Rooting the Droid X?

paul89

Reaction score
ya I agree, whats the point of having the HDMI when it is very limited? It would have been awsome to duplicate everything you do on your phone and extend it to a monitor or tv! Oh well! My main concern is that it gets rooted, and we are able to have free wireless tether and overclocking, along with other great apps that need root! I can live without custom roms as long as Motorola keeps this phone up to date with the latest OS to at least Gingerbread!

rolandct

Reaction score
ya I agree, whats the point of having the HDMI when it is very limited? It would have been awsome to duplicate everything you do on your phone and extend it to a monitor or tv! Oh well! My main concern is that it gets rooted, and we are able to have free wireless tether and overclocking, along with other great apps that need root! I can live without custom roms as long as Motorola keeps this phone up to date with the latest OS to at least Gingerbread!

According to this:
Droid X Review - SlashGear
you can watch loaded files via HDMI. However I still rather hear it from more than one source as the manual says only user created content.

Guchi

Reaction score
You can watch anything that doesnt have DRM, so if you rip movies to the right format it should work fine

bobmundo123

Reaction score
soo, i can't wait for the X, The display looks gorgeous.. although for some reason the Rez is lower than the new iphone. I just hop ethe camera is more responsive than the droid, and that the video will use the flash, because it's horrible in the dark.

As far as modding goes,

I'd be happy with wifitethering, and root. I honestly could live without changing the boot animation. But still... would be cool.. apparently they are having problems accessing recovery.. ahk.. idk.. fingers crossed...

currently have droid... hoping to upgrade to DroidX asap... although i thought if it had a slide out keyboard.. its be complete.. and Droid 2 looks like fail.. just saying....

paul89

Reaction score
soo, i can't wait for the X, The display looks gorgeous.. although for some reason the Rez is lower than the new iphone. I just hop ethe camera is more responsive than the droid, and that the video will use the flash, because it's horrible in the dark.

As far as modding goes,

I'd be happy with wifitethering, and root. I honestly could live without changing the boot animation. But still... would be cool.. apparently they are having problems accessing recovery.. ahk.. idk.. fingers crossed...

currently have droid... hoping to upgrade to DroidX asap... although i thought if it had a slide out keyboard.. its be complete.. and Droid 2 looks like fail.. just saying....
Yes the camera is suppose to be the best one on an android device so far. Also yes flash is avalible in video mode.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
As per Birdmann via Twitter the Droid X has the bootloader locked and encrypted. I don't doubt that root will be achieved but having the bootloader encrypted will prevent any custom Rom's...looks like I am on the hunt for a new phone. The Samsung Galaxy phones have already been rooted, unlocked and have custom Rom's so I might be heading that way.

Darkseider

Reaction score
As per Birdmann via Twitter the Droid X has the bootloader locked and encrypted. I don't doubt that root will be achieved but having the bootloader encrypted will prevent any custom Rom's...looks like I am on the hunt for a new phone. The Samsung Galaxy phones have already been rooted, unlocked and have custom Rom's so I might be heading that way.

Well Motorola screwed up as usual. Release one winner, the Droid, and then completely screw up EVERYTHING after it. Hopefully better news for the 2 Ghz beast. Otherwise looks like Motorola at a minimum if not VZW will be a memory come upgrade time.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

What's his name on Twitter?

**Nervermind, found him!

Last edited:

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Stephen Bird (mrweeeedbirdman) on Twitter

Not sounding good.

But read this thread from a week or so ago:

Droid X Rooted already?

Achieving Root is only one part, we need the bootloader to be unlocked for custom Rom's. Since it's been encrypted that might never happen. I would gladly make a good donation to a developer if they unlock this bootloader as I would like to buy the Droid X, but right now I am reading up on the Samsung Galaxy phones.

just4747

Reaction score
Stephen Bird (mrweeeedbirdman) on Twitter

Not sounding good.

But read this thread from a week or so ago:

Droid X Rooted already?

Achieving Root is only one part, we need the bootloader to be unlocked for custom Rom's. Since it's been encrypted that might never happen. I would gladly make a good donation to a developer if they unlock this bootloader as I would like to buy the Droid X, but right now I am reading up on the Samsung Galaxy phones.

LoL I know, not sure why you explained that.
I meant probably no custom roms, but most likely we'll have root.

Epell

Reaction score

Same here.
Samsung Galaxy S phones are fine save for that crippled UI and unreliable OS upgrade promises.
I bet Galaxy S has low quadrant score because of the clunky sammy skin :p
Droid X still got that noise canceling going for it, but otherwise I'm for Galaxy S.

Unless somebody somehow cracks Droid X bootloader, of course. But I doubt it now.

just4747

Reaction score
Tweets between myself and Cyanogen:

@cyanogen Hey, are you guys going to be attempting to root/load custom roms to the X at all? Didn't know if you were going to try X stuff

@guts311 eventually, the DroidX I have right now isn't mine to keep though

@cyanogen Ahh I see. All a matter of getting one to hack away at :p I didn't see any mention of X in your stream, we all hope you guys can!!.

@cyanogen And whats the word so far on encryption and the loader? @mrweeeedbirdman seems to think it's locked down too tight for custom roms

No other replies yet....

macatk89

Reaction score
I'm new to Android... What exactly is the benefit of custom ROMs?