Root Problems

jive495

Reaction score
Ok, first off, Ill start by saying I know there are many, many root problem threads, I know Ive read most of them. I have not found any similar to mine or with any kind of answer that has helped me. Posting was my last resort but Im at my wits end here.

Im, admittedly a newb to rooting as the Droid is my first "smart phone". I only rooted to manually install the 2.1 update early, that update and the Swype beta .apk are the only root programs Ive installed, no probs. After looking around at all the cool custom roms I decided I wanted to try and install one. I downloaded rootdroidpro as the guide suggested and tried to install busybox with no luck. I tried dozens of times with the program and manually installing with a file off the net, no luck. So I figured I jacked something up and was trying to unroot to factory default so I could reroot, again no luck (meaning it wouldnt let me unroot). In my recovery screen I keep getting the message "E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted". Ive tried literally dozens of guides and files all of which resulting in the same result. Im getting permission denied in my terminal emulator even though I know Im rooted. To top it all off, I cant create a backup of any kind.

Im not sure what I did or what to do at this point but any help/advice will be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Re: Root Problem

What are you options in recovery?
If you loaded the 2.1 update without sprecovery in it you lost root right there. The original manual 2.1 wasn't rooted and is not rootable. So unless you installed one of the 2.1's done by Pete or someone else you lost root access when you updated.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

jive495

Reaction score
reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

When I click "apply sdcard:update. zip" it starts doing stuff like its going to work and then thats when I get the "E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted". Also at the bottom of the screen before I click anything it says "E:Cant open /cache/recovery/command", not sure what that means or if thats whats causing my prob but I figured its worth mentioning.

OP
J

jive495

Reaction score
I downloaded and tried installing the official 2.1 update in your signature but that didnt work either. It gave me "E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD"

Do I have to unroot my current 2.1 rom to install a new one?

OP
J

jive495

Reaction score
I just tried using RSDLite ver 4.6 and it wouldnt recognize my phone. I have all the correct and current drivers installed and I have the .sbf file for 2.0.1, Im running the program as an administrator but the program wont recognize my phone.

Sorry for the triple post but Im extremely frustrated and I really need some help.

Droidee

Reaction score
I could really use the rescue squad right now. I had root access on my first droid and know I can't live without it. Unfortunately, getting root access on 2.1 stock after needing a replacement phone is driving me nuts. I have a mac. I ran rsd lite and got sprecovery, when I tried to load the ESE81 I get the below result:

Error in /sdcard/update.zip Installation aborted
Cant open /cache/recovery/command

I have tried so many times that it is insane. On top of all of this I had to install VMware to get access to windows. Not fair I want my rooted phone again. Please help.

I will gladly give someone from the rescue squad a donation and access to my mac if they could help me with this. PM me if that is possible. Thanks

Last edited:

JCo352

Reaction score
I just tried using RSDLite ver 4.6 and it wouldnt recognize my phone. I have all the correct and current drivers installed and I have the .sbf file for 2.0.1, Im running the program as an administrator but the program wont recognize my phone.

Sorry for the triple post but Im extremely frustrated and I really need some help.

I just helped someone today with this, go to "Config" (top left corner of RSD), then go to "DeviceID Options", then check "First-come-first-serve DeviceID Mode"

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you successfully rooted, installed SPRecovery and now want to install a rom. What I'm not clear on is what rom you attempted to load via the update.zip.

Perhaps I'm wrong but the ESE81 is not a complete rom. Are you trying to install BB?

Mike

JCo352

Reaction score
I could really use the rescue squad right now. I had root access on my first droid and know I can't live without it but getting root on this one is driving me nuts. I have a mac. I ran rsd lite and got sprecovery, when I tried to load the ESE81 but I get one or the other of the below result:

Error in /sdcard/update.zip Installation aborted
Cant open /cache/recovery/command

I will gladly give someone from the rescue squad a donation and access to my mac if they could help me with this. PM me if that is possible. Thanks

Are you making sure it is "update.zip" and not "update.zip.zip"?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just helped someone today with this, go to "Config" (top left corner of RSD), then go to "DeviceID Options", then check "First-come-first-serve DeviceID Mode"

Thanks, JCo. I've not used RSD so I have very limited expertise to share.

Mike