FRG01B OTA enables a feature to undo custom recovery partitions

tdweng

Reaction score
MotoCache, i not sure if you tried or heard of this app, but i use it all the time and it is way easier then using ADB commands or root explorer to get to any folders that require root access. It is called droid explorer and installs on your PC. Once you have it installed all you should have to do is plug your phone in and then open the app, then it is will look like your normal windows explorer and you can get at any folder you want on your phone to push files and delete as needed. It has many other features as well, but that is what i use it for now. Works great on XP, have had issues getting it work on windows 7, have not tried it in awhile so they may have solved some of those issues now.

Droid Explorer

Just a note on this, you must have root access on your phone and busybox installed for it to work, there are instructions on how to install busybox on there website, but if you are running any custom rom it will already be installed

GCurry

Reaction score
Yup. I saw that happen last night, with my first attempt at custom ROM (Sapphire). Did the FRG01B update manually, then EasyRoot, then ROM Manager. ROM Mgr said I successfully flashed CW recovery, but then stock recovery was there.

Then I started seeing the bootup "M" stay for like a minute (that must have been stock recovery being rewritten?). Finally, I got ROM Mgr to make ROM backup and I flashed Sapphire, and CW recovery still there.

zakany

Reaction score
Nobody in real life runs these OTA builds. ... It's only on the net that some people apparently think they should stick with OTA.

Then you have folks like me, who were just patient for 2.2 to come OTA before rooting their phone. Besides, what we learn now will help in the future and help us understand the past.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
MotoCache, i not sure if you tried or heard of this app, but i use it all the time and it is way easier then using ADB commands or root explorer to get to any folders that require root access.[...]

Droid Explorer

Just a note on this, you must have root access on your phone and busybox installed for it to work, there are instructions on how to install busybox on there website, but if you are running any custom rom it will already be installed

OK, but what's this "root" you speak of? Just kidding. Thanks for the info.

zakany

Reaction score
I considered Droid Explorer rather than the Android Data Bridge because my Linux CLI is permanently rusty (never use it enough to learn it). But needing your Droid rooted to use Droid Explorer doesn't help me use Droid Explorer to root my Droid (heh). That, and the author seemed to be squishing bugs with the latest version.

creamers

Reaction score
This feature has existed for awhile and was not introuduced into FRG01B it has been in every rom expect custom rustom most people remove it.

Also keep in mind you could chnage the md5 of it. But then it wouldn't download the new custom recovery.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
This feature has existed for awhile and was not introuduced into FRG01B it has been in every rom expect custom rustom most people remove it.

Also keep in mind you could chnage the md5 of it. But then it wouldn't download the new custom recovery.
Yep. The way they do it has changed a little since the early builds, but the feature itself is nothing new or uncommon. However it's wasn't apparently too widely known or understood to this point.

G

gavron

Yep. The way they do it has changed a little since the early builds, but the feature itself is nothing new or uncommon. However it's wasn't apparently too widely known or understood to this point.

yes, Moto1cache, you did an awesome job of dissecting, explaining, and covering it. Kudos to you!

E

EbE404

Reaction score
A big bump and thanks for this. Questions about this issue seem to be popping up daily from Easy Root users, and you're right-usually the problem gets "solved" and then forgotten. This will be a big help for the community. Thanks for the find and the very clear and detailed write up.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't this old news? 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1 all did that, too - on boot, it would run install-recovery.sh and re-install the stock recovery image.

I believe 2.0.1 was out by the time we began rooting. That having been said, you are correct. The recovery-from-boot.p was a very important part of keeping your custom recovery intact, and failure to rename the file would always result in it being overwritten.

Good "old school" observation, Se7enLC

xmguy

Reaction score
Let me ask. If in the future I get a replacement droid 1 running this setup FRG01B OR FRG22D. Can I use the "downgrade" approach to install a ROOTED 2.2 either stock or rom? Then still have SPRecovery? My current Droid is rooted and I have MANY Nandroid backups. But I want to ensure that I can still get back to the setup I have now should I need it later on and not be stuck to having the FRS.

cages

Reaction score
Apologize for posting in abit old theme but... I have real issue with my huawei u8110.Am tryed to flash new image to recovery via Rom manager a few days ago_Ofc,phone is already rooted etc.Everything vent fine but after reboot into recovery stock recovery shows up.Stock have only 4 options and i cant install custom rom with him.After some researching am found this thread but problem is i cant find recovery-from-boot.p :< Phone is rooted and am using Root explorer.Bdw in rom manager i can read:Curent recovery:Clockwork mod 2.5.0.7 Latest recovery:Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7
Also am tryed to put custom ROM named update.zip on my sd but still stock recovery cant open it... I realy dont have ideas what to do anymore,thx in advance.
P.S. Soz for my poor english i hope u can understand me :)