Removing stock messaging app...

dcorm

Reaction score
Same mistake

You can remove it with root as described above. I wouldn't do it though. Others mentioned in a number of posts that it's needed for other messengers to function.

I can confirm. Removing mms.apk will cause you to lose functionality. You will be able to send and recieve regular texts, but multimedia (pics, vids) will no longer appear when sent to the phone... Consider my findings a "D'oh" moment. :)

I did the same thing...what did you do to get the stock mms.apk back on your phone?

iGGz

Reaction score
You can remove it with root as described above. I wouldn't do it though. Others mentioned in a number of posts that it's needed for other messengers to function.

I can confirm. Removing mms.apk will cause you to lose functionality. You will be able to send and recieve regular texts, but multimedia (pics, vids) will no longer appear when sent to the phone... Consider my findings a "D'oh" moment. :)

lol thank you for your D'oh moment! I guess I won't remove it.

iGGz

Reaction score
Do you know if you can safely remove the stock email app?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yes the stock email app sucks. You can remove it, as its not tied to anything else.

Sent from somewhere...

stevegun

Reaction score
...fyi do not deleted your stock messaging app from your Droid 1 ..I did that when I first rooted and believe me...you won't get texts. Handcent didn't show any text messages coming in at all. I wanted to do this so when I do a wipe I wouldn't have to restore 11,000 messages (remember both messaging services have a copy), but this is the only way to have it. Definitley get SMS Backup/Restore from the market, it backs up all conversations and stores them on your SD, best part is its free. Titanium backup will save your app settings so you can rest easy during a wipe. Hope this helps.

stevegun

Reaction score
Stock Messaging App

Use this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damage incurred by the use of this file. MAKE A BACKUP! RECOVERY---> Apply Zip from SD card---> Find "Update Mms" and select, after finished choose reboot now

Attachments

• Update Mms.zip
    566.9 KB · Views: 147