1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rezound or Razr M

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by AmishButcher, Sep 12, 2012.

1. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

Hello all...the time has come to upgrade, so I'm gathering info on potential phones. So I've narrowed it down to these two. VZW offers the Rezound for $79 online (it was $199 in the store today) and the Razr M is $99. I've got the DINC 2 currently and the DINC before that, so already leaning towards HTC...but it looks like the Razr M is quite a phone for the $ and it leads me to my biggest hesitation at this this point - it's NEW vs. the almost yr old Rezound at this point. If I went Rezound it would be almost 3yrs old by the time my contract expires. Don't get me wrong, the stats on the Rezound are impressive but I can invision it left for dead in terms of OTA droid updates by this time next year (as the case with my DINC 2).

So I guess it boils down to a year old pimp phone vs a brand new mid level.

I will surely root whichever I choose, am current running CM on my DINC2

My main uses for the phone are Web, Games, pics and random YouTube clips...not big into streaming music or video.

Also, I guess the Rezound ships with some decent Beats ear buds, nothing top of the line, but above average and that is a plus also (for my iPod, ha).

I appreciate any responses or input from you guys...THANKS!
  2. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

Oh, in researching, I am confused on the 4G network described for the phones:
    Rezound - LTE 700
    Razr M - LTE 700 / 800 / 1700 / 1800 / 2600

Yes I'm new to most of this, but does this mean something like the Razr M comes pre-loaded with more compatibility to an upgraded LTE Network?

Source:
    HTC Rezound vs. Motorola RAZR M - GSMArena.com
  3. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

In the news, verizon purchased some new frequency bands for lte, and is selling off some of its 700 mhz holdings in some areas.

Thus far lte has been only in the 700 mhz band, but it appears this will be changing. Perhaps in a few years the rezound will be obsolete? Probably there will continue to be compatibility for many years.

Recently my adult daughter caused minute overage on our family plan averaging two hours of talking per day. There is a $95 charge to terminate her phone service. The alternative is to pay $10 per month for six months and terminate without any penalties. So her phone number was transferred to my old LG phone and it works fine. It sits on the kitchen table unused - occasionally making noises when her friends text or call. Point is the only verizon phone that ever got obsolete was my old analog bag phone from over a decade ago. Now that was a great Motorola bag phone!
  4. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Welcome to DF AmishButcher. That is a tough decision because I think what you will find when you go to play with them is that you are looking at two excellent phones. My son has the rezound and there has been absolutely no problems with his phone at all... great signal, takes great pics, great display, no drops and his update to ICS has been flawless (I did an fdr, so think that helped for his update).

I think the advantages to the razr will be the faster processor, that it will get jelly bean fairly soon, and I expect it to have great radios in the Motorola tradition. I am curious how the difference in the display will be between the two & difference in cameras. Even though both have same size display, the difference in phone size may play a factor in your choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

The Rezound is a good device. Problem it is almost a year old device. Specs are very similar across the board and I have heard that the Rezound does have decent reception. Moto goes without saying in regards to reception. It is a Moto after-all. Not sure if the Rezound will see JB or not. The M will and prolly beyond. And it (Rezound) is kind of a brick. Especially with the extended battery. If I was gonna be killing an upgrade I think I would go for the new hotness that will see updates for at least another year over a device that is prolly gonna be hitting EOL pretty soon.

Just food for thought. You can buy a used Rezound now for around $250.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!!
  6. TMYINC

TMYINC New Member

When it comes to rooting a phone I will always choose HTC over Motorola. This is due to the bootloader and the ability to unlock the phone. Motorola always has great hardware so that plays a factor in too. I have a Bionic, Rezound, Thunderbolt, and the original Razr. Well I gave the Thunderbolt to my wife to replace her outdated DInc lol. I like the ability to switch kernels, tweak vsels and so on so HTC is higher on my list. With the new Kexec development it might be possible for us to do that on Motorola devices but for now it's still a work in progress, but the devs are doing awesome with it. I feel Motorola will get more frequent OTAs the HTC which is great for unrooted phones or for leak development. My poor Thunderbolt is still stuck on GB lol. All this is just my 2 cents in helping you make a decision. I love Android so I make any phone work lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  7. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

Not to add incentive for the RAZR M(especially since I don't appreciate 3 iterations of the same exact phone), but with the RAZR M and beyond Moto-Google is going to start unlocking the bootloader or at least like HTC give a way to unlock the bootloader(which I believe is already up and running).
  8. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. There are more similarities than differences between the two, but probably the biggest difference (and it is a major difference) is the processor. The Snapdragon S4 in the M is an extremely efficient processor. Not only does it provide for faster operation, but it also gives a big boost to battery life. The M also has a much smaller footprint overall, while still retaining the same size screen as the Rezound.

