Setting Google Voice as the default messaging application on Droid

xowktiger

Reaction score
I downloaded the Google Voice application from the market and set up the Voicemail, but chose to keep my original number. But when I try to set it as the default text messaging, the only options that pop up are the stock messaging application and Handcent application. Do I need to get the new Google number for this, or is there a simpler solution?

xandor

Reaction score
You need to have a google voice # to be able to use google voice to send texts. Also, those get sent with your google voice #, not your normal cell phone #.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
X

xowktiger

Reaction score
I just got the Google Voice number, and went to gmail to check the "Forward text messages to my email" box. Also, on my phone I set up the Google Voice again to never make calls with GV number [EDIT: I changed the setting to "ask every time," but still no luck].
So far, I'm assuming that the texts that come to my new GV number will go into my gmail inbox, but the default text messaging application pop up only shows the stock application and Handcent. How do I set up the GV as the default texting application? Am I still missing something?

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
Google Voice doesn't do texting other than through the number, the app itself has nothing to do with texting. Are you trying to set either Handcent or the default messaging app to use your GV number as the "sent by" number?

OP
X

xowktiger

Reaction score
Google Voice doesn't do texting other than through the number, the app itself has nothing to do with texting. Are you trying to set either Handcent or the default messaging app to use your GV number as the "sent by" number?

Well, right now, I can go to google.com/voice to send text through my GV number, but I was hoping that the Google Voice app would enable me to text the same way through my phone as the default text application. Does it not work that way?

harrellj

Reaction score
Hrm... well, just went to the GV app and under menu is a compose button. How to make it default though, I dunno. I also don't text... at all (yes, I'm apparently part of a tiny minority of cell phone users).

More thinking though, why would you need to set it as default? GV should provide a notification for an incoming text.

Last edited:
OP
X

xowktiger

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now, but I'd prefer it I could get to GV as the default app

A

abn75

theres no way to set it up as the "default" app for txt msgs as far as i know. what i do is just use the app itself. open the app, hit compose, choose who i send it to and type away. the reply, if any, gets sent right back to the gv number, which shows in the app. you can set it up to notify you in the status bar just like the stock app.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Speaking of Google Voice texting, the setup in the app is just awful. I actually prefer the boring stock messaging app MUCH more than the way Google Voice sorts and displays text. Zero customization with the app. Clearly, I use it because it is free and so I will put up with this but I would hope Google improves the app's interface--or at least give us customization options.

A

abn75

yeah its kind of bland, but it does work. and why pay for texting when you can use data, since we have to have that lol.

papy72

Reaction score
Personally I think the GV app would be 100x better if they would just make all texts to/from a person appear in ONE thread. You know, the way Handcent does it.

As-is, I tolerate the app only because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the texting I do. :)

OP
X

xowktiger

Reaction score
Personally I think the GV app would be 100x better if they would just make all texts to/from a person appear in ONE thread. You know, the way Handcent does it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Anyway, back to the original issue, I guess the closest it'll get to as far as default texting app is going to contacts, then setting it as the default text SENDING app.
I don't understand why it can be default if I chose to text through the contacts list, but there is no such option if I just want it as my default text everything app.

Last edited:

Danariel

Reaction score
You need to go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Messaging and clear out the defaults on the stock messaging app. Then, the next time you try to text someone from Contacts, you'll get a box asking which one you want to use, Google Voice or Messaging.