Should I Root?

Yodes

Reaction score
Ok now before people say if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it anyways, I already am quite familiar with Unix and ADB, etc.

Anyways, I have foregone rooting my Droid because I have been quite content with it in its current state. I know a few of the benefits I can obtain through rooting such as custom ROMs, enabling pinch zoom, etc., however I still am unsure if I want to go through the trouble.

I want the opinion of those who have rooted and why they couldn't live without there root, is there a certain root app that is just a MUST have? Is there some special added benefit that I haven't come across?

I'd also like to here from those who rooted and then chose to unroot back to 2.0.1 and WHY you chose to go back to an unrooted state.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
You will probably get more replies in the Hacks section. I have read through most of those and have not found any reason to root. I added the 2.1 Gallery and Clock apps, but shortly thereafter deleted them. The only thing I am looking forward to is the 5 home screens, but even that does not seem too exciting. I am more than happy with the Droid the way it is.

Guurzak

Reaction score
I'm quite technically competent to root, but I see no need to bother. Almost anything I would want to do with root is available through regular apps or will be coming in an update soon anyway. The only thing that really tempts me is the ability to make Mobile Defender (security app, remote locate/lock) completely invisible and uninstallable.

NYZ93

Reaction score
I want to also but i decided to wait for there to be a root after the 2.1 upgrade

i heard people go back to 2.0.1 because 2.1 (unofficial version) is real laggy

and since i want 2.1 ima wait till the official 2.1 gets released
so that can be the platform for the new root

just my opinion though:)

OP
Yodes

Yodes

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I didn't even think to post this in the hacks section. I guess all of you are reconfirming what I was already thinking in that its not necessary at this point. I'll go ahead and repost this in the hacks section to see what I can get from there.

If a mod wants to delete or lock this please feel free I've obtained what I needed.

djrakun

Reaction score
I haven't rooted my Droid yet because I haven't seen a straight answer on how 'safe' it is to give the phone superuser permissions. I've seen some cool apps that can do a whole lot to the phone just by sending text messages to it, like enable/disable hardware, delete contacts, etc. AFAIK, rooting allows you to be root with no password. What is the possiblity that someone could gain access to your phone and corrupt system files, steal your information, brick your phone?

whenever someone asks how safe it is to root they are answered with how safe the rooting process is, not if your security is compromised afterwards. Until I see a post that makes me confident that it is not a concern, I'm waiting for the 2.1 OTA update.

SuGaR

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to do with your phone. I was unrooted until the past few days but I decided to try putting a ROM on my phone, so I had to root in the process. After doing it, I wouldn't have this phone any other way. So basically you just need to ask yourself if you are happy with your phone the way it is, or want to do a little hacking.

bhawks

Reaction score
I would recommend it. A week ago I knew nothing of rooting or any of that, but just by reading up a bit and with all the great info, its really a lot easier than it sounds. Personally what I like about it is how developers will continue to improve their custom roms and all you got to do is stay updated. This will allow you to use the full potential of your phone and its real easy.

The fact that I can wireless tether and become a wireless hotspot for others to connnect to alone makes it worthwhile. This has potential to be very useful in certain situations

let alone the overclocking, pinch to zoom, and millions of other features I would say go ahead and do it. I got tired of waiting for the 2.1 update haha

M

Matth3w

What is the possiblity that someone could gain access to your phone and corrupt system files, steal your information, brick your phone?
Are you talking about just to be malicious, in terms of corrupting system files and bricking? If so, it is the same chance that someone could grab your phone and just throw it against a wall, which would be much easier. If I wanted to **** with your phone just to be an asshole and ruin it, I could much more easily just take it and throw it on the floor or run it over with my car.

If you are talking about stealing data for financial gain or something, the rooting has nothing to do with it. You can encrypt your data and whatnot via 3rd party programs, but they are going to be no less or more vulnerable to steal while rooted.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
That^^.

Not only that, even a rooted phone requires apps to be given su permissions. Don't recognize the request?

Deny it.