Personally, if I were buying on contract and had to choose between the Rezound and the M, I'd go with the M. The Rezound is a great device, but I'd have a tough time using an upgrade on a phone that old, especially when it can be purchased inexpensively off-contract. If I really wanted the Rezound at this stage in the game, I'd buy it off contract and save the upgrade for a big time release in the future that I could either keep for myself or turn around and sell for $500+. Also, as already noted, the M will probably see a longer period of official support for future updates, which is always a major consideration when looking to have a phone for the length of an entire two year contract.
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Motorola has said that they'll only do that with carrier approval. Since developer editions for the RAZR M (along with the RAZR HD) have already been announced, it's safe to assume that the RAZR M and RAZR HD sold by Verizon will not have unlockable bootloaders. If the plan was to allow them to be unlocked, there'd be no reason for the developer editions.

But that does bring up a good point to consider. If you're really into flashing custom ROMs, the RAZR M sold through Verizon probably won't give you as many options as the Rezound would. You'll still be able to root once an exploit is found, but custom ROM options will be limited with a locked bootloader.
  10. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

Appreciate the feedback guys...Thank you!!! I've never owned a Moto, my experience with SmartPhones has been a BB Storm (i will never speak of again) then the DINC/DINC2. I've never had an issue with the radio on both HTC's, so while the Moto may be better, that alone will not sway my decision. My 2 biggest concerns are the Rezound's current age and therefore being abandoned by VZW (and it looks like I'm not alone in thinking this) and screen resoloution. While both Razr M and Rezound are 4.3" displays, the Rezound is 720p vs. Razr M's 540 x 960 (a slight upgrade over my DINC2). The Razr M also is stated to come with "Corning Gorilla Glass", anyone have any experience, input on this?

The only difference in cams I see (from the specs, anyway) is 2.0mp vs. the VGA FFCam.
    Beats Audio is not a buying factor, I have an iPod Classic for me music and either one of these phones won't change that.
    In terms of rooting, I have done the S-Off/Root/Flash Rom process, but I'm not an everyday flasher and at least at the surface, switching kernals has seemed a lil over my noobie head. My main objective in rooting is simply to delete the ridiculous amount of bloatware pre-loaded by my friend VZW. Although I will admit that the version of Cyanogenmod I've been running has been extremely stable and had no issues with my phone since flash.

I do prefer a lil heavier phone actually, had the Galaxy SIII in my hand at the VZW store today and it felt like a post-it note in my hand...equal parts impressive and scary.

Also, what about not being able to pull the batter on the Razr M? Should that scare me? Lord knows a good 'ol battery pull has been necessary on ALL the smartphone's I've had when the hamsters inside fall asleep.

Honestly, if it weren't so old (to START a 2yr contract with, not calling it old) I think this would be a no brainer for me with the HTC...but the flip side then would be it wouldn't be at it's current $79 price then either.

Thanks again for all the good info and warm welcome, looks I'll be here to stay, just a matter of which subforum...that being said, time to plant my flag - Go Steelers!!
  11. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

EXCELLENT INFO my friend, thank you!!!!
  12. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

The difference in screen resolution is a legitimate question. From the reviews, the qHD screen on the M is one of the best qHD screens out there. I'd go to Verizon at take a look at both screens and see what you think about the differences. Coming from the Incredible 2, either will be an improvement. Gorilla Glass just means it's a type of fortified glass that's stronger than regular glass. Most smartphones have some sort of fortified glass like that, with Gorilla Glass being the most well-known.

With ICS and beyond, you can freeze most bloatware natively in Android without the need for root. So that's something you're going to be able to do from here on out even if you decide not to root (although rooting will allow for more things to be frozen and for more customization options).

