Rezound or Razr M

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I love my Rezound and I also had a Dinc2 and a Dinc before this phone so I'm partial to HTC as well. The specs are close. Stock for stock the M will have better battery life but you can get an extended battery for the Rezound. The other thing you have to consider is the Rezound has been out for a while so what few bugs there were are already known and fixed. The M is brand new so the bug issue is yet unknown. As the others have said the M will be supported for a while since it is new. To be honest it's the little things you have to think about since there is no major difference between phones other than the age and battery. As the others have suggested go to the VZ store and give both a try. When I tried the Razr Maxx I hated it. It felt too fragile to me but that's personal preference. I love the way my RZ feels with the extended battery. Even my Dinc2, which my wife now uses, feels too thin now.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback guys...Thank you!!! I've never owned a Moto, my experience with SmartPhones has been a BB Storm (i will never speak of again) then the DINC/DINC2. I've never had an issue with the radio on both HTC's, so while the Moto may be better, that alone will not sway my decision.
My last phone was a Moto phone, a Droid2...and I loved it. Great phone. I've always enjoyed the build quality of Motorola phones.
My current phone is an HTC Rezound, and again, I love it. Great, great phone.

My 2 biggest concerns are the Rezound's current age and therefore being abandoned by VZW (and it looks like I'm not alone in thinking this)
Definitely a valid concern for a new phone. I just got my Rezound in June for $79.99. So I was about 7 months behind the launch date...but I wanted to renew my unlimited data for another 2 years before Verizon changed to tiered plans. I made it by three days.

and screen resoloution. While both Razr M and Rezound are 4.3" displays, the Rezound is 720p vs. Razr M's 540 x 960 (a slight upgrade over my DINC2).
The Rezound has one of the best screens on the market (better than any iPhone currently out). It's top notch.

The Razr M also is stated to come with "Corning Gorilla Glass", anyone have any experience, input on this?
I have not had any experience with it.

Beats Audio is not a buying factor, I have an iPod Classic for me music and either one of these phones won't change that.
I used to think the same way. I wanted to keep my music and my phone seperate...until I finally cut the cord and put all of my music in Google Music.
As it turns out, it is one of the best things I have ever done...and I'll tell you why...
I always have my phone with me, and therefore always have my music with me. I stream it to my bluetooth receiver in my car, I can play a song at the drop of a hat for my kids if we are out somewhere, when I buy a song through Google Play it goes right into my account which is accessible from my phone, if I am cutting the grass on our riding mower I stream Google Music and if my wife needs to get a hold of me or if I get a text while cutting the grass I hear the ring or notification and can check the phone. I wouldn't hear it otherwise and it may be an hour or two or three before I am finished cutting. I bought the extended battery for the Rezound, so I have no concerns about playing music for extended periods of time draining the battery.

And about the beats audio headphones... If you don't want 'em, you can sell them and pretty much recoup the cost of your phone...essentially making your phone free...more or less. They aren't cheap earbuds.

I do prefer a lil heavier phone actually, had the Galaxy SIII in my hand at the VZW store today and it felt like a post-it note in my hand...equal parts impressive and scary.
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the thinnest and lightest phones. I need a little bit of weight to my phone...it also makes the phone feel solid.

Also, what about not being able to pull the batter on the Razr M? Should that scare me? Lord knows a good 'ol battery pull has been necessary on ALL the smartphone's I've had when the hamsters inside fall asleep.
Or...if your battery goes bad. I wasn't ready to go non-removable battery yet when I bought the Rezound...having a removable battery was a big deal to me. It also allowed me to buy the extended battery. I haven't had to pull the battery for my Rezound...it's been a very stable and enjoyable experience so far.

Honestly, if it weren't so old (to START a 2yr contract with, not calling it old) I think this would be a no brainer for me with the HTC...but the flip side then would be it wouldn't be at it's current $79 price then either.
I got that same deal back in June...$79. The price was another big deal for me. But like someone else said, you can buy used Rezounds for $250 now...which means you don't need a new 2 year contract. Do you currently have unlimited data? If so, that means you could keep it if you buy the phone outright without a new contract.

Thanks again for all the good info and warm welcome, looks I'll be here to stay, just a matter of which subforum...that being said, time to plant my flag - Go Steelers!!

Battery life hasn't been mentioned for the Rezound. If you go with the Rezound, you will want to invest in the extended battery. The stock battery doesn't get great battery life at all...especially if you are a heavy user. It will run out halfway through the day. I bought the extended battery when I bought the phone and have used it from the get go. I can get almost two full days out of it on minimal use. And a good 12-18 hours on heavy use days. I'm very satisfied with battery life on the Rezound with the extended battery.

The things that were important to me were:
  • Having a very good camera
  • Good battery life
  • High quality screen
  • Must be significantly faster than previous phone (which is always a requirement for me...if we're upgrading, let's upgrade to a faster phone)
  • Price
Welcome. And - LET'S GO BLUES! (if the NHL has a season this year) :biggrin:

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
I have never owned a HTC phone before the Rezound. I can tell you overall this phone is great. The poster above me explained it all about this phone. I'll be owning this phone until HTC releases another great phone like the Rezound.

