A Little Help Please.....

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Ok I know this has been discussed a little in a few other threads but I didn't want to hijack those so I am making a new one. I have been trying for 2 days to install the new 2.3.340 update with no luck. I have unrooted and even tried that way with no luck. I am running the stock rom but have done a few 'morphs' to the phone. I'm stuck as what to do next to get this update. I've never flashed an SBF so if that is what needs to be done I would ask for help with that too....lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
already asked but did you remove any apps (bloatware)? if so it ALL needs to be replaced for the update to work.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
it's not an error except that it says 'update failed.' Yes I removed amazon mp3, kindle and blockbuster. I read somewhere yesterday that since i changed the notification icons (battery, signal, 3g, ect.) that it changed the build.prop file and that needed to be changed back as well. Is that also true? If so how is that done? I can get all the stock meters back with no problem from the website I got the new stuff from so that won't be bad. The bloatware can be done from the market too so that's an easy fix. Oh, also changed the boot logo. That is being changed back right now to test it out.

Edit: boot logo changed back. Getting bloatware back as well now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah that bloatware will trip you up every time. when i first started trying to mod my phone the first thing i did was delete all that stuff, only to find you need it to get any kind of official updates. that was when i learned how to sbf.

i would suggest (if you are familiar with and use bootstrapper/rom manager) making a clean backup as soon as you install the new update. that way if you ever need a it, you'll always have one ready to go.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Well I got it all back installed except for the city id app. can't find that one in the market. At least not the one that came preinstalled on the DX anyway. I am still new to my DX. It's been 3 weeks that I've had it now so I'm still learning how to make mods and backups and all that. What is the best way to do the backup?

Very sorry for all the noob ?'s but the last thing I need is to have to wipe the phone clean and start all over.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I got it all back installed except for the city id app. can't find that one in the market. At least not the one that came preinstalled on the DX anyway. I am still new to my DX. It's been 3 weeks that I've had it now so I'm still learning how to make mods and backups and all that. What is the best way to do the backup?

Very sorry for all the noob ?'s but the last thing I need is to have to wipe the phone clean and start all over.

City ID will be your downfall. I have seen numerous other post to where this is an issue. And I know as well from experience. If you need help finding the apk let me know. But I have a feeling it will not help.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score

City ID will be your downfall. I have seen numerous other post to where this is an issue. And I know as well from experience. If you need help finding the apk let me know. But I have a feeling it will not help.

I tried the update again after installing all that I could find with no luck again. I'm not sure where to go from here now. Not that there is much to this update but I want to be ready for the gingerbread release (whenever that may be).

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
It's very wierd, the update will dl then it will reboot and try to install. The loader bar gets about 30% in and then the ! pops up and it reboots and says update failed. Not sure why now.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

I tried the update again after installing all that I could find with no luck again. I'm not sure where to go from here now. Not that there is much to this update but I want to be ready for the gingerbread release (whenever that may be).

Well I hate to say the famous 3 letters but you may be looking at an "sbf", unless someone comes with a better solution.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
I found the apk for cityid but it won't install. That is the lasst thing I needed for this to try again. As fas as sbf....I have no idea how to do that or even where to start yet. Man I feel so dumb with this phone...lol.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's very wierd, the update will dl then it will reboot and try to install. The loader bar gets about 30% in and then the ! pops up and it reboots and says update failed. Not sure why now.

That's exactly what happened with my first before the 2.2 OTA update. I did everything in reverse that I had taken off the phone and couldn't get it to go.

I installed all apk's, fixed permissions, made sure they were system apps again and made sure they worked. Everything seemed well and I got nothing. It would download, I would go to install, it would start unzipping files after restart, get 30% and then restart itself. After phone booted up it would say update failed.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found the apk for cityid but it won't install. That is the lasst thing I needed for this to try again. As fas as sbf....I have no idea how to do that or even where to start yet. Man I feel so dumb with this phone...lol.

I'm not gonna be very good as far as help goes for an sbf. All I can say is Google it and make sure that if your running the OTA 2.2 froyo to get RSD Lite 4.8 and the file sbf name will look like this>>> VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01. It will not be a zip so I believe you have to find the file through RSD before you start the flash.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
ok a quick update. Got all the apk's to install except the cityid. Still won't install for some reason. I was then stuck trying to flash the sbf to stock. Well that was interesting in itself. Got all the programs installed and hooked up the phone in the bootloader and RSD wouldn't show me the file properties. The start button stayed grayed out so that option didn't work either. I give up! Screw this update. lol. I'll wait til gingerbread comes out I guess. Can't figure out what else to do.

Reaction score
when you say cityid won't install, are you trying to install using the package installer? if that is the case and you are getting a message saying "application not installed', try this: put the apk on your sd card. with root explorer, copy it and paste it in the /system/app folder (make sure you press "mount r/w" towards the top of the screen or it won't work). once it is in there, find it and long press on it until the popup menu shows. select permissions and check only the following :

user - read, write
group - read
others - read

reboot and see if it shows up in your app drawer

regarding your sbf problem, the start button will be greyed out until you actually select the sbf file on your computer. i can't really do much from work, but if you are still having problems i can try and post when i get home to see if i can help a little.