Rooting (I understand at this point it is cliche subject)

smadaus

Reaction score
Ok I tried using this app that I needed to "root" my phone for, so I looked it up and read so much on it and I am still just a little bit lost. I bought my moto droid in January under a new 2 year agreement, I am not too tech savvy but sort of and willing to learn. I love getting new things but don't really like taking a gamble on making something better if I have a chance of damaging it, after all it is like $500 to replace. I guess my first question is is it worth it for someone like me to "root" my phone? My second question is, are the apps the same, can I get all the same apps back? My third question is, if I were to root my phone, after backing it up, will my apps be backed up as well? Question 4, can I unroot my phone at anytime and have it be like I never did it in the first place, and go back to using the android 2.0.1 OS? My last question is if I decided to root my phone is the warranty void forever? If you are familiar with the xbox 360, then you know if you mod the system and break the seal your warranty is void. Also I was told they ship it back in pieces if you mod it and send it in to be repaired. So I understand the warranty is void while your phone is rooted but when unrooted and put back to the regular OS and setting is it still void?

Thanks and sorry for a cliche topic, I just wanted some specific questions answered. Hope someone can help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess my first question is is it worth it for someone like me to "root" my phone?
Impossible to say. You have to make the call. There's nothing in your post that would put you squarely in one camp or the other IMO.

My last question is if I decided to root my phone is the warranty void forever?
Only if you hand it over rooted. You can go back to stock.

For you other question, I suggest looking for a rooting guide and reading through it.

Eddiejt

Reaction score
YEs you can go back to stock as if you never rooted. But you must download the original SBF file. Doing a factory reset from your phone will not work. Think of it like this. if you root your phone and go to 2.2, then you have to UNROOT using the same steps with 2.0/1.