"Rooters" are like drug users...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would not go as far as to compare to "drug users"...I mean come on, really?

There is an addictive element involved, no doubt. Hacking/rooting/optimizing the phone is awesome.

Someone asked me "how do you like your Droid" and then looked at mine (he had one too) then he says "wow.. how did you set yours up like that?"

Trust me. Once you start playing with things and setting things up the way you like, its pretty addiciting. I always look in the hacks section for new stuff.

Its like crack. :)

-Wil

I know all about rooting and modifying...Im running Bugless Beauty, overclocked to 1.1GHz, etc., etc.... but its not like getting high...at all...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There is an addictive element involved, no doubt. Hacking/rooting/optimizing the phone is awesome.

Someone asked me "how do you like your Droid" and then looked at mine (he had one too) then he says "wow.. how did you set yours up like that?"

Trust me. Once you start playing with things and setting things up the way you like, its pretty addiciting. I always look in the hacks section for new stuff.

Its like crack. :)

-Wil

S***, half the reason I haven't rooted yet is simply because I'm addicted to finding all of the things that I'd like to do [even if I don't know it yet] WITHOUT rooting first.

Plus, I like to be up-to-date, and knowing my luck, I'll root and then 2.1 will magically come out and I'll have to wait for someone to find a loophole to gain root access again and will likely get distracted again with new apps that utilize 2.1. [I've spoken with some devs that have some ideas for 2.1 that I'm really interested in, and I'm sure there are more out there with great ideas]

gentlefury

Reaction score
I'm not saying that there aren't positives to rooting the phone at all. Some people are just able to be happy with things the way they are.

Well, I have never been one to accept anything the way it is. I always strive to make everything I purchase (computer electronics that is) better and more suited to my needs.

I cracked the hell out of my last GPS and had multiple GPS programs installed and even had opera installed and figured out a way to get online using my phones bluetooth connection.

You should never just accept anything for "what it is"

If it can be made better, DO IT!

Once the iPad is jailbroken and someone figures out how to put a real OS on it I will consider grabbing one of those too!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't have a computer but I would like to root my phone. Is there a way?

Haha! I'm sure you'll get an answer either way, but THIS is the thread you picked to ask this question in...? :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, I have never been one to accept anything the way it is. I always strive to make everything I purchase (computer electronics that is) better and more suited to my needs.

I cracked the hell out of my last GPS and had multiple GPS programs installed and even had opera installed and figured out a way to get online using my phones bluetooth connection.

Once the iPad is jailbroken and someone figures out how to put a real OS on it I will consider grabbing one of those too!

Once again...I'm not saying people shouldn't root. The whole point of this thread is to express the fact that people's opinions vary and what's good for you may not be good for someone who can barely check their e-mail...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been addicted to a lot of stuff thru the years: fast cars, faster motorcycles, fast bass boats, fast women (well this one should have been first), fast computers, fast fly rods (starting to see a pattern?) and now fast phones. You're not saying there's anything wrong with this are you? :icon_ banana:

My moto has always been, "anything worth doing is worth over doing".

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it was boredom for me. it got to me. i haven't really done anything with it since i rooted mine, i just did it to say i did. i saw a really easy "how-to" and wanted to see how long it would take me.. (3 min, by the way..)

modified

Reaction score
Not to be offending...but i do not see the connection.

Then again, i was never good at juxtaposition.

gentlefury

Reaction score

Once again...I'm not saying people shouldn't root. The whole point of this thread is to express the fact that people's opinions vary and what's good for you may not be good for someone who can barely check their e-mail...

Well like i said, some people can accept things for what they are, some people only want to achieve the full potential of what they have. Some people are more than happy to stock shelves at wal-mart their whole lives, while others pursue careers. I've always been the one pursuing more and more, I have my dream job and I am STILL trying to make that better too!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've been addicted to a lot of stuff thru the years: fast cars, faster motorcycles, fast bass boats, fast women (well this one should have been first), fast computers, fast fly rods (starting to see a pattern?) and now fast phones. You're not saying there's anything wrong with this are you? :icon_ banana:

My moto has always been, "anything worth doing is worth over doing".

Not at all. My complaint is not with rooting or people who root their phones or hacking anything or trying to make the phone better suited to your needs.

My complaint is with people who've done it and try to convince EVERYONE else to do it.

YES, it does offer VERY enhanced customization and options.

But NO, I don't think it's for everyone.

There are enough threads on here about rooting and the benefits and what people have done that you don't have to go around suggesting to everyone who posts an issue that they root their phone.

I hadn't had this phone for a week before I had my first encounter with the concept of rooting and read up on it.

If someone wants to do it, they will. There are also plenty of posts explaining that.

If they're not sure, then they really probably don't NEED to do it to be happy with the phone's capabilities.

I still may root MY phone. I really don't have a problem with it coming from the G1 that I thought would be more like the Droid stock, and taking a detour to an LG Triton that was a big steaming pile of s*** compared to an Android phone.

That doesn't mean I'd suggest it for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that I see post a tiny little issue on this forum.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

What connection? To drug-use. It's an attention-grabber.

This entire thread started by me b****ing about people trying to push what works for them on others.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
it was boredom for me. it got to me. i haven't really done anything with it since i rooted mine, i just did it to say i did. i saw a really easy "how-to" and wanted to see how long it would take me.. (3 min, by the way..)

Same here, was trying to wait till 2.1 but the h3ll with it... www.rootyourdroid.com takes all of 3 mins and it's already allowed me to address several of my annoyances with the stock ROM. Next comes overclocking (only because my old WM phone could switch between screens and load menus with NO lag so wtf can't the Droid... )

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

What connection? To drug-use. It's an attention-grabber.

This entire thread started by me b****ing about people trying to push what works for them on others.

it really stems from all the countless threads like "should i root my phone?" or "how do i root my phone" or how do i install 2.1 on my phone" or "what are the benefits of root"... and us rooters will give our opinion of how great/easy it is... nothing more to it