Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You're missing the point entirely.

I love how most of you are here just to defend rooting.
I have no problem with rooting.
I do, however, have a problem with people pushing their ideas on other people.

Maybe, instead of drug users, I should've used Jehovah's Witnesses as the analogy...[No offense meant to the Jehovahs]:icon_ devil:

"Rooters are like Bible Thumpers" [Better title...?]

wil318466

Reaction score
I've been addicted to a lot of stuff thru the years: fast cars, faster motorcycles, fast bass boats, fast women (well this one should have been first), fast computers, fast fly rods (starting to see a pattern?) and now fast phones. You're not saying there's anything wrong with this are you? :icon_ banana:

My moto has always been, "anything worth doing is worth over doing".

Not at all. My complaint is not with rooting or people who root their phones or hacking anything or trying to make the phone better suited to your needs.

My complaint is with people who've done it and try to convince EVERYONE else to do it.

YES, it does offer VERY enhanced customization and options.

But NO, I don't think it's for everyone.

There are enough threads on here about rooting and the benefits and what people have done that you don't have to go around suggesting to everyone who posts an issue that they root their phone.

I hadn't had this phone for a week before I had my first encounter with the concept of rooting and read up on it.

If someone wants to do it, they will. There are also plenty of posts explaining that.

If they're not sure, then they really probably don't NEED to do it to be happy with the phone's capabilities.

I still may root MY phone. I really don't have a problem with it coming from the G1 that I thought would be more like the Droid stock, and taking a detour to an LG Triton that was a big steaming pile of s*** compared to an Android phone.

That doesn't mean I'd suggest it for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that I see post a tiny little issue on this forum.

I take this response to heart. I wrote a post that had a lot of discussion about whether to root or not.

I understand where you are coming from, but the intention of what I was saying was "dont' be scared to try it".

There are MULTIPLE posts about people warning about rooting and overclocking their phones. People are posting things about damaging elecetronics due to overheating, etc etc etc.

The reason I posted that was because those posts cause FEAR. People are SCARED to root, and thats obvious because you can see the massive amount of posts of people saying "I want to, but...." and then they give a reason out of fear.

If people are going to post about the dangers of rooting or overclocking who have never tried it, I feel I should argue the other side, since I AM a noob, and I struggled with it immensely, and I still got it to work rock solid, even AFTER screwing it up 3 times.

The point is : don't be scared. You can get back to the stock setting. If you don't want to do it, then don't. But if you are offended by someone saying it is not a scary or unrecoverable process, well... whatever.

-Wil

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how most of you are here just to defend rooting.
I have no problem with rooting.
I do, however, have a problem with people pushing their ideas on other people.

Maybe, instead of drug users, I should've used Jehovah's Witnesses as the analogy...[No offense meant to the Jehovahs]:icon_ devil:

"Rooters are like Bible Thumpers" [Better title...?]

rooting is a gateway drug. soon you'll be doing custom roms and wifi tethering... and if you really start losing control, you could become addicted to *gasp* overclocking and removing system apps

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I take this response to heart. I wrote a post that had a lot of discussion about whether to root or not.

I understand where you are coming from, but the intention of what I was saying was "dont' be scared to try it".

There are MULTIPLE posts about people warning about rooting and overclocking their phones. People are posting things about damaging elecetronics due to overheating, etc etc etc.

The reason I posted that was because those posts cause FEAR. People are SCARED to root, and thats obvious because you can see the massive amount of posts of people saying "I want to, but...." and then they give a reason out of fear.

If people are going to post about the dangers of rooting or overclocking who have never tried it, I feel I should argue the other side, since I AM a noob, and I struggled with it immensely, and I still got it to work rock solid, even AFTER screwing it up 3 times.

The point is : don't be scared. You can get back to the stock setting. If you don't want to do it, then don't. But if you are offended by someone saying it is not a scary or unrecoverable process, well... whatever.

-Wil

Not directed at you then.
Haha! Ok, completely over-generalizing here and don't really mean to lump ALL people who've rooted their phones together
I'm not talking about people voting yes in a "should I" thread. I'm talking about people who come into a thread that has nothing to do with rooting and suggest it...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll root my phone RIGHT NOW if it'll make you guys feel better.

