Deciding between Nexus and Rezound

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I am still learning my way around the Rezound, and am really liking it a lot. But I am learning that some of what I had assumed, based on reading online, and seeing statistics, is simply not the case.

I have been using the Nexus for several months, thinking the Rezound had a superior screen, based on PPI stats, etc. After actually using it a lot, and comparing it side by side with the Nexus, I have found out that is not the case. The Rezound has a great screen, and may technically have a higher PPI, but when used directly beside the Nexus, on the same HD Youtube video, the much better contrast on the Nexus renders an overall better image quality.

I am trying to fiddle with the settings on the Rezound to see if I can make the contrast better, but so far havent been able to help it much. The Rezound is very sharp, and has a great screen overall. It is just that next to the very high contrast screen of the Nexus, it looks pretty washed out, and low contrast. PPI stats dont show that.

The more I use the camera on the Rezound, the more impressed I am though. It is the best cell phone camera I have seen.

I still have a lot of testing to do though. I think it is a great device so far, and wouldnt feel bad using either device.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I am still learning my way around the Rezound, and am really liking it a lot. But I am learning that some of what I had assumed, based on reading online, and seeing statistics, is simply not the case.

I have been using the Nexus for several months, thinking the Rezound had a superior screen, based on PPI stats, etc. After actually using it a lot, and comparing it side by side with the Nexus, I have found out that is not the case. The Rezound has a great screen, and may technically have a higher PPI, but when used directly beside the Nexus, on the same HD Youtube video, the much better contrast on the Nexus renders an overall better image quality.

I am trying to fiddle with the settings on the Rezound to see if I can make the contrast better, but so far havent been able to help it much. The Rezound is very sharp, and has a great screen overall. It is just that next to the very high contrast screen of the Nexus, it looks pretty washed out, and low contrast. PPI stats dont show that.

The more I use the camera on the Rezound, the more impressed I am though. It is the best cell phone camera I have seen.

I still have a lot of testing to do though. I think it is a great device so far, and wouldnt feel bad using either device.

The Nexus screen is nice, but not as good as the Rezound IMO. The Rezound is super crisp, sharp and displays colors with great accuracy. The Nexus is over-saturated and has too much contrast. It's like putting makeup on an ugly woman; trying to make things appear better than they really are.

Don't believe me, take a screenshot of your Nexus' home screen and view it on a regular computer monitor. It will look totally different. Or take a photo with the camera, and do the same. It will look nice in your gallery, but in a "normal" display, it looks blah.

The Rezound on the other hand has a WYSIWYG screen. I feel this is more important than an over-saturated cartoonish looking display, especially when it come to photos, as you may think they look nice, but the rest of the world sees things differently.

The other thing I hated about the Nexus' screen was that whites appeared very 'dirty' as you dimmed the brightness. Huge turn off! On the Rezound, they're as white as can be, at all brightness levels.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I meant to ask about Swype. Is it available on the Rezound? I will go search.

Yes it is. But on the Rezound it's called Trace not Swype.

This was posted on my Rezound using DroidForums.

jrredho

Reaction score
I didn't know this, but, not knowing much about the Rezound, I installed Swype itself on my Rezound. You have to download the installer from beta.swype.com first, then follow the instructions on the webpage to complete the install process. IMO, Swype has gotten better over time, and the Rezound has enough firepower to make it snappy. Good luck, john

jcardona1

Reaction score

This was posted on my Rezound using DroidForums.

I like Trace a lot more than Swype, but for some reason Trace only works in certain text boxes. Like in the browser, it reverts to the regular touch keyboard. I don't understand why HTC did that.

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I have noticed too that Trace only works in certain boxes. I like it overall, but sometimes the text prediction is stubborn and tries to use words that arent even close.

After a couple more days with the rezound, I am coming to like it more. When not watching videos, where I believe it comes in second to the Nexus, due to less contrast (I dont believe one can have too much as someone mentioned) the screen is super crisp, accurate and overall just very clear. Color is excellent, and with a little darker blacks it would be just about perfect.

I really hope it gets 4.0 soon, because I definitely miss that. Other than that, I am impressed. The precision and accuracy of the screen really makes it just jump out at you and it looks very high end.

