license
and video: [video=youtube;O9hnI2l-JFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9hnI2l-JFk[/video]

edit:
Upon further web search, I found that Droid Incredible is locked but not signed.
Abandoning all hope for custom ROM in Droid X.

Last edited:

ben1284

Reaction score
i was SO pumped about this phone, but motorola could have done a MUCH BETTER job on the home screen widgets..got to play around with one, and was not impressed with them..but still a great phone..hope we see someone be able to crack this thing cause it's definately got "beast" potential

clubtech

Reaction score
i was SO pumped about this phone, but motorola could have done a MUCH BETTER job on the home screen widgets..got to play around with one, and was not impressed with them..but still a great phone..hope we see someone be able to crack this thing cause it's definately got "beast" potential

Launcher Pro and all problems are solved.
The stock launcher is laggy and choppy.

yoyo814

Reaction score

Launcher Pro and all problems are solved.
The stock launcher is laggy and choppy.

+1

I've heard a few lucky people that have it already say that luancher pro works on it, which put me right back into the market of running out and buying one on launch day! I really hope they root it quick so I can atleast get my backups, screenshots, etc...but after froyo is put on it I won't be so dissapointed about not having custom roms. I'm ready for this beast of a phone!

paladin732

Reaction score
Question:

If no custom ROMs can be loaded, can custom kernels be loaded?

I'm wondering because I know under Eclair, to use the wireless tether app a combination of root and a "supported" kernel were both required.

Although, since Froyo has tethering if enabled by the carrier, maybe we only need root to use wireless tether?

sic0048

Reaction score
Question:

If no custom ROMs can be loaded, can custom kernels be loaded?
No. **EDIT - actually it seems that perhaps you could load custom kernels with just root access. **

Although, since Froyo has tethering if enabled by the carrier, maybe we only need root to use wireless tether?
It is likely that only root would be needed to enable wireless tethering.

Last edited:

Epell

Reaction score
it's pretty legit.
birman is trustworthy source, i think.
droid-life also covered it.
droid x is locked and encrypted.

huskur

Reaction score
it's pretty legit.

Doesn't matter....

Anything that is locked....can be unlocked
Anything that is encrypted....can be unencrypted

Just a matter of time.....thats the real question

hendrix

Reaction score
it's pretty legit.

Doesn't matter....

While i agree, if it is truely hardware locked then your average person may not be able to perform what is needed to unlock the phone.

sic0048

Reaction score

While I totally agree with that statement in general terms, I think time is a factor here. With so many good Android phones out there, and more being released all the time, I am afraid that if the phone is not broken relatively quickly after it is released, people will give up on the DX and move to the latest and greatest phone. Personally I think we have a 6mo window to capture the most interest from the hacking community. After that point, resources may start to be shifted away from the DX if it hasn't been totally hacked. Now I am sure there will continue to be interest in the phone from the hacking community even if it isn't totally hacked, but you can imagine that when the dual core and 2ghz phones start coming out, the primary focus will be on those phones. Especially if they are from other manufacturers that don't encrypt their bootloaders like Motorola does.

Darkseider

Reaction score
it's pretty legit.

Doesn't matter....

Tell that to all the poor bastards with Motorola Milestones and Motorola Backflips. The Milestone at least got root and that's it. The Backflip doesn't have squat. If Moto wants to lock it down where you ain't getting in without a key they can do it and they have proven that they can do it well.

rolandct

Reaction score
it's pretty legit.

Doesn't matter....

Tell that to all the poor bastards with Motorola Milestones and Motorola Backflips. The Milestone at least got root and that's it. The Backflip doesn't have squat. If Moto wants to lock it down where you ain't getting in without a key they can do it and they have proven that they can do it well.

Exactly, while anything can be cracked in theory, it might be years and access to software tools or hardware too expensive. Who's going to wait for more than a few months? If this thing isn't rooted by the time the next wave of phone come out in Nov then I would imagine for practical purposes it'll never be unsigned/locked and probably not even even rooted.
I plan on getting one Thurs, but am getting nervous that maybe I should wait.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter....

Exactly, while anything can be cracked in theory, it might be years and access to software tools or hardware too expensive. Who's going to wait for more than a few months? If this thing isn't rooted by the time the next wave of phone come out in Nov then I would imagine for practical purposes it'll never be unsigned/locked and probably not even even rooted.
I plan on getting one Thurs, but am getting nervous that maybe I should wait.

two things are at play here...first ROOT is possible so lets not start that rumor,

Second the bootloader is an issue. i am told without the correct signed files it could brick the DX. Even more interesting were the words " If you have the right SBF then beating the bootloader is possible"

I say to everyone get the device its awesome and beautiful out of the box. Be patient while P3 and others digg in on it. We will keep you posted as we go along in to the project

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's pretty legit.

What is funny is P3 is who they are all quoting or reading and you quote Birdman............. Anyways it is locked down good no doubt. though it isnt over for the hacking community