Replacing the build.prop file

cubsfan187

Reaction score
I did see a thread on this in the forum but again...don't want to hijack that one. I am trying to get the 2.3.340 update and can't get it to work for this reason, I didn't make a good backup before 'morphing' my Dx. (stupid...yes lesson learned...yes) Anyway the update won't take because of these changes to the phone. I have the original build.prop on the phone and sd card as well as the build.prop I am currently using. What I need to know is this, how do I go about replacing it? Do I set permissions on the original (to what permissions too) and then delete the modified one? The phone reboots itself 2 times a day trying to install this update and I want to fix it. Any more help with this would be greatly appreciated. That is what I love about this forum. Always help to be found.

scarmack

Reaction score
i wish i could help you. i make things look pretty, i dont make them function. my guess. in theory, if you have the old build you can simply replace it and then reboot and ta da. but i doubt its that easy. sorry man

RedWingsFan

Reaction score
If you don't have Root Explorer, I would suggest getting it and using it. You can copy or move the original Build Prop file to the System folder. You will have to mount the folder R/W (button at the top), paste the file then long press on it, select properties and insure that it is Read - Write - Blank; Read - Blank - Blank; Read - Blank - Blank on the check boxes. Hope this helps. Make sure you have everything backed up to the stone age just in case you have to restore.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Well I changed the permissions on the original file after copying it over. Moved into the system file. Got rid of the modified build.prop (after copying that to the sd card). Closed root explorer. Rebooted and crossed fingers. Hit the boot logo fine...then nothing. Black/blank screen. Had to reboot into recovery. Maybe I didn't get the right build.prop original files. I dont know. Does anyone have those files or know where I can get another copy?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

maderschramm

Reaction score
You should have just replaced the modified build.prop with the stock one, not deleted the one you had.

That said, if you're bootlooping a factory reset may solve your problems:

Power off, hold home + power, ! icon comes up, press search button, select factory reset.

If that doesn't work, an sbf is in your future.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Stupid question then...how do you just replace it? Once you copy it over you then have two .prop files in the system folder. How do you tell the system to boot with one and not the other? I trying so desperately not to do a reset or flash to avoid losing all I've done. I know I am sounding like a total noob but im just trying to learn this so I don't ask as many questions..haha.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Adb tools would do it with the mv command. Root explorer would do it too by deleting build.prop and inserting the stock one in the same location

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
This is being done thru root explorer. When I copy it over it puts right next to the modified one I am running. Then both have this little shield like icon over the actual .prop file icon. The permissions are the same on both. Should the modified one have different permissions once the other is copied over from the sd card? This is why I deleted the file all together. If that should have worked then I think I got a bad build.prop file and will look for a new one. I really appreciate all the help on this. I will go to great lengths to avoid taking the easy way out and doing a factory reset. Unless that's the last resort, its not teaching me to troubleshoot and learn.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Quick bump to see what to do next.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
The problem is that im trying to replace the build file to get it to load into the stock build. That os the only way I can get the. 340 update. I have both build files on the sd card and the modified one in the system folder. When I copy the original one over to the system folder via root explorer, it places it next to the current one in use. I changed permissions on the original one and deleted the modified one. Reboot and it gets stuck on a black screen after the boot logo. I then have to do a batt pull to boot into recovery and cm. Im stuck on whats going on. Is the original build.prop file I got bad? Im just not sure. I hope that I explained it a little clearer this time. Lol.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Well...to get to.340 there's an .sbf that you use which nukes the /system folder anyway...so isn't your problem moot?

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
I don't think so because im not trying an sbf. I still trying to get the ota update from last week. Im trying to go through the process to learn and not just start over with the phone. I just don't know why when I load the original build file it gets stuck. I'm thinking that maybe that file is no good. But I don't know for sure. The only thing I did when I got the phone was use metamorph to change the batt icon, signal icon and a few others. When I try to do the ota and hold the search button while it loads I get errors for the framework.res which are the meters I changed. Some of which I can't find the original files for to just change them back.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Maybe im just too hopeful I can do things this way instead of just wiping the phone.