Root or Not to Root that is the question

svickstc

Reaction score
I was on the bubble about rooting my first android phone (droid 3) coming form the iPhone platform..but will all the little issues my D3 was having on the stock ROM, before i swapped out at verizon i decided to give Steel Droid a try. Although it still has it quirks, it runs much smoother, faster, and privileges of root make it that much better...

Chevy did a good job and looking forward to seeing Steel Droid v. 3.0 and possibly other roms for other dev's

fishacura

Reaction score
Here's a good example of why it's complex for noobs like me. I have heard over and over you cannot ROM unless you first root. But when I read the instructions for the steel ROM it has "root the phone" as like the 10th step along the way. Very confusing. I have really been scouring the net to try to find an easy a-z root/steel rom procedure but it's pretty tough. Maybe I'll check youtube to see if anyone has videoed the process...that would probably be the best help.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The first 7 steps look to be preparatory. You're just downloading stuff and getting it ready to place on the phone. The rooting process appears to be the one-step. If you are already rooted you can probably do the first seven steps to prep and then skip to 12.

fishacura

Reaction score
Yeah it seems that way. I'm still going to wait for a video or better procedure. There are details that I would like to see called out. For example:

1. When rooting it specifically says to put your phone in a certain USB mode but this doesn't really call that out
2. It references Koush's bootstrap but need a link to ensure I get the right one

Little things that probably make peopole roll their eyes on this forum but for a noob like me they're important given I am locked into this phone for 2 years lol! But hey, I am very grateful people even bother to read let alone respond to my posts as I am sure I am aggravating. All I can say is I "give back" to other communities where I am an expert but started as a noob and hope to do the same one day out here :)

scott240

Reaction score
Here's a good example of why it's complex for noobs like me. I have heard over and over you cannot ROM unless you first root. But when I read the instructions for the steel ROM it has "root the phone" as like the 10th step along the way. Very confusing. I have really been scouring the net to try to find an easy a-z root/steel rom procedure but it's pretty tough. Maybe I'll check youtube to see if anyone has videoed the process...that would probably be the best help.

I used oneclick root to root my phone and I think its got to be one of if not the easiest way to root. Just search for "oneclick root droid 3" in youtube and there should be some videos showing how easy it is. It doesn't matter what meathod you use just as long as you root your phone, then go to the market and download droid 3 bootstrap after you root your phone. After that you can put any droid 3 rom on by using the bootstrap app to get you into recovery mode to in stall the zip (rom).

fishacura

Reaction score
@scott I am with you on rooting. Seems easy and just haven't done it yet. I am even with you on the boostrap. Seems easy to download and use. Where I get stuck is some of the last steps with moving around zip files and the like....just a bit confusing and I'd like to see either a more detailed procedure on youtube vid. I found some vids of the onestep root and that looks very easy. But have not found a vid of everything that happens after that. Still doing some homework...Hopefully I'll find something that makes me comfortable because honestly the Verizon version is a dog sometimes!!!

OP
Siouxsie

Siouxsie

Reaction score
...............want to try the fm hack you can always pm me and I will help or call you and talk you through it.
I have FM Radio on right now, will I have to redo that after rooting?

scott240

Reaction score
I have FM Radio on right now, will I have to redo that after rooting?

I did not have to do it again. I just had to do it a second time because I got a replacement phone after my phone blew up on the highway after flying off my hood, oops

scott240

Reaction score
@scott I am with you on rooting. Seems easy and just haven't done it yet. I am even with you on the boostrap. Seems easy to download and use. Where I get stuck is some of the last steps with moving around zip files and the like....just a bit confusing and I'd like to see either a more detailed procedure on youtube vid. I found some vids of the onestep root and that looks very easy. But have not found a vid of everything that happens after that. Still doing some homework...Hopefully I'll find something that makes me comfortable because honestly the Verizon version is a dog sometimes!!!

Well I gound a video that might help a little. All you have to do is find where your zip download is then put it on the root of your sd card(if you download the rom zip on your computer then plug your phone into your computer and put your phone in mass storage. Open up my computer and you will see two storage devices, one is the phone storage and the other is the sd card. When you find out which one is the sd card just drag the rom zip right on to the drive. You don't even need to open the drive just drag it right to it and that will put it on the root. If you can't find out which one is the sd card just copy it to each drive, it wont hurt anything.)
then instead of shutting off your phone to get to clockwork mod recovery just open up the bootstrap app and first click the top button (install recovery or something like that) then click boot in recovery. After that just follow the video exactly how he does it but look for your zip instead of what he is looking for. But that's is all you have to do. If you have any questions just ask or pm me. Here is the link YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Last edited:
OP
Siouxsie

Siouxsie

Reaction score
dancedroidHappy Dance. I rooted and it was sooooooooo easy with One-Click Root. HUGE thank you to Dan Rosenberg and Pete Souza!!!!
Froze all the garbage and will now go off to happily peruse MY phone.
And thanks to all here, wouldna have tried without your encouragement and hand-holding.:yr1:

scott240

Reaction score
dancedroidHappy Dance. I rooted and it was sooooooooo easy with One-Click Root. HUGE thank you to Dan Rosenberg and Pete Souza!!!!
Froze all the garbage and will now go off to happily peruse MY phone.
And thanks to all here, wouldna have tried without your encouragement and hand-holding.:yr1:

See its not as bad as it seems. At first its scary because you might not understand everything but now you should be a pro since its pretty much the same process for any android phone the only difference is how you get to recovery mode but once there its the same