Researching the Rezound . . . and Razr MAXX

acejavelin

Reaction score
My friends both got LG Spectrum's, which was a big mistake. However FoxFi WiFi tether does work!
Why were these a mistake? We have a couple in my office and both people are reasonably happy with them, they would not be my choice for a phone but for people who use daily they don't complain about them at all, except for the charging port on the top is kind of a pain.

acousticshade

Reaction score
My friends both got LG Spectrum's, which was a big mistake. However FoxFi WiFi tether does work!

Yea, I'm curious too. I briefly looked at the Spectrum because it came out 2 weeks after I got my Rezound, but the Rezound felt more polished overall and the camera was definately better (and I use my phone camera A LOT! Over 5,000 photos in 6 months.), thus I stuck with the Rezound.

The Spectrum screen in some ways is an improvement to the Rezounds and both screens are considerably better than the RAZR line.

Snoking

Reaction score
Mostly clunky user intetface. Only three hardware bottons. Lots of problems setting up email. One failed completely first two weeks.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have to say that coming from my Rezound, which I really loved, I love this Galaxy S3 even more. Again, best thing to do is go to the store and choose for yourself. None of them will be laggy and they'll each serve you well. Now it's time to base it off what FEELS right for you.

Also battery life is great. Might take some tweaking from default settings depending where you live, but once you get it right it's unrivaled for a standard/removeable battery. And it's so freaking light. My Rezound was like a brick compared to a business card.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Mostly clunky user intetface. Only three hardware bottons. Lots of problems setting up email. One failed completely first two weeks.
Hmmm... I can see the UI being clunky but neither has complained about that, thinking Holo Launcher could fix that up quick enough if needed. As far as buttons go, have not heard a single negative about only having three and no issues setting up Email on either unit. I think both of them are about 5-6 months old (February?) and not had any real issues hardware wise.

I asked quick and one person did say it didn't sound as good on either the handset or the speaker as his old phone, which was an HTC Incredible, other than that has had no problems.

Snoking

Reaction score
acejavelin said:
Hmmm... I can see the UI being clunky but neither has complained about that, thinking Holo Launcher could fix that up quick enough if needed. As far as buttons go, have not heard a single negative about only having three and no issues setting up Email on either unit. I think both of them are about 5-6 months old (February?) and not had any real issues hardware wise.

I asked quick and one person did say it didn't sound as good on either the handset or the speaker as his old phone, which was an HTC Incredible, other than that has had no problems.

Oh yeah, sound quality was another complaint.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
We are researching the purchase of our first smartphones and have narrowed the field to the HTC Rezound and the Motorola Razr MAXX. We live in a rural area with limited cell coverage and need good reception and connectivity. Many reviews I have read state that the Razr has the best reception of the current crop of smartphones and that the Rezound has some reception issues.

Which reviews have said that? In my experience it is the opposite. The Rezound has the best reception of any phone I have seen so far.

The Razr doesn't suck, but the Rezound is probably better in that area.

Also, I work outside much of the time and need a phone that is reasonably durable. The Razr has documented delicate screen issues; I have not read about this problem with the Rezound, it appears to be better able to withstand outside exposure.

LOL, again, just the opposite. While the Rezound is not fragile IMO, the Razr probably has the most durable phone you can get right now. Screen is gorilla glass and the body is Kevlar. Just be careful about bending it (as shown in this thread)...this is a hazard of all thin phones though.

The Rezound has a special glass display as well that is very resistant to damage...it is a product similar to gorilla glass. But IMO, real Gorilla glass is probably better.

Regarding the ICS upgrade available OTA, is this upgrade pre-installed in new Rezounds?

It is not, and probably won't be for a while yet.

The Rezound has a better camera, HD display, and has a removable battery. The Razr is thinner and more durable. That is the main difference between them.

My Rezound has the extended battery, and with it better battery life than even the Maxx. Thats why I do not give the maxx points for battery life. And you can always get a case for it if durability is an issue. The one way the Rezound cannot compete is thinness...the Razr phones are extremely thin by anyone's standards.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yea, I'm curious too. I briefly looked at the Spectrum because it came out 2 weeks after I got my Rezound, but the Rezound felt more polished overall and the camera was definately better (and I use my phone camera A LOT! Over 5,000 photos in 6 months.), thus I stuck with the Rezound.

The Spectrum screen in some ways is an improvement to the Rezounds and both screens are considerably better than the RAZR line.

The Spectrum has the best display of any phone right now IMO. Even better than the OneX. Certainly better than the pentile AMOLED displays on the GS3 and Nexus. It is a true HD IPS display.

The only thing the Rezound has on it is better ppi (the Rezound has the highest ppi of any phone right now as far as I know). And of course the Camera is better on the Rezound.

The Spectrum is an awesome phone. My friend has one. It's battery kinda sucks and the support sucks even more (it's LG...you have to expect that). But it is snappier than either the Rezound or the Razr. It feels very quick using it. Even without ICS.

