Removing stock messaging app...

abourda725

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the stock messaging application and replace it with another application from the market? I know it might sound hard but i know that it can be done... After all the things weve done to our droid then i know this can be done... Someone has to step up and find out tho... Lol... I already know that i can disable the notifications for the stock messaging application. But i want to completely take this stock app off. Ive done it before with titanium but my messages would only come to the notification bar and they would never make it to my new messaging app from the market (handcent). So my theory is that you have to move the handcent folder somewhere that the regular messaging app was in before i moved it... Just wanted to see if anyone has had luck with this before i f*** my phone!!! Thanks in advance.. Im sure if i get an answer this will not only help me out....

Reaction score
if you root your phone and download "root explorer" from the market then you can navigate to where the stock messaging app is stored on your phone and you can either rename it or remove it all together. again this requires root access.

when using root explorer its in system ---> app ---> mms.apk so if you rename it to mms.apk.bak then it wont show up anymore on your phone

ohioDroid

Reaction score
My understanding is that the default Messaging app, like the default Email app, and the Visual VMail app and all those are built into the android OS on the Droid and can only be removed if you root the phone. Then you'd have access to kill them.

However...

I have Handcent. I turned the notifications off in the regular Messaging app, and use Handcent completely. Handcent gets everything just fine. The txt messages are stored in a place on the phone that both the Messaging app and Handcent have access to, and both programs are alerted of messages in the same way.

By turning off notifications from the regular Messaging app, and just installing Handcent, you SHOULD be good to go already...

OP
A

abourda725

Reaction score
Well i did take off the notifications for my stock app. But i just wanted to take it off so i could get the full advantage of the blacklist on handcent... I did download root manager and my phone is already rooted. But it wouldnt let me rename or remove the mms.apk file. I tried to move the handcent file into the system/app folder but it wouldnt let me it says that the file is read only.. Or something like that... So i guess the next step is to see if i can hide any of my apps in my launcher?

vrdubin6

Reaction score
Well i did take off the notifications for my stock app. But i just wanted to take it off so i could get the full advantage of the blacklist on handcent... I did download root manager and my phone is already rooted. But it wouldnt let me rename or remove the mms.apk file. I tried to move the handcent file into the system/app folder but it wouldnt let me it says that the file is read only.. Or something like that... So i guess the next step is to see if i can hide any of my apps in my launcher?

You need to hit the button on the top right that says "mount r/w"... you need to make the folder read/write in order to delete the .apk.

OP
A

abourda725

Reaction score
Ok now that takes off the mms.apk program... But now i need to reroute where my messages are going somehow.. Cause now my messages are only going to the notification bar and not into handcent... Man this is crazy..

vrdubin6

Reaction score
Ok now that takes off the mms.apk program... But now i need to reroute where my messages are going somehow.. Cause now my messages are only going to the notification bar and not into handcent... Man this is crazy..

Really? I have had the stock app named mms.apk.bak for awhile now and I have had no issues with them showing up in Handscent.. sorry man.

OP
A

abourda725

Reaction score
yes it didnt work for me when i added the .bak to the end of mms.apk
it takes away the mms app but the messages dont show up in handcent. only the notification bar... did you do anything else different besides changing the file extension?

droidemere

Reaction score
Pandahome allows you to hide the stock messaging app...I also wanted to get rid of it..but now I just deal with it..Pandahome laggs the phone too much..I wish they would've included hiding icons in this new update..but oh well.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
it takes away the mms app but the messages dont show up in handcent. only the notification bar... did you do anything else different besides changing the file extension?

Nope... nothing else. I'll let you know if I think of anything that might be causing the issue for you.

meannathan

Reaction score

Nope... nothing else. I'll let you know if I think of anything that might be causing the issue for you.

In another thread I ask the same question and they said if I remove it then I wouldn't be able to get MMS because handset worked with the default app so I never tried it let me know if you find a way to make it work

maciejc85

Reaction score
You can remove it with root as described above. I wouldn't do it though. Others mentioned in a number of posts that it's needed for other messengers to function.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Might be slightly off-topic but it'd have been cool if you were able to order your Droid bare, and they included all the stock .apk's with detailed instruction. Then they could have given us root access by default and let the device be truly customizable without voiding your warranty. They shouldn't force me to have Google Goggles, that's what the Market is for...

K.L.O.C.

Reaction score
You can remove it with root as described above. I wouldn't do it though. Others mentioned in a number of posts that it's needed for other messengers to function.

I can confirm. Removing mms.apk will cause you to lose functionality. You will be able to send and recieve regular texts, but multimedia (pics, vids) will no longer appear when sent to the phone... Consider my findings a "D'oh" moment. :)

homeboy123

Reaction score
Use dxtop... faster than pandahome and with the ability to long press on an icon in the app drawer and hide it. great as a home replacement and my choice as well... until I learn sweeter home...lol.