OP
A

AmishButcher

Reaction score
The difference in screen resolution is a
legitimate question. From the reviews, the qHD screen on the M is one of
the best qHD screens out there. I'd go to Verizon at take a look at both
screens and see what you think about the differences. Coming from the
Incredible 2, either will be an improvement. Gorilla Glass just means it's
a type of fortified glass that's stronger than regular glass. Most
smartphones have some sort of fortified glass like that, with Gorilla Glass
being the most well-known.
This is my biggest point of curiousity at this point. I've read the qHD
screen of the M can still appear grainy up close, yet I've never noticed
that on the lesser display of my DINC2...something a visit to VZW will
remedy

With ICS and beyond, you can freeze most
bloatware natively in Android without the need for root. So that's
something you're going to be able to do from here on out even if you decide
not to root (although rooting will allow for more things to be frozen and
for more customization options).
Not being able to do an actual battery pull isn't something to worry about
at all with the M. Like all phones with non-removable batteries, there will
be a series of button presses that do a simulated battery pull.
This shouldn't be a real issue anymore, unless
space is a major concern and generally speaking it shouldn't be, with ICS
(and I assume JB and beyond) you can disable even firmware applications,
hiding them away from the system, app drawer, and file extension
associations, so that the phone acts like they do not exist. It is a very
similar process to TiBu or Ultimate Backup "Freezing" an application.
Many people I know root for this reason only, so with the ability to do this
in the operating system rooting is not a real concern to most of
them.
Good info, I've read you can also hide the icons, which seeing a bazillion
times a day and not using drives me nuts and their removal was my main
reason to root. The process you describe for a simulated battery pull is
the same as my iPod, simple enough.

Also consider leaving verizon if others like t-Mobile
happen to have good coverage in your area and fast data. If my contract with
Verizon was over, I'd consider the new Samsung galaxy nexus II purchased
directly from Google and use it on tmobile.
I got that same deal back in June...$79. The
price was another big deal for me. But like someone else said, you can buy
used Rezounds for $250 now...which means you don't need a new 2 year
contract. Do you currently have unlimited data? If so, that means you
could keep it if you buy the phone outright without a new contract.
Yep, currently grandfathered into the unlimited and was very dissapointed to
hear I would have to tiered if I upgraded (and also how my $30 New Every 2
would conveniently was a BS $30 "upgrade" fee, but that's another matter.
I'm trying to stay under $100 for my next device, so unfortunately this
option is ruled out, but a good option and thanks for the heads up. I've
tracked my data over the past year and have only exceeded 1GB 2x, but the
piece of mind for the unlimited is priceless IMO, those ba$tards, haha.
FWIW, thier 2GB shared plan is only $4 dollars cheaper than our current,
individual but on the same bill, setup (my unlimited + her non-smarty).
Also, Western Pa is dominated by Verizon

every phone will be obsolete in a few yrs. Its a
great phone, but yes, its outdated, just like in 1 yr, the M will be
too.
Yeah, maybe "outdated" or "obsolete" wasn't the correct term on my part, but
you surely get my point. The 720p display of the Rezound will probably
STILL be a top notch/elite display by the time my contract would expire. It
just looks as though ICS will be the last update for the Rezound, and the M
will recieve Jelly Bean and Krispy Kreme/Kaptain Krunch/Krueller (whatever
they call it). The more I think about it, I don't wanna spend the next 2
years with a phone that ALREADY has recieved it's last update, even with
that 720p

Definitely a valid concern for a new phone. I
just got my Rezound in June for $79.99. So I was about 7 months behind the
launch date...but I wanted to renew my unlimited data for another 2 years
before Verizon changed to tiered plans. I made it by three days.
The Rezound has one of the best screens on the market (better than any
iPhone currently out). It's top notch.
I used to think the same way. I wanted to keep my music and my phone
seperate...until I finally cut the cord and put all of my music in Google
Music.
As it turns out, it is one of the best things I have ever done...and I'll
tell you why...
And about the beats audio headphones... If you don't want 'em, you can sell
them and pretty much recoup the cost of your phone...essentially making your
phone free...more or less. They aren't cheap earbuds.
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the thinnest and lightest phones. I need a
little bit of weight to my phone...it also makes the phone feel solid.
Or...if your battery goes bad. I wasn't ready to go non-removable battery
yet when I bought the Rezound...having a removable battery was a big deal to
me. It also allowed me to buy the extended battery. I haven't had to pull
the battery for my Rezound...it's been a very stable and enjoyable
experience so far.
The things that were important to me were:
  • Having a very good camera
  • Good battery life
  • High quality screen
  • Must be significantly faster than previous phone (which is always a
    requirement for me...if we're upgrading, let's upgrade to a faster phone)
  • Price
Welcome. And - LET'S GO BLUES! (if the NHL has a season this year)
:biggrin:
Really good stuff, thanks for your time and effort. The 720p display is
still the biggest thing for me with the Rezound, as I mentioned earlier, I
highly doubt that display will NOT be just as amazing 2 years from now. As
for the Beats headphones, I was under the impression they weren't anything
too special, a mid-level type quality. As for the music piece, I'm still
the old-school torrent -> iPod guy. Don't wanna get into my digi music
preferences as this response is already too long, but to sum, I like NEVER
having to worry about space and having to pick and choose songs...I want em
all on there, a music hoarder! haha

Thanks again everyone for all the responses!!

