[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

N

nxmehta

sbf_flash doesn't work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box. It "error 16"s twice and fails to detect the phone.

I don't have any 32-bit installations to test with...

E

ubuntu 9.04 i386 live -- fails same way
ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 live -- fails same way
ubuntu 10.04 x86_64 -- fails same way
fedora 13 i686 -- fails the same way

No matter what it keeps saying it's waiting for the phone. I've tried recovery console, normal boot, still won't detect it. (adb works fine so I know the cable/USB is good.) Test on a fresh laptop with no adb also.

E
Edit: tested Fedora 13 live. Also fails same way.

You said you've tried it in normal boot and recovery mode. Have you tried it in bootloader mode? Holding X gives you recovery mode. Holding up will put you in bootloader mode. You need to be in bootloader mode.

Also, make sure you run sbf_flash as sudo.

Honestly, the people who put these files up on their websites need to post detailed instructions. This stuff can get confusing...

Last edited by a moderator:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
sbf_flash doesn't work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box. It "error 16"s twice and fails to detect the phone.

E

No matter what it keeps saying it's waiting for the phone. I've tried recovery console, normal boot, still won't detect it. (adb works fine so I know the cable/USB is good.) Test on a fresh laptop with no adb also.

E

You said you've tried it in normal boot and recovery mode. Have you tried it in bootloader mode? Holding X gives you recovery mode. Holding up will put you in bootloader mode. You need to be in bootloader mode.

Honestly, the people who put these files up on their websites need to post detailed instructions. This stuff can get confusing...
Maybe, but if you have too much information other people get confused, so why risk confusing the 50% of users who don't need the extra information that 2% require? :)

However, if the post is missing information that it needs, like a command or two, please point it out to the guide writer and it will be added post haste.

Thanks for pointing it out -- I'm sure MotoCache will want to add that ASAP.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
@skylordusa1

How long is long? If it was less than 15 minutes then you didn't wait long enough. That update takes a long time to gel the first time if you didn't do the wipe. :) I forgot to warn about that, but if you don't mind having it back to stock-like-new, no harm no foul. :)

Glad to help.

Oh okay I dont think I waited 15 minutes. Was probably like 6 or 7 minutes until I said oh man I think I screwed up my phone hahahahhahahha. But yeah once I pulled the battery and rebooted back to stock recovery did the wipe and then rebooted and it came back up with all stock defaults. Even had to activate my phone again. I made a nandroid backup before I attempted all that. Then followed this guide again to get sprecovery and root and restored my backup and boom im right back to where I was before. That is good to know I have the stock file now if I ever need it. Thanks alot for all your help furbearing I appreciate it. I see alot of people asking this same question. "If I do this how do I get back to stock?' I will try to help your sore keys out by providing everyone with the link you provided me.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
moto will this work with the new frg22d official patch?

I don't mean to answer for Moto, and I'm a raw newbie at this, but Moto's guide worked for my manually updated frg22d Droid.

Anybody who wants to can feel free to answer for me. Honestly I put "regardless of OS version" in the title for a reason and it gets a little tiring to keep answering that question with "Any OS". Please, everybody, "any OS" - even ones that haven't come out yet. OK? If someone comes out with an OS that somehow it doesn't work with (which would mean it would have to be like Windows or something because it will work on any Linux based OS that is compiled for the ARM series of processors) then we'll update the OP to say so.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Having a little trouble finding the guide/directions/files to get my phone completely back to stock 2.2 with stock recovery. Anyone have any links/files they can provide that would help someone get back to fully stock 2.2 or 2.1. Not that I want to do this now but would be nice to have just incase.
Install the larger update from the circus thread. It'll put stock recovery back on and give you bone-stock FRG01B.
Or do a factory reset and flash on the FRG01B SBF. That'll put it to stock for sure - and you'll have pretty much an empty, new phone.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I have universal androot loaded along with ROM manager. I try and load Chevyno1 rom and goto restart into clockwork recovery and i get a triangle with an ! in the middle of it. If i unroot, will the directions above work to root?
These instructions will root any Droid 1. Period.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Because the thread starts out like this>>>This procedure is to root a phone that is not presently rooted. If you're already rooted (by virtue of running a custom ROM or any other way) then you don't need this.

SO..I can do this method EVENTHOUGH I am already rooted with universal androot and it won't screw anything up?
Yes, but your first question says you were going to unroot and wanted to know if this would then root you -- which it will. If you're not going to unroot, then you don't need this.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I guess their was one slightly confusing step for me.

in step 11 it seemed to suggest to skip step 12 if you caught the boot?

I can see how my phrasing could have been misleading:

If you didn't catch the boot and the OS booted, continue with Step 12.
What I was getting at was that even if you didn't catch the boot -- keep on rolling and we'll see if it mattered in a bit.

I've updated the sentence to read:

Even if you didn't catch the boot and the OS booted, still continue with Step 12.
Thanks for helping me make it more clear.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
i'm new to rooting.. is their any downsides of rooting with the 1 click software?
Why are all the w's in your post links to the android-wifi-tether page?
the W on my keyboard was not working so I copied a w from somewhere and pasted it everytime i wanted to type a W, that W just must have linked to that page. My apologies. In other news I fixed the W key ;)(
That's cool. I was just wondering if it was a subliminal promotion for the wifi-tether app. :)

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Maybe, but if you have too much information other people get confused, so why risk confusing the 50% of users who don't need the extra information that 2% require? :)

However, if the post is missing information that it needs, like a command or two, please point it out to the guide writer and it will be added post haste.

