A Little Help Please.....

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
when you say cityid won't install, are you trying to install using the package installer? if that is the case and you are getting a message saying "application not installed', try this: put the apk on your sd card. with root explorer, copy it and paste it in the /system/app folder (make sure you press "mount r/w" towards the top of the screen or it won't work). once it is in there, find it and long press on it until the popup menu shows. select permissions and check only the following :

user - read, write
group - read
others - read

reboot and see if it shows up in your app drawer

regarding your sbf problem, the start button will be greyed out until you actually select the sbf file on your computer. i can't really do much from work, but if you are still having problems i can try and post when i get home to see if i can help a little.[/]

I'm not quite sure how to change the permissions on it. I have it in the system app folder (was copied from the sd card) and even in the folder it says "cityid (no install)". I'm using Super Manager not root explorer if that helps. Same concept but only free...haha.

AS for the sbf now, I did select the file to flash and still nothing shows up on the file properties part of RSD Lite. I tried two different dl sites to make sure it wasn't the file and they both do the same thing. I am not given the option to select 'run as admin' when you right click on the icon to start the program either. I will take a pic of the screen and show you what I mean. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. And to think.....I'm doing all this for an update that isn't even Gingerbread. What was I thinking???

Last edited:
Reaction score
if your profile on your computer has you as the administrator, you should be able to run it normally. i will post when i get home and see if i can try and help you out

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
if your profile on your computer has you as the administrator, you should be able to run it normally. i will post when i get home and see if i can try and help you out

I'm set up as the admin on my cpu but from what I've read everywhere that is why I am not getting the file to load up. (cause I can'y run that as admin correctly). I won't even worry about flashing if I can get the cityid to finally install. I will be back on tonight after 8:30 (CST) to see if anyone knows how to change the permissions to get that to install.

Reaction score
ok so i downloaded super manager, and it does not allow you to change the permissions on files. if you plan on continuing down the road of roms and hacking, i would strongly suggest picking up root explorer. for $3.95, it's really worth every penny. without that, you are going to have to use the sbf.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Ok i'll dl that and try it but I still don't know the way to change permissions. Im on my phone out to dinner with my daughter so when I get home i'll dl it and hop back on to see and replies.

Reaction score
once you have root explorer, find the cityid.apk, i would assume you might have it on your sd card. first, make sure you select mount r/w in the upper left corner. once you do it should look like this:

ro.png

long press it to copy and paste it in the /system/app folder.
once you've pasted it, long press cityid.apk again and select permissions. when the next window pops up, make it look like this:

screenshot_1.png

hit ok, reboot, and check your app drawer.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
once you have root explorer, find the cityid.apk, i would assume you might have it on your sd card. first, make sure you select mount r/w in the upper left corner. once you do it should look like this:

ro.png

long press it to copy and paste it in the /system/app folder.
once you've pasted it, long press cityid.apk again and select permissions. when the next window pops up, make it look like this:

screenshot_1.png

hit ok, reboot, and check your app drawer.

I will get to this in the morning now. I tried to buy root explorer tonight and it says it's purchased but won't dl or install. Very strange. I am waiting for an email back from the dev to see what to do. I appreciate all the help! I'll keep posting back as soon as I get the app working.

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Quick update again. Still can't dl root explorer. It says in my market downloads that I have purchased it but when I try to press install it says authorizing then purchased then starting dl. After about 2-3 sec it stops and does nothing. I have sent the dev 2 emails since last night and nothing yet. Still trying.

Update: Got the app directly emailed to me from the dev. have it installed....trying the process now.

application not installed.

Last edited:
OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Still not installing as I said in the last post. Any ideas now??

at this point, nothing aside from an sbf. though it is concerning that you cannot install root explorer.

root explorer is installed. cityid is still the problem. I tried one apk and it wouldn't install. found another dl site and that one did install. trying to get the update to take now.

Reaction score
so the instructions i posted above for city id didn't work? maybe i should have stated that you never actually will be running the installation. the above steps should install it. hopefully, though the one you have now will work. good luck!

OP
cubsfan187

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Ok so I got all the apk's reinstalled in the system/app folder and that's good to go. Tried the update with no luck again. This time I hit the search button to see what was happening. It came back with framework.res errors and the build.prop error. Now I found the original 2.2 builder.prop files online but I need to know how to get the phone to load that file and not the one im currently using. I have already renamed both files and backed up the one im using to reinstall later. Anyone know how to do this process??

scf

Reaction score
email the build prop to yourself, then save on the phone. use root explorer to put it where it needs to be.