My issue is with people pushing the concept/idea/process/whatever you want to call it into threads it doesn't belong in.

Yes you CAN do it, but someone who's never had a smartphone before doesn't need to root it to be blown away by what it already does. That's all I'm saying.

I'm just saying that it shouldn't be suggested in random threads having nothing to do with it when there are already PLENTY of threads about it.

If you've suggested it where someone asked about it, thank you for offering your opinion.

wil318466

Reaction score

-Wil

Not directed at you then.
Haha! Ok, completely over-generalizing here and don't really mean to lump ALL people who've rooted their phones together
I'm not talking about people voting yes in a "should I" thread. I'm talking about people who come into a thread that has nothing to do with rooting and suggest it...

I think maybe the intentions are misconstrued here. These forums are about as noob-friendly and helpful as any forums I've seen.

I think people are just excited to pass along happy experiences with their Droids to other Droid users. I don't think any of them mean any offense, or are even trying to get others to "do what they do".

The Droid really is an amazing device. It can do a ton of stuff, and it can even do more, if you...

well, you get the idea. lol

-Wil

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha! Understandable, but stop and think for a minute...You've been in the forum. You've seen post titles. You know how often the words root, rooted, rooting are listed in titles. Does it REALLY have to be in EVERY thread?

There's a reason I put the :soapbox: at the bottom of my original post. All of you who've taken offense to this have obviously taken my rant WAY too seriously. I can't really apologize for it, because it's entertained me, and this is the longest thread that I've started on DF now because of it.:icon_ devil:

I haven't created many, but it seems like I've found a soft-spot...:):icon_ banana:

dafischman

Reaction score
Could you give an example of a situation where someone suggested rooting when it had nothing to do with the original post? I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't seen it yet.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Could you give an example of a situation where someone suggested rooting when it had nothing to do with the original post? I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't seen it yet.

All of my attention has been drawn here, and I can't remember what the post was about that got me started on the topic, but I'm sure I could bring up any number of posts and you could argue how rooting is relevant, especially since those of you who've rooted know more about it's possibilities than I do.

When it all boils down to it, this was really just me b****ing. Didn't think it'd get NEAR the response it did...Haha!

And the more we talk about it, the more I'm thinking maybe I'll play around with root access...Any suggestions where to start? Hahahahaha!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

All of my attention has been drawn here, and I can't remember what the post was about that got me started on the topic, but I'm sure I could bring up any number of posts and you could argue how rooting is relevant, especially since those of you who've rooted know more about it's possibilities than I do.

When it all boils down to it, this was really just me b****ing. Didn't think it'd get NEAR the response it did...Haha!

And the more we talk about it, the more I'm thinking maybe I'll play around with root access...Any suggestions where to start? Hahahahaha!

you must install SPrecovery first. no ifs, ands, or buts.

SPRecovery 0.99.2b | Sholes

gentlefury

Reaction score
well im gonna go smoke some crystal meth and hack my microwave to play pandora.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Ok, but, here's my issue...I figure [unless I setup something I just CAN'T live without] I'd like to go ahead and return to the stock when 2.1 comes out and wait for a new root access plan. I'm sure I may change my mind, but how hard is it to disable the Block update.zip installation if I decide to do so? [If I don't get too many goodies setup after rooting, I figure it can't hurt anything to use the "official" software as my base of operations]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ok, but, here's my issue...I figure [unless I setup something I just CAN'T live without] I'd like to go ahead and return to the stock when 2.1 comes out and wait for a new root access plan. I'm sure I may change my mind, but how hard is it to disable the Block update.zip installation if I decide to do so? [If I don't get too many goodies setup after rooting, I figure it can't hurt anything to use the "official" software as my base of operations]

the newest SPRecovery blocks OTA updates by default. (blocks all update.zip's, actually). in order to revert from 2.0.1 rooted with custom rom to 2.1 stock no root, you need to follow the tutorial on this site, i never used it though, so i cannot vouch for it

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Do you realize how entertaining this thread has been. You start a thread about people (like me) inserting root issues into non-root issue threads and now you are being talked into rooting on that same thread??? I was really surprised when folks started taking this thread seriously, but we are now into a whole new realm of irony the likes of which I've never seen. Thanks young Jon for the grins. :)