Quick questions about/before rooting

Reaction score
1. Ok so a lot of people talk about how you void the warranty if you root and I assume by this you mean the manufacturers warranty. My question is what if you have a protection plan from verizon or where ever, is it possible to hide the root by getting rid of it. Will they know u have rooted it at some point?

2. Is there a program from moto that can reset your phone back to factory settings? I know that the Blackberrys have one. How would I do this if there is not.

3. What way would you suggest to root my Droid 2: Windows, Ubuntu, or using z4root. I have access to both op systems from home.

Thank you everyone in advanced!

P.S: I appologize in advance if all these questions are answered somewhere else in the forum.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Ok so a lot of people talk about how you void the warranty if you root and I assume by this you mean the manufacturers warranty. My question is what if you have a protection plan from verizon or where ever, is it possible to hide the root by getting rid of it. Will they know u have rooted it at some point?

2. Is there a program from moto that can reset your phone back to factory settings? I know that the Blackberrys have one. How would I do this if there is not.

3. What way would you suggest to root my Droid 2: Windows, Ubuntu, or using z4root. I have access to both op systems from home.

Thank you everyone in advanced!

P.S: I appologize in advance if all these questions are answered somewhere else in the forum.

Rooting will violate your warranty but you can always unroot if you have to return the phone for any reason. There is a recovery program called rsd lite which you will use to flash a recovery image on your phone if it gets really hosed. The easiest way is going to be z4root.

tappin and a talkin

OP
C
Reaction score
I got my droid from best buy because imo they have a great protection plan and I have horrible luck with phones.

So to my understanding I should just use z4root to unroot if I need to go see the sometimes nice people at best buy?

Does rsd lite need to be installed before hand?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rsd lite is simply a recovery program you instal on your PC and you don't necessarily need to instal it until you need to recover your phone although it would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with it so that when you have to use it you aren't totally lost. Koush's bootstrap app that gives you a custom rom on the phone that you would us to flash custom roms and themes and such. You can worry about all that stuff after you root.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And if you need z4root, let me know and I'll send it to you :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

jkm3141

Reaction score
What if your phones USB port does not work, and everytime, whether your in the phones stock 2.0.1 rom, rooted rom, spfrecovery, or recovery mode the phone is recongnised as invalid usb device and wont work, meaning RSD isnt able to flash over spf recovery. my friends phone had something heavy dropped on it by accident and the screen cracked slightly. it recently got worse and now the usb port isn't recongising by any computer and spfrecovery is still installed but its a factory rom. What would you recommend to get the factory insurance that would cover it if RSDlite could flash it back to stock. it was a insurance covered accident.

John