OP
B

bawoo49

Reaction score
Oops! My mistake!

No, what I said was that there are only a couple mid to high end phones I would NOT recommend, and neither of them is the Rezound or Maxx...

Acejavelin, Please accept my apology for misreading your statement. When I read it again (thanks to Snoking for pointing out my error) I understood what you wrote.

I visited the local Verizon authorized dealer this morning and talked with a very knowledgeable associate about the Razr and the Rezound. He has a Razr MAXX and is very pleased with it, although he did say he likes HTC Sense better than Motorola Blur. He also said that a number of sales reps who call on his store and a number of his coworkers prefer HTC products over others they sell. Unfortunately, his store did not have an operational Rezound in inventory at that time. He did have an Incredible 4G that allowed me to experience first hand HTC Sense - ver. 4.0, not 3.5. I was very impressed with how Sense operates and how both the working Incredible and the display Rezound feel. Regarding the ICS upgrade, he said he would upgrade both phones for me before I take possession of them. The Rezounds in current inventory do not ship with ICE installed.

Looks like we will be getting new Rezounds in the near future - I'm going to wait a few days hoping for a lower price.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Acejavelin, Please accept my apology for misreading your statement. When I read it again (thanks to Snoking for pointing out my error) I understood what you wrote.

I visited the local Verizon authorized dealer this morning and talked with a very knowledgeable associate about the Razr and the Rezound. He has a Razr MAXX and is very pleased with it, although he did say he likes HTC Sense better than Motorola Blur. He also said that a number of sales reps who call on his store and a number of his coworkers prefer HTC products over others they sell. Unfortunately, his store did not have an operational Rezound in inventory at that time. He did have an Incredible 4G that allowed me to experience first hand HTC Sense - ver. 4.0, not 3.5. I was very impressed with how Sense operates and how both the working Incredible and the display Rezound feel. Regarding the ICS upgrade, he said he would upgrade both phones for me before I take possession of them. The Rezounds in current inventory do not ship with ICE installed.

Looks like we will be getting new Rezounds in the near future - I'm going to wait a few days hoping for a lower price.
Apology accepted, but not really needed, I was not offended at all and should have been more clear in my statement.

I am sure you will be very happy with your choice! Enjoy your new phones when you get them!

One word of advice, when you get them, before you setup anything, do the ICS update, then factory default and start over, it will probably save you headaches in the future!

Last edited:
OP
B

bawoo49

Reaction score
This may be my last Rezound question, but I'm not betting the farm on it! LOL

I have read good reviews and comments about the Motorola Smartactions App. Does HTC include a similar app with the Rezound?

I want to thank all of you for your patience and help. I am now much more confident that I have made the right decision.

acejavelin

Reaction score
This may be my last Rezound question, but I'm not betting the farm on it! LOL

I have read good reviews and comments about the Motorola Smartactions App. Does HTC include a similar app with the Rezound?

I want to thank all of you for your patience and help. I am now much more confident that I have made the right decision.
I will be honest, I knew nothing about this but googled it quick and that is pretty cool, and I don't think HTC has anything like that, we used to have some Power and Sleep profiles but those are gone in ICS... but I would bet there is an app in the Play Store to give the Rezound similar functionality. I will let someone else chime in on this one, as I am curious too.

<Runs to son's Bionic to check it out!!!> <Doesn't see it so Googles to find out that it won't get it until ICS update is released> :angry:

HowardZ

Reaction score
I want a rezound with a 6 inch 1080p screen, quad core CPU, 2 gb memory, sd card, and huge removable 5000 ma battery with a hole in the battery for the camera, and another hole for the speaker. it should have a stylus pen, and an optional dock with keyboard.

It's not enough to run jelly bean, it needs to come with keylime pie. no, make that watermelon. nope I want honeydew. that way I speak and my honey does. oh and it needs to be a global unlocked phone that works on Verizon, AT&T, sprint, and T-Mobile. oh, and make it a nexus too.

it needs to have artificial intelligence to play all the old songs which I can't remember the names. I will hum a few bars, and then it downloads and plays the rest of the song.

I will think of more requirements later

Last edited:

MJKneuro

Reaction score
HowardZ said:
I want a rezound with a 6 inch 1080p screen, quad core CPU, 2 gb memory, sd card, and huge removable 5000 ma battery with a hole in the battery for the camera, and another hole for the speaker. it should have a stylus pen, and an optional dock with keyboard.

It's not enough to run jelly bean, it needs to come with keylime pie. no, make that watermelon. nope I want honeydew. that way I speak and my honey does. oh and it needs to be a global unlocked phone that works on Verizon, AT&T, sprint, and T-Mobile. oh, and make it a nexus too.

it needs to have artificial intelligence to play all the old songs which I can't remember the names. I will hum a few bars, and then it downloads and plays the rest of the song.

I will think of more requirements later

I hear that the new BB comes with an MR app that anticipates your intent and completes the task by the time you pick the phone up. Sounds really cool!