Not being able to do an actual battery pull isn't something to worry about at all with the M. Like all phones with non-removable batteries, there will be a series of button presses that do a simulated battery pull. While I'm not sure what they are for the M, on the RAZR/MAXX, all you had to do was press and hold the volume down and power button together for about ten seconds. As far as the phone is concerned, that's the same thing as pulling the battery out. I'm sure the M has a similarly easy process.
  13. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

This shouldn't be a real issue anymore, unless space is a major concern and generally speaking it shouldn't be, with ICS (and I assume JB and beyond) you can disable even firmware applications, hiding them away from the system, app drawer, and file extension associations, so that the phone acts like they do not exist. It is a very similar process to TiBu or Ultimate Backup "Freezing" an application.

Many people I know root for this reason only, so with the ability to do this in the operating system rooting is not a real concern to most of them.
  14. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

I had a very bad experience with the last ota to my Motorola Droid X. It was an extreme amount of work to regain root with 621.

I swore I'd never buy another Motorola phone.

HTC is nice that they officially sanction and assist unlocking the bootloader which makes rooting a breeze. It is also simple to replace the recovery with a custom recovery which does backups and can install roms.

Personally I would stay away from Motorola and look at htc and Samsung as being far more root friendly.

Also consider leaving verizon if others like t-Mobile happen to have good coverage in your area and fast data.

If my contract with Verizon was over, I'd consider the new Samsung galaxy nexus II purchased directly from Google and use it on tmobile.
  15. nikecar

nikecar New Member

every phone will be obsolete in a few yrs

now that we have ICS, the data drops have gone. Its a great phone, but yes, its outdated, just like in 1 yr, the M will be too.
  16. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

I love my Rezound and I also had a Dinc2 and a Dinc before this phone so I'm partial to HTC as well. The specs are close. Stock for stock the M will have better battery life but you can get an extended battery for the Rezound. The other thing you have to consider is the Rezound has been out for a while so what few bugs there were are already known and fixed. The M is brand new so the bug issue is yet unknown. As the others have said the M will be supported for a while since it is new. To be honest it's the little things you have to think about since there is no major difference between phones other than the age and battery. As the others have suggested go to the VZ store and give both a try. When I tried the Razr Maxx I hated it. It felt too fragile to me but that's personal preference. I love the way my RZ feels with the extended battery. Even my Dinc2, which my wife now uses, feels too thin now.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  17. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Member

My last phone was a Moto phone, a Droid2...and I loved it. Great phone. I've always enjoyed the build quality of Motorola phones.
    My current phone is an HTC Rezound, and again, I love it. Great, great phone.

Definitely a valid concern for a new phone. I just got my Rezound in June for $79.99. So I was about 7 months behind the launch date...but I wanted to renew my unlimited data for another 2 years before Verizon changed to tiered plans. I made it by three days.

The Rezound has one of the best screens on the market (better than any iPhone currently out). It's top notch.

I have not had any experience with it.

I used to think the same way. I wanted to keep my music and my phone seperate...until I finally cut the cord and put all of my music in Google Music.
    As it turns out, it is one of the best things I have ever done...and I'll tell you why...
    I always have my phone with me, and therefore always have my music with me. I stream it to my bluetooth receiver in my car, I can play a song at the drop of a hat for my kids if we are out somewhere, when I buy a song through Google Play it goes right into my account which is accessible from my phone, if I am cutting the grass on our riding mower I stream Google Music and if my wife needs to get a hold of me or if I get a text while cutting the grass I hear the ring or notification and can check the phone. I wouldn't hear it otherwise and it may be an hour or two or three before I am finished cutting. I bought the extended battery for the Rezound, so I have no concerns about playing music for extended periods of time draining the battery.

And about the beats audio headphones... If you don't want 'em, you can sell them and pretty much recoup the cost of your phone...essentially making your phone free...more or less. They aren't cheap earbuds.

I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the thinnest and lightest phones. I need a little bit of weight to my phone...it also makes the phone feel solid.