HowardZ

Reaction score
I forgot to mention - in addition to new nexus devices to be announced later this year, there is supposed to be a new HTC phone coming to verizon. 5 inch 1080p screen, and latest & greatest everything.

Usually the price for a newly released phone drops after 5 month.

Snoking

Reaction score
I sold my Beats ear buds for 60 and OG for 85. Paid 99 for RZ the end of Feb. Hope to be still using it three or four years from now and still be on unlimited data.

Reaction score
I just traded my rezound for a razor maxx due to battery issues. I use my phone a lot for calls, texts, emails, and data. My rezound had to stay on 3g and still I was attached to a charger all day.

The maxx is logging 18+ hours before needing a charge.

I love everything else about the rezound other than the battery and I just could not carry a phone so big with the extended. The display on the rezound is just beautiful.....however that comes with a huge battery price. The system is smooth and call qaulity good. If battery is not a huge issue for you, the rezound will be a great phone you will love to keep for a long time.

I am very surprisingly happy with the razor maxx. 4g is lightening fast, call quality is the best, battery amazing, and I love ics on this phone. It is loaded with features and the smart actions really work.

I know you are looking at the razor m, but it is very similar to the maxx.

I am sure you will not regret your decision no matter which phone you choose as they are both great choices.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The extended battery turns the Rezound into a beast. This is moderate use only using wifi.

ForumRunner_20120914_095007.png

acejavelin

Reaction score
The extended battery turns the Rezound into a beast. This is moderate use only using wifi.

View attachment 55911

That is sweet, but like dressagerider1 I don't like the bulk, my solution is to carry a second standard battery... simple process, 3 minutes to change battery from power off to back up and running on ICS. Two batteries, an stand-alone charger, and a carrying case are under $23 on Amazon.

Reaction score
acejavelin said:
That is sweet, but like dressagerider1 I don't like the bulk, my solution is to carry a second standard battery... simple process, 3 minutes to change battery from power off to back up and running on ICS. Two batteries, an stand-alone charger, and a carrying case are under $23 on Amazon.

As a women, the bulk did not work for me. I thought really hard about doing what you are and getting a 2nd standard battery. Verizon offered to let me teu the maxx and I decided to just do that. I am really pleased with the maxx and love the battery but will always say the rezound is an amazing phone!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
acejavelin said:

That's the beautiful thing about a removable battery we have both options if we don't want live parked next to a charger all day, two batteries or an extended one. With the built in batteries, they have no options but to carry a charger. (The Maxx being the only exception) But they are getting better. The new LG phone looks promising.

Snoking

Reaction score
There is a review running on the M here on DFs. The camera appears to be lacking. Poor old RZ just does not get it's just credit as a great smartphone!

Reaction score
Snoking said:
There is a review running on the M here on DFs. The camera appears to be lacking. Poor old RZ just does not get it's just credit as a great smartphone!

Hate to hear that about the M. My razor maxx takes great pictures

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Yep, currently grandfathered into the unlimited and was very dissapointed to
hear I would have to tiered if I upgraded (and also how my $30 New Every 2
would conveniently was a BS $30 "upgrade" fee, but that's another matter.
Yeah...it's complete BS. But I figured since the phone was so cheap, I could eat that extra $30...still coming out way ahead.

AmishButcher said:
Really good stuff, thanks for your time and effort. The 720p display is
still the biggest thing for me with the Rezound, as I mentioned earlier, I
highly doubt that display will NOT be just as amazing 2 years from now. As
for the Beats headphones, I was under the impression they weren't anything
too special, a mid-level type quality. As for the music piece, I'm still
the old-school torrent -> iPod guy. Don't wanna get into my digi music
preferences as this response is already too long, but to sum, I like NEVER
having to worry about space and having to pick and choose songs...I want em
all on there, a music hoarder! haha
The beats headphones are very nice. The build quality is excellent. When you hold them, you can just tell they are of high quality. The cords/wires are rubber, not plastic...and the earbuds are metal and have a bit of weight to them.
People are asking $60-$70 or so for them on ebay.
I ended up keeping mine because I needed a new pair and wanted to treat myself.

And about streaming music, Google Play allows for 20,000 songs and each song can be up to 250mb. And I believe you can buy as many songs as you want from Google Play Music and they do not count against your 20,000 song limit.

I have 2600 songs uploaded to Google Music. It says if I play them all from 1st to last, it will play for 5 days straight.
I have over 17,000 songs to go before it's full. Needless to say, it may as well be unlimited for me because I'll never reach 20,000.

One thing that is nice about Google Music, is that the music manager monitors specific folders (that you designate) on your computer, and any new songs you add to those folders are automatically uploaded to Google Music.

I know a lot of folks have A LOT more music than I do though, and 20,000 songs might not be enough (that's a sh*t ton of music though). How many songs do you have?