Root or Not to Root that is the question

fishacura

Reaction score
Well I gound a video that might help a little. All you have to do is find where your zip download is then put it on the root of your sd card(if you download the rom zip on your computer then plug your phone into your computer and put your phone in mass storage. Open up my computer and you will see two storage devices, one is the phone storage and the other is the sd card. When you find out which one is the sd card just drag the rom zip right on to the drive. You don't even need to open the drive just drag it right to it and that will put it on the root. If you can't find out which one is the sd card just copy it to each drive, it wont hurt anything.)
then instead of shutting off your phone to get to clockwork mod recovery just open up the bootstrap app and first click the top button (install recovery or something like that) then click boot in recovery. After that just follow the video exactly how he does it but look for your zip instead of what he is looking for. But that's is all you have to do. If you have any questions just ask or pm me. Here is the link YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Very helpful thanks! Looksl like he does it manually versus using bootstrap. I may actually try this :)!

Reaction score
@scott240 it is possible to brick it but very hard. but somehow i managed to do it my first itme. i got stuck in an infinite boot. went to verizon, told them it randomly statred doing that. THis was when i had a droid x2. then i told them i didnt want the droid x2 anymore cus it kept giving me problems and they gave me a free droid 3. i bricked that one while rooting and they gave me another droid 3. but to let you guys know, they bricked because i didnt follow directions, not because there was anything hard about it

How did you manage to screw up three phones in a row not following directions?

".....I....Just....Cant....errrrrrr I HAVE TO PLAY WITH IT NOW I HAVE TO SHOW SOMEBODY NOW I HAVE TO[unplug] Oops...........":icon_eek:

I think if this ^^ guy can do it my mom can do it, and if my mom can do it, my cat can do it on accident.

P.S. Your bound to run into problems with your phone whether its rooted or not, my opinion is that if your phone is rooted and you KNOW what you did to it, then you can take steps backwards to fix it. With the above example you lose everything you had and have to start over from scratch - not fun. I was having a problem with my phone last night and i ended up having to reset it, but because of my interest in rooting and rom and all the help these forums amongst others (android police, android central etc.) have provided me with, I was confident that i could fix the problem on my own and get my phone back to the way it was. took me about an hour this time, ran into a few first time snags, but with an entire internet full of knowledge and a cautious approach, reading into everything you can and digesting knowledge and other user errors constantly, theres virtually nothing you can't do with these smart-a$$ phones. I'm lovin mine, and I will never have another phone NOT rooted - the plusses are simply too great to even SEE the minuses.

hope this helps

fishacura

Reaction score
I am going to at least do the one click this weekend but may go as far as the Steel ROM. A couple last minute questions:

1. For one-click, I know the phone should be in charge only mode when you connect the USB. What about when you're doing the rom install? Should it also be in charge only mode?

2. What happened next time there is an OTA download of some new version of something? Will I get it or not and if the answer is no, does it really matter?

3. After the phone is rooted the Steel-rom procedures say "Once rooted, use Koush's Droid 3 Bootstrap app to install CWM Recovery" This seems like a short description for using the boostrap app to install some sort of recovery software with which I am not really familiar. Is there a more detailed procedure for this? Will bootstrap simply walk me through it?

4. Will it still be possible to get back to original Verizon factory settings if I have the need to do so?

THANKS to all particularly the one or two of you who have really put up with me

Last edited:

fishacura

Reaction score
I'm waiting for an expert to chime in but as near as I can tell:

Bootstrap and Clockwork are apps you need to get to manage roms and recovery...Just not sure of the details behind that process.

shane1

Reaction score
I am going to at least do the one click this weekend but may go as far as the Steel ROM. A couple last minute questions:

1. For one-click, I know the phone should be in charge only mode when you connect the USB. What about when you're doing the rom install? Should it also be in charge only mode?
I believe mass storage, but I find it easier to download straight to phone and install through cwm
2. What happened next time there is an OTA download of some new version of something? Will I get it or not and if the answer is no, does it really matter? No you won't get the official update ,but the developers usually have them in their roms before verizon puts them out

3. After the phone is rooted the Steel-rom procedures say "Once rooted, use Koush's Droid 3 Bootstrap app to install CWM Recovery" This seems like a short description for using the boostrap app to install some sort of recovery software with which I am not really familiar. Is there a more detailed procedure for this? Will bootstrap simply walk me through it?
Its the recovery that allows you to flash roms for more details there are threads on that either here or xda but you should be ablle to figure it out
4. Will it still be possible to get back to original Verizon factory settings if I have the need to do so?
Make a back up through cwm then if needed you would restore the back up,and you would unroot or just use rsd to go back to stock w/out root
THANKS to all particularly the one or two of you who have really put up with me

Hope this helps if not keep looking all the answers are somewhere on these forumns ;)

Last edited:

fishacura

Reaction score
I'm looking..I've been over to droid-life and xda and trying to piece it together. It's just I want to be very careful and do everything in the right order. I'm okay with root at this point. It's clockwork and bootstrap that have me confused as far as which to run/install first. I think once I get over that I get how to flash the new rom....

shane1

Reaction score
Well you want hash codes version of bootstrap I believe,this way you can get into recovery from the powered off state, and you need bootstrap to access recovery

WhatiPhone

Reaction score
Do you get hashcodes bootstrap version on the market or do you get it off of his blog (saw the link his blog on here somewhere)?

shane1

Reaction score
Hashcode modified koush's so you can access when the phone is off