Or...if your battery goes bad. I wasn't ready to go non-removable battery yet when I bought the Rezound...having a removable battery was a big deal to me. It also allowed me to buy the extended battery. I haven't had to pull the battery for my Rezound...it's been a very stable and enjoyable experience so far.

I got that same deal back in June...$79. The price was another big deal for me. But like someone else said, you can buy used Rezounds for $250 now...which means you don't need a new 2 year contract. Do you currently have unlimited data? If so, that means you could keep it if you buy the phone outright without a new contract.

Battery life hasn't been mentioned for the Rezound. If you go with the Rezound, you will want to invest in the extended battery. The stock battery doesn't get great battery life at all...especially if you are a heavy user. It will run out halfway through the day. I bought the extended battery when I bought the phone and have used it from the get go. I can get almost two full days out of it on minimal use. And a good 12-18 hours on heavy use days. I'm very satisfied with battery life on the Rezound with the extended battery.

The things that were important to me were:
    • Having a very good camera
    • Good battery life
    • High quality screen
    • Must be significantly faster than previous phone (which is always a requirement for me...if we're upgrading, let's upgrade to a faster phone)
    • Price
    Welcome. And - LET'S GO BLUES! (if the NHL has a season this year) :biggrin:
  18. crxlsturbo

crxlsturbo Member

I have never owned a HTC phone before the Rezound. I can tell you overall this phone is great. The poster above me explained it all about this phone. I'll be owning this phone until HTC releases another great phone like the Rezound.
  19. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

This is my biggest point of curiousity at this point. I've read the qHD
    screen of the M can still appear grainy up close, yet I've never noticed
    that on the lesser display of my DINC2...something a visit to VZW will
    remedy

Good info, I've read you can also hide the icons, which seeing a bazillion
    times a day and not using drives me nuts and their removal was my main
    reason to root. The process you describe for a simulated battery pull is
    the same as my iPod, simple enough.

Yep, currently grandfathered into the unlimited and was very dissapointed to
    hear I would have to tiered if I upgraded (and also how my $30 New Every 2
    would conveniently was a BS $30 "upgrade" fee, but that's another matter.
    I'm trying to stay under $100 for my next device, so unfortunately this
    option is ruled out, but a good option and thanks for the heads up. I've
    tracked my data over the past year and have only exceeded 1GB 2x, but the
    piece of mind for the unlimited is priceless IMO, those ba$tards, haha.
    FWIW, thier 2GB shared plan is only $4 dollars cheaper than our current,
    individual but on the same bill, setup (my unlimited + her non-smarty).
    Also, Western Pa is dominated by Verizon

Yeah, maybe "outdated" or "obsolete" wasn't the correct term on my part, but
    you surely get my point. The 720p display of the Rezound will probably
    STILL be a top notch/elite display by the time my contract would expire. It
    just looks as though ICS will be the last update for the Rezound, and the M
    will recieve Jelly Bean and Krispy Kreme/Kaptain Krunch/Krueller (whatever
    they call it). The more I think about it, I don't wanna spend the next 2
    years with a phone that ALREADY has recieved it's last update, even with
    that 720p

Really good stuff, thanks for your time and effort. The 720p display is
    still the biggest thing for me with the Rezound, as I mentioned earlier, I
    highly doubt that display will NOT be just as amazing 2 years from now. As
    for the Beats headphones, I was under the impression they weren't anything
    too special, a mid-level type quality. As for the music piece, I'm still
    the old-school torrent -> iPod guy. Don't wanna get into my digi music
    preferences as this response is already too long, but to sum, I like NEVER
    having to worry about space and having to pick and choose songs...I want em
    all on there, a music hoarder! haha

Thanks again everyone for all the responses!!
  20. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

I forgot to mention - in addition to new nexus devices to be announced later this year, there is supposed to be a new HTC phone coming to verizon. 5 inch 1080p screen, and latest & greatest everything.

Usually the price for a newly released phone drops after 5 month.
Search tags for this page

droid razr m vs htc rezound

droid razr m vs rezound

droid x vs htc rezound
htc rezound obsolete

htc rezound vs droid razr m

htc rezound vs motorola razr m
htc rezound vs razr

htc rezound vs razr m

motorola razr m vs htc rezound

razor droid m vs htc
razr m or rezound