Droid stuck in boot loop

deahl001

Reaction score
Long story, but here goes...

About a week ago I turned off my Droid. When I attempted to turn it back on it got stuck at the Motorola logo screen. After a few minutes it would reboot and do the same over and over. I had never rooted or done anything custom to the phone at any point. It was 100% stock original. Nothing had changed recently to suddenly cause an issue, no new apps or anything. I spoke with Verizon about it and they walked me through the process of attempting to boot to the recovery screen. During this call we found that I could not even boot to the recovery screen. I am outside of the warranty and inside of my renewal date.

Since I don't intend to pay for a new one I decided to try to fix it myself. My first attempt was simply to get to a point that I could boot to recovery. I flashed the phone with SPRecovery and sure enough I was able to boot to recovery. I then attempted to flash it with 2.2 and ended up back in the same situation with the boot loop. During all of this I noted that the Bootloader version was 2C.7C.

I then decided to go back to the SPRecovery/rooted configuration and attempted to load a custom ROM from Liquid. This also failed.

My next train of thought was to flash back to an older version of the Droid OS. I chose to flash to VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03. Low and behold, that worked and the phone booted up and ran fine. It immediately updated to 2.1 update 1. I noticed after this flash that I was on Bootloader version 2C.6C.

Shortly afterwards I was prompted to install the OTA 2.2 update. After accepting and installing I was back to having a bricked phone. This was through the OTA update. Nothing I did or forced.

So basically, I can flash the phone back to VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03 again and it works fine. But the second it tries to install the 2.2 OTA update or if I attempt to flash to the 2.2 image it gets stuck in the loop.

Notes that may be important:
1. I get the "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" error when I am able to get into recovery.
2. I have been sure to wipe data, cache, etc and formatted the SD Card through the phone OS when possible.
3. I use Ubuntu to flash the phone as it seems more stable and easier for my preference (I like Linux commands :) )

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!