Thanks for pointing it out -- I'm sure MotoCache will want to add that ASAP.
He and the other poster aren't really talking about this guide. They are talking about sbf_flash which is a Linux tool you can use to do flashes in place of RSD Lite (which of course won't run on Linux). I just built a shiny new Ubuntu laptop the other day and should be running sbf_flash on it sometime this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

N

nxmehta

Motocache, I have two questions for you. After we've rooted using your method, we'll have sprecovery installed, along with busybox and superuser. So,

1. If we ever need to receive an OTA update, will sprecovery block it? If so, how do we get around that to apply the update? Once we install any OTA we can use your method again to re-root it (which is really great because it's a universal method!) but I just want to make sure that there's a path to installing the OTA. Some of just want a stock, rooted Droid with maybe a low voltage kernel.

2. If we install busybox from the market, will it detect your version and just update it? Or will it install a second version? If it installs a second version, might it be better to distribute update.zip without busybox so we can use the market to keep it up to date? The same goes for superuser.

Thanks for your hard work!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gavron

E

E

First, yes, bootloader mode DOES make sbf_flash work. That's the good news.

Now here's the bad news.

1. After flashing the new SPrecovery SBF, the red LED was on, and no charging occured. On reboot, no USB was detected, the system said "connect charger" and adb said no device was connected.

2. WiFi said it was disabled. I would have thought just flashing recovery wouldn't change any system setting...

3. Rebooted to Recovery using Quick Boot. Formatted partitions and Restored Nandroid Backup. (restored recovery, system, data).

I'm still processing what I've learned from this ...
a. sbf_flash DOES work on linux (ubuntu x86_64 with compat_libs, and therefore likely i386)
b. MUST BE in bootloader mode (hold down d-pad up key during boot)
c. The resulting boot may be insufficient to have USB working... but you do have an alternate recovery.

Conclusion C is suspect. Insufficient testing.

Ehud

N

nxmehta

Now here's the bad news.

1. After flashing the new SPrecovery SBF, the red LED was on, and no charging occured. On reboot, no USB was detected, the system said "connect charger" and adb said no device was connected.

2. WiFi said it was disabled. I would have thought just flashing recovery wouldn't change any system setting...

3. Rebooted to Recovery using Quick Boot. Formatted partitions and Restored Nandroid Backup. (restored recovery, system, data).

a. sbf_flash DOES work on linux (ubuntu x86_64 with compat_libs, and therefore likely i386)
c. The resulting boot may be insufficient to have USB working... but you do have an alternate recovery.

Ehud

Yikes, so you're saying that sbf_flash killed your USB and Wifi? Wow.

I will say that I have used sbf_flash before, but not with Motocache's method.

For the record, how did you restore from a Nandroid backup? I was under the impression that you need root to even make a Nandroid backup, and if you already have root then you have no need for this method. I'm asking because if I want to try this on my recently stock, unrooted device, I'd obviously like to make a Nandroid backup first :)

G

gavron

Now here's the bad news.

Ehud

Yikes, so you're saying that sbf_flash killed your USB and Wifi? Wow.

I will say that I have used sbf_flash before, but not with Motocache's method.

For the record, how did you restore from a Nandroid backup? I was under the impression that you need root to even make a Nandroid backup, and if you already have root then you have no need for this method. I'm asking because if I want to try this on my recently stock, unrooted device, I'd obviously like to make a Nandroid backup first :)

I've had root for ages. I wanted to try this because I don't use Windows and wanted to try the Linux tool. (Note the number of OSs I tested). My error was not knowing to put it into bootloader. Based on comments on the guy's site... I'm not the only one.

Here's what I did:
Code:
$ ./sbf_flash SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf 
SBF FLASH 1.08 (mbm)

Index[1]: Unexpected chip 16
Index[2]: Unexpected chip 16
=== SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf ===
00: RDL03 0x80500000-0x8054CFFF FE66 AP
01:  CG35 0xC0680000-0xC08E37FF ABCB AP
02:  CG47 0xC0A00000-0xC0D5C7FF 02C0 AP

Droid found.
 >> uploading RDL03
Uploading: 100% OK
 >> verifying ramloader
 -- OK
 >> executing ramloader
Droid found.
 >> sending erase
 >> uploading CG35
 >> uploading CG47
 >> verifying CG35
 -- OK
 >> verifying CG47
 -- OK
 >> rebooting

During reboot:
1. The LED was red.
2. ADB never was able to find the device.

After reboot complete add:
3. The droid told me to hook up a charger. (Note: battery was 100% prior to starting this exercise)

USB did not show connected. Note that it had been connected the whole time nor did I move it.

WiFi showed disabled. It's possible I could have enabled it, but I didn't try. My thought is that changing recovery shouldn't affect the running system, PARTICULARLY since I SBF flashed the same recovery that was already there. HOWEVER I don't understand how SBF truly "resets things". It's clearly more than just a "partition restore" so I may be whining about nothing much. It's possible I just needed to go re-enable USB debug... and that would have corrected it.

I then rebooted recovery (I was rooted before; was still rooted).

I restored a nandroid backup of recovery, system, data, and all is fine.

So sbf_flash works... but it appears to "reset" things to factory default that have nothing to do specifically with "recovery".

I am scared to test more right now ;)

E