Other aspects of the phone, the speaker and the ear buds are just excellent. Overall feel is better than the Nex. Not as slippery, and the smaller size makes it easier to manipulate everything one handed. With the Nex it was quite difficult to do everything with one hand, and my hands are large.

This phone can run right with the Nexus, and I think with the addition of a properly implemented 4.0 it will be overall a better device for me.

ETA- I forgot my favorite part. When it comes to the camera, the Nexus is simply an unfair comparison. The Rezound camera is simply in a different league. Phenomenal camera with some great options. It is just an excellent camera all around and really separates itself from the Nex and other devices. Camera is a big deal to me, and this one amazes. Although, I havent yet seen where one can do panoramic shots. I am pretty sure I read the Rezound does pano's. Any tips?

ETA2- Another thing that is a big deal. The very quick switched from wi-fi to 3g is very nice. Always quick, to the point I just take it for granted. Oftentimes, I would have to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off and wait a while when coming off wi-fi to 3g. Also, where I work Verizon is very weak, signal wise. The Rezound is noticeably better as far as signal. Very good deal, as this is the main purpose of the phone. I had many issues with texts not going through from the office on the Nex. They would bounce back and I would have to resend 2-3 times. Not the case with the Rezound.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Rezound has a excellent radio indeed. GPS lock is great on Rezound too.

It has a higher resolution than the nexus screen but is slcd, that's why it seems brighter and the nexus (amoled) is seems more saturated. Both look good to me, nexus is just more colorful and Rezound is more crisp.

Ics will be Sense ridden, but I have ran it and I like it. I am a Sense fan though.

sent from my Rezound

acousticshade

Reaction score
The Nexus screen is nice, but not as good as the Rezound IMO. The Rezound is super crisp, sharp and displays colors with great accuracy. The Nexus is over-saturated and has too much contrast. It's like putting makeup on an ugly woman; trying to make things appear better than they really are.

The other thing I hated about the Nexus' screen was that whites appeared very 'dirty' as you dimmed the brightness. Huge turn off! On the Rezound, they're as white as can be, at all brightness levels.

That's one of the things that I really did not like about the Nexus. As soon as you turned the screen below 80%, it just looked dull. Heck, at 20%, sometimes the Rezound screen is actually too bright in a dimly lit room, but still looks amazing. The Rezound's screen is NOT the best in bright sunlight though.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
..... The Rezound's screen is NOT the best in bright sunlight.....
That's the one thing I don't like about my Rezound. Can't see the screen outside well enough to use most functions, even in the shade of my own shadow.
Well, the $50 deal on the Rezound is history. It's back up to $199 online.

jcardona1

Reaction score
When not watching videos, where I believe it comes in second to the Nexus, due to less contrast (I dont believe one can have too much as someone mentioned) the screen is super crisp, accurate and overall just very clear. Color is excellent, and with a little darker blacks it would be just about perfect.

Yeah, I'll give you that much. Lots of contrast and saturation is nice when watching videos/movies. Same concept as TVs. Punchy contrast and bright colors, moreso than a regular computer monitor. View a photograph on a TV and you'll notice it looks very different than it did on your computer, for that very same reason.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Although, I havent yet seen where one can do panoramic shots. I am pretty sure I read the Rezound does pano's. Any tips?

It sure does do Panoramic shots! Click on 'Scenes' when the camera is open. There's a Panoramic option :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have noticed too that Trace only works in certain boxes. I like it overall, but sometimes the text prediction is stubborn and tries to use words that arent even close.

After a couple more days with the rezound, I am coming to like it more. When not watching videos, where I believe it comes in second to the Nexus, due to less contrast (I dont believe one can have too much as someone mentioned) the screen is super crisp, accurate and overall just very clear. Color is excellent, and with a little darker blacks it would be just about perfect.

I really hope it gets 4.0 soon, because I definitely miss that. Other than that, I am impressed. The precision and accuracy of the screen really makes it just jump out at you and it looks very high end.

Other aspects of the phone, the speaker and the ear buds are just excellent. Overall feel is better than the Nex. Not as slippery, and the smaller size makes it easier to manipulate everything one handed. With the Nex it was quite difficult to do everything with one hand, and my hands are large.

This phone can run right with the Nexus, and I think with the addition of a properly implemented 4.0 it will be overall a better device for me.

ETA- I forgot my favorite part. When it comes to the camera, the Nexus is simply an unfair comparison. The Rezound camera is simply in a different league. Phenomenal camera with some great options. It is just an excellent camera all around and really separates itself from the Nex and other devices. Camera is a big deal to me, and this one amazes. Although, I havent yet seen where one can do panoramic shots. I am pretty sure I read the Rezound does pano's. Any tips?

ETA2- Another thing that is a big deal. The very quick switched from wi-fi to 3g is very nice. Always quick, to the point I just take it for granted. Oftentimes, I would have to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off and wait a while when coming off wi-fi to 3g. Also, where I work Verizon is very weak, signal wise. The Rezound is noticeably better as far as signal. Very good deal, as this is the main purpose of the phone. I had many issues with texts not going through from the office on the Nex. They would bounce back and I would have to resend 2-3 times. Not the case with the Rezound.

If you find yourself missing just the right moment in action shots try Frame Grabber on the market. I think it's. $2.49 but well worth the price. It makes still shots from your videos at full resolution and fps. I got it on my Incredible 1 and and Rezound and shooting videos on the Rezound makes some awesome stills of action shots with nice sized file sizes for printing.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the pano shots. That is cool, and makes this camera even more amazing.

Here is where I stand on my comparison. The reason I even got the Rezound here, along with my Nex is because my wife broke the screen on her Inc. She has never cared about phones, just wanted one that works. I told her I would use her upgrade on a Rezound, then give her my Nex and after a few weeks to compare, we'd decide which phone I'd keep, since she didnt care either way. Well, after about an hour with my Nex and me on the Rezound, she had decided, there was NO WAY she'd give up the Nexus. She fell in love with it.

After that first couple hours, I thought oh crap, I want my Nex back. That was mostly because of the difference watching videos. Well, after a couple more days with the Rezound, the short version is there is no way I'd trade back. I REALLY hope we get 4.0 soon, but that is my only complaint.

I am growing to love this phone. The screen is great, the camera is amazing (and this is important to me) the speed with which it switches between radios is phenomenal. There is a stark contrast between the HTC and the Samsung when it comes to signal strangth. At the office, I only had wi-fi essentially. When I went to lunch, or left the office, or whatever, I had no signal for a while. Just that simple. With the Rezound, I can make calls with a strong signal, quickly send and receive texts, etc. The Nex straight up couldnt. These are very critical things and the Rezound currently beats the Nexus handily here. Hopefully the Nexus receives updates to fix this. For now, the Rezound is a superior phone, currently. I say this as a big Nexus fan and I am glad I have both in my household.

The Nexus has an overall better screen, despite my still rating the overall screen quality as a huge plus on the Rezound. Just using them both, I think overall the Nexus still wins in this category. I cant understate how good I think the Rezound's screen is, it is just that the Nexus is a little better. Just my opinion.

Secondly, the Nexus has 4.0. Having used both extensively, 4.0 is superior and I will be REALLY happy when the Rezound gets it. For now, only the Nex has it, and that is a win for the Nex.

That's it. Rezound wins everywhere else.
-Signal strength- Rezound (handily)
-Surfing the web is notably quicker
-Camera- not even close. On the Nexus the camera is serviceable and that's it. It is a net negative. But as good as the Rezound camera is, the Nex could have a great camera and still lag behind. The Rezound has set a new bar for me on cell phone cameras. Simply amazing and all future phones will have a tough time surpassing it.
-Speaker volume. Rezound (handily, both in volume and sound quality)
-build quality- Rezound (though not by a ton, Nexus feels built with quality, but a bit fragile. Rezound comparitively feels like old school but heavy duty, tank like. Inspires confidence whereas the Nexus left me worried about dropping it)
-Handling- Rezound. (That beautiful huge screen on the Nexus is a compromise. I have large hands but struggled to handle the Nexus one handed. The Rezound is the sweet spot as far as size.)

Overall, I take the Rezound, but I do that assuming it will have a good version of 4.0 soon. I love HTC Sense, but 4.0 simply is a great evolution of the Android OS and needs to be well implemented on the Rezound and soon.

I basically have both phones here in front of me, and could go with either one. I would rather have the Rezound with me every day. It is superior in too many critical categories. And vastly so in some that are very important to me. In my opinion the Rezound is an overall better device, by quite a margin in several categories. And this is quite a statement for me, because I think a ton of the Nexus. The Rezound is just better.

rayclem

Reaction score
I agree with hydro556. The Rezound is better.

Around Christmas time, my wife and I decided to switch from AT&T to Verizon because I was impressed with the speed of Verizon 4G LTE. It is blazingly fast- as fast as my Comcast cable at home. My wife decided to get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I decided on the Rezound after doing a lot of research. The Rezound gets downplayed by the media since it is not as "sexy" as the Nexus. It certainly is heavier- more robust IMO. However, the reason it is heavier is that it has better hardware. When you purchase a phone on a two year contract you are married to that hardware for two years. The Galaxy Nexus may currently have better software (ICS and Verizon bloat removed), but the Rezound will get ICS officially in the next few weeks or months. If you are desperate for ICS now, you can use one of the leaked and modified ROMs. The leaked ROMs are not polished. However, I decided to wait as my Rezound works quite well with Gingerbread. I liked Sense OK, but was not thrilled, so I installed GO Launcher and am pleased with the results.

Hear are some of the things that made me want to go with the Rezound.

1. The Rezound has the fastest dual-core CPU available- 1.5 MHZ Snapdragon. Although quad core chips are coming, they will come with increased power demands. Nexus only has a 1.2 MHZ Samsung Cortex A9 CPU.
2. Both phones come with 720 x 1280 resolution screens, 16M colors. The Rezound is LCD, the Nexus is AMOLED. The choce here is a matter of personal preference. The Nexus screen is slightly larger, so the Rezound has a higher screen pixel density. I have poor eyesight and have no issue reading the Rezound screen.
3. Rezound has excellent camera. 8 MP. Can record 1080P video. Nexus only 5 MP.
4. Rezound comes with 16MB internal memory and 16 MB microSD card. If you need more memory, you can use up to 32MB in the microSD slot for a total of 48MB. The Nexus has no card slot, so your are limited to 16 GB internal storage.
4. The Rezound has excellent audio quality. Use the native audio player or PowerAmp Pro to use Beats Audio. You do NOT have to use Beats headphones.
5. Both phone have removable battery, something the Droid RAZR does not have.
6. Both phones have HDMI output is your purchase an MHL connector.

Thus, if you want official ICS now, go with the Nexus. If you are willing to wait for ICS on the Rezound, go with the superior hardware.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I picked the Nexus over the Rezound for two big reasons (obviously your experiences, preferences, etc. may differ).

1. ICS / AOSP - while I realize that most phones that get updated to ICS by their manufacturers/carriers and therefore the devs can remove bloat and give you an AOSP experience, it's nice to have a phone that just IS. The only thing I did fancy to it was unlock the bootloader and root it. I'm totally comfortable trying out custom ROMs, but I just haven't needed to, and it's a nice change from flashing a new ROM every week on my Thunderbolt to try something newer. ICS is beautiful and functional. I didn't want to wait for it to come out for the Rezound, and wait further for a dev to get something AOSP out.

2. Screen / Body Style - the Nexus screen is just gorgeous plain and simple. Plus there's not a lot of bezel around it (aside from the top and bottom where the speaker/camera/etc is). After having the HTC Thunderbolt, I wanted something that opened up as much screen as possible. I got sick of HTC's body styling. All of their phones look essentially the same. The Nexus is slim, and the slight curve is a nice touch.

Those were my two big reasons. I know a lot of people had complaints about the signal quality of the Nexus, but I have had no problems with it. The 'worse' camera isn't a deal breaker for me either. For my use, it takes good quality pictures, and I was actually really impressed with the video quality. The Beats Audio stuff didn't phase me at all either. I don't do much music listening on my phone, and I didn't care about the headphones, since I use different ones at the gym anyway so they don't fall out of my ears.

People also talk about how the Rezound has better hardware, and arguable, yes, it does, I guess. But really, I don't need it, or wonder if I'm missing out. The Nexus is snappy as-is. I don't even over clock it. Though maybe ICS's hardware acceleration helps here. People also give the Nexus crap because it doesn't have removable storage capacity. Again, I don't need it. I got the 32GB size, and I don't store music locally on my phone, so I don't see capacity being a problem.

I'm happy with my choice, and honestly could see this lasting for 2 years, instead of me getting annoyed with it and buying a used phone off-contract to last